The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-21-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Here is my review of version 4:

https://youtu.be/xkSAdFlG3F4
still not a great vocal amp
Old 03-21-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plugg View Post
Hi,

I currently have a Tanglewood T6 acoustic amp. I'm playing a Taylor 314ce electro-acoustic plugged into one channel and singing into an SM58 plugged in the other channel. It sounds nice, I've had a lot of fun with it but I am looking to upgrade.

I'm looking for a better set up with a richer sound and I'm considering buying the AER Compact 60 since they have such amazing reviews. I'm also looking at buying a Sennheiser e865 microphone.

My question is about the phantom power really. As my Taylor 314ce is an electro acoustic guitar with battery powered pickup, is this going to work?

The AER Compact 60 version 3 applies phantom power across both channels. Does this mean the electro acoustic will have to much power or something? I'm not quite sure how it works. Sorry if it's a dumb question!

Thanks in advance.
There's a Schertler David Deluxe in the classifieds section that I feel would be a better amp to handle the vocals! And guitars sound great through Schertlers. I have no relationship with the seller in the classifieds (hotroad), I just love Schertler amps and every time I put them back to back with an AER the Schertler had a much better vocal sound! As for the Sennheiser, don't buy the mic till you buy an amp and then go audition different mics through that amp!
Old 03-21-2019, 02:14 AM

I’m very happy with my Compact for vocals - I don’t get to use it that much as I’m most often singing through a PA but there you go!
Martin J40
Old 03-21-2019, 02:24 AM

Thanks everyone for all the info of your experiences with the Compact 60.

Maybe I will do a little more research or head down to the music shop at the weekend and try it out. Plus try some others maybe...

There are some good points mentioned throughout this thread. I'm mainly playing for fun in my room, practising for open mic and playing at occasional parties etc. So not gigging yet but I do have a good ear and want a better sound than the one I've currently got. The way I see it the better the sound, the more inclined I will be want to practice and play, plus I want my mate to be happy at his wedding.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
still not a great vocal amp
Completely disagree. The vocals sound great through the 60/4. You just have to decide if you want to pay a premium price for a premium product or if you are better off spending the money on a PA system. Personally I’d have the AER as the amp AND a K8.2 as the PA and have the best of both.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plugg View Post
Thanks everyone for all the info of your experiences with the Compact 60.

Maybe I will do a little more research or head down to the music shop at the weekend and try it out. Plus try some others maybe...

There are some good points mentioned throughout this thread. I'm mainly playing for fun in my room, practising for open mic and playing at occasional parties etc. So not gigging yet but I do have a good ear and want a better sound than the one I've currently got. The way I see it the better the sound, the more inclined I will be want to practice and play, plus I want my mate to be happy at his wedding.
Go by guitar center and try out the s1 pro if you can. I use a sennheiser e935 with the tone match off and it sounds perfect for vocals. I run my j45/baggs m80 through a baggs align eq with the tonematch set to microphone and it sounds so full and wonderful. I mainly use it for practicing for open mics as well, but you could use it for smaller gigs with no issue. I have two s1 pros and use the stereo bluetooth all the time for playing music.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Completely disagree. The vocals sound great through the 60/4. You just have to decide if you want to pay a premium price for a premium product or if you are better off spending the money on a PA system. Personally I’d have the AER as the amp AND a K8.2 as the PA and have the best of both.

When you listen to the “room mics only” section of your own demo, can you hear the consonants clearly? I sure can’t.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
We will have to disagree on what a good vocal sound is. That's why we have a forum, so people can get variety of opinions, and mine I stand by, as you probably do yours! And like you, I like slaving these amps into powered PA cabs I do it will my Schertlers all the time. I also slave my Schertlers into powered Schertler cabinets both full range and subs made for just that.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
We will have to disagree on what a good vocal sound is. That's why we have a forum, so people can get variety of opinions, and mine I stand by, as you probably do yours! And like you, I like slaving these amps into powered PA cabs I do it will my Schertlers all the time. I also slave my Schertlers into powered Schertler cabinets both full range and subs made for just that.
Like I said in my video the C60 is not a PA speaker, it’s a guitar amp and the vocals sound much better than the version 3 but I would always slave it into a regular PA system as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification