The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-22-2014, 09:56 PM

Big time congrats! Now that is how we all should celebrate the holiday season!

I've never had a chance to play an Olson firsthand, but every sound clip I've heard is incredible. They're definitely on my shortlist of guitars that I covet.

Thanks again for sharing!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Hi Tonewoods…

First of all, Hello and Welcome to the Forum!! Pretty great first post…

Thanks for the pics and the post. Jim is a wonderful man, and amazing builder of guitars.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-23-2014, 07:58 AM

Default Beautiful Guitar!

Hi and welcome to the forum! You and I have a lot in common...here's my latest that Jim built for me (#1483)...guess we were in the same build group.

I will echo what everyone said about Jim. He is the kindest and most humble guy I've ever been blessed to know. BTW, I almost went with a redwood top just like yours but in the end decided on cedar. Enjoy every minute of playing that masterpiece!

Vic

Here's mine...

Old 12-23-2014, 10:18 AM

Default Envy

OK, I'll admit to be envious of you Olson owners. Wish the planets and my financial priorities would align in a way to be able to justify one, but not so far. I'll have to settle for guitar envy for now and maybe forever. Or cull the electric and acoustic herd drastically and maybe have the cash.

Congratulations !

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 12-23-2014, 10:43 AM

Welcome to the Olson Club...beautiful guitar...
Old 12-23-2014, 10:55 AM

Gents, congrats on your new 2014 Olson SJ -- very envious!

Jim builds guitars that look and sound beautiful -- and they play perfectly.

Here's my 2012 SJ:

And here's last year's build -- the guitar that I reach out to most often:

Old 12-29-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnwire View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum! You and I have a lot in common...here's my latest that Jim built for me (#1483)...guess we were in the same build group.

I will echo what everyone said about Jim. He is the kindest and most humble guy I've ever been blessed to know. BTW, I almost went with a redwood top just like yours but in the end decided on cedar. Enjoy every minute of playing that masterpiece!

Vic
Very nice Vic. Your Olson is almost appointed just like mine. The partial vine inlay pattern was originally designed by me and I had the first ones built with that design. I don't actually own the very first one... a collector had to have it and so I sold it and ordered a new one. That one was actually #1301.

My Olson #1355 Tiger Myrtle dread

My Olson #1325 BRW dread

Interestingly enough...#1325 and #1350 have adjacent sets of Brazilian....

This is my Olson SJ #1350

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 12-29-2014, 03:00 PM

Beautiful guitar. His work is the best I have ever seen and they play like electric guitars but are acoustics. Almost impossible to understand but with Jim possible. Enjoy and Happy New Year.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:57 AM

Hi Keith, thanks for working with Jim to come up with that inlay design for the fretboard...in fact, your guitar #1350 was my inspiration for my latest build. You have an outstanding collection of Olsons! They are beautiful and tastfully done. Jim is an outstanding builder (as I'm sure you know). Enjoy...and btw, great new music video you have posted.

Vic
Old 12-30-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnwire View Post
Hi Keith, thanks for working with Jim to come up with that inlay design for the fretboard...in fact, your guitar #1350 was my inspiration for my latest build. You have an outstanding collection of Olsons! They are beautiful and tastfully done. Jim is an outstanding builder (as I'm sure you know). Enjoy...and btw, great new music video you have posted.

Vic
Thanks Vic. Yes, he was a pleasure to work with and is outstanding to say the least. I meant to point out on my two Brazilian Olsons 1350 and 1355, they both have Brazilian rosewood necks. There have only been a few to my understanding made with Brazilian rosewood necks.... 1301, 1325, 1350, and maybe 5-10 very limited edition ones he did. I am down to 6 Olsons.... two older SJ's including this one

And a rare and elusive 12 string

Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
And a few others

-----------------

Last edited by cpabolting; 12-30-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

I've seen a couple of guitars on the Olson website that were built with Pernambuco back and sides. Any of you folks seen/heard/played those?

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 12-30-2014, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I've seen a couple of guitars on the Olson website that were built with Pernambuco back and sides. Any of you folks seen/heard/played those?
I have a friend that has a Pernambuco Olson (with a German top & bracing), and IMO it is the most impressive Olson I have ever played. He has quite a few other Olsons (5 I believe), as well as other guitars from builders like Kim Walker and Jeff Traugott, and IMO it is clearly a better sounding guitar in comparison to his other Olsons... and I would say it's probably the 3rd or 4th best guitar he owns out of the 15 or so in his collection I was able to play on my last visit to his house. It takes a lot for a guitar to impress me, especially a new guitar, but this pernambuco Olson simply captivated me like no other creation of Jim's had been able to do up until that point. He loaned it to me to play in my hotel room for 2 days while I was there so I was able to spend some quality time with it, rather than merely a few minutes at his home, which gave me some time to really get to know and enjoy the instrument.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 12-31-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I have a friend that has a Pernambuco Olson (with a German top & bracing), and IMO it is the most impressive Olson I have ever played. He has quite a few other Olsons (5 I believe), as well as other guitars from builders like Kim Walker and Jeff Traugott, and IMO it is clearly a better sounding guitar in comparison to his other Olsons... and I would say it's probably the 3rd or 4th best guitar he owns out of the 15 or so in his collection I was able to play on my last visit to his house. It takes a lot for a guitar to impress me, especially a new guitar, but this pernambuco Olson simply captivated me like no other creation of Jim's had been able to do up until that point. He loaned it to me to play in my hotel room for 2 days while I was there so I was able to spend some quality time with it, rather than merely a few minutes at his home, which gave me some time to really get to know and enjoy the instrument.
I would imagine a pernambuco Olson would be great! I love my Olsons for sure!

Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
And a few others

-----------------

Old 12-31-2014, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
This doesn't surprise me in the least....

Pernambuco is an amazing tonewood and in Jim's hands was likely built to its potential. I find Pernambuco to be quite different than BRW. For example, both woods can be built to be balanced and responsive guitars; but Pernambuco in my experience (mine is a Sexauer) does not impart the signature euphonic low-end rumble, harmonics, high frequency ringing overtones and sustain but in contrast a balanced fundamental tonic clarity infused with sustaining, choir-like harmonizing overtones.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
This doesn't surprise me in the least....

Pernambuco in my experience (mine is a Sexauer) does not impart the signature euphonic low-end rumble, harmonics, high frequency ringing overtones and sustain but in contrast a balanced fundamental tonic clarity infused with sustaining, choir-like harmonizing overtones.

Man, I wish I could write like that....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop