The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-15-2012, 09:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post
...a maple limb or a palm limb ?

Let him go out on the maple limb. The palm will give him to many splinters.

Riorider, remind me in June to show the group the piece of black palm I have. I'll have band aides on hand! Harv, you did a marvelous job combining these woods. I might get brave and explore a little ... later.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Jay,

You and VT Strummer can probably solve the mystery by sharing notes since I got this set from you... That color match thing also comes in handy in the "unlikely" event you break a side bending it
I've gotten a request to describe the history of the wood from The Tree I acquired.

Briefly, The Tree was discovered in 1965 and felled, but landed irretrievably in a deep ravine, "rescued" in 1983 by Robert Novak, cut in to quarters on site, dragged 100 miles thru the jungle to a river, floated 70 miles downstream to an old colonial era steam powered saw mill, quarter sawn over two weeks under his supervision, shipped via ocean to Miami, some being sold directly from Mr. Novak to London Joiners in NY, stored until 2010 when acquired by me (three small pieces) via purchase/barter from that owner for some old (1960's) dense straight-grained mahogany and old-growth swamp cypress I picked up from an old retired boat builder/cabinet maker in Maine in 1997 who's home I bought and which was lugged along with several pickup loads of other wood from him by me to VT when we moved (to everybody's curiosity except mine), then shipped in early 2011 for re-sawing in California by David Borson, shipped to Jay Howlett who was graciously willing and able to match with sides from his last stashes of wood from The Tree (as I had more backs then sides - still have two sets left actually), some nice quilted sets going to him, two quilted sets and some premium tortoise shell pieces going to Jayson Bowerman who used one set to make me the beautiful guitar sitting in the closet next to me. A small amount (including some of the best tortoise shell wood from The Tree) is in the hands of Kepasa Ukulele's right now also. Whew....

Yup, I think that's it. Back to your regularly scheduled programming. Mr. Leach Sir, my apologies for placing the tangent in your post, your work is much more interesting than me blabbing away.

Maybe we can get Jay to write a song called the Provenance Waltz to describe it more artistically ("Would I ever get that wood, for which I've been pining away...."). It appears the back set you are using for your 40th Anniversary instrument (which looks wonderful) must have come from Jay, who got it from me via Mr. Borson, and so on....
Old 03-15-2012, 12:54 PM

It is a small world indeed... the fist time I saw the Tree was in Dave's shop many years ago when Lance McCollum and I stopped in. I remember thinking it was ridiculously expensive at the time so I didn’t buy the slab he had there for $1000.00... probably had a dozen sets it it ... The first sets I got came from a coffee table in trade for a guitar (I also got a bandsaw, planer and drum sander in the deal!) The guy was one of the carpenters at Skywalker ranch.
So where in VT are you? (I grew up in Lyndonville)
Old 03-15-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
It is a small world indeed...
So where in VT are you? (I grew up in Lyndonville)
Ummm, yup it's a pretty small world after all. I live just outside Lyndonville in Kirby. A couple years ago I met a gentlemen with a Voyage Air or Harvey Leach baseball cap (can't remember which) who said he was your brother-in-law or something. I got my VAOM-04 a few months back and love it, and have had quite a few players quite amazed by it, most unaware they even existed up hear in the sticks (no dealers for them at all in VT or NH yet).

It's interesting how the wood from The Tree affects people (due some to it's beauty and some to the story behind it). Each party involved at all in it's journey thru me has asked to see what it ends up becoming including Willy at London Joiners, Mr. Borson, Jay Howlett, Jayson Bowerman, Kevin Crossett (Kepasa Ukulele's), myself.... I can't help but feel a little third-cousin-twice-removed type vicarious attachment to the other instruments being made with the pieces that once were "mine"albeit briefly.

It's a privilege to talk with you. I very much admire your work and accomplishments.

Jay
Old 03-15-2012, 03:53 PM

Harv,

Somebody had sides...somebody had backs...they got together...sent stuff to David Borson and split things up. My buddy Jayson Bowerman got some top and back sets to build two all "The Tree" Wiessenborns from me, Jay (Vermont) ended up with a guitar (don't know all the details), the other Jay (Me) got some backs and a future build from Jayson. Jay (Vermont) got the boards from a place that I am bound to him not to disclose...they have no more for sale and don't want to be bothered by us calling them to ask.

But really all that happened was Jay and Jay traded sides for backs. I had the material to still make extra side sets, I don't know any one else who does. I know of one remaining board in the wild for sale...and it's too rich for my blood at $1300 or so a board foot. It has a similar rolling sausage quilt pattern to my big board. 41.875” x 24” x a taper 0.875 to 1.125”.

He offered me a deal at $7500, having gone up from about $5500 a year earlier. I was considering it for side material at the first price. The taper worried me a tad and you don't know what you have until you open it up. I lost two billets of backs on my last board from a beetle or some other borer.

Now show us more pictures!!!

Last edited by BBWW; 03-15-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:14 PM
*mahoganut*

Default teeny tinesy world....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT_strummer View Post
Ummm, yup it's a pretty small world after all. I live just outside Lyndonville in Kirby.
It's interesting how the wood from The Tree affects people (due some to it's beauty and some to the story behind it). Each party involved at all in it's journey thru me has asked to see what it ends up becoming including Willy at London Joiners, Mr. Borson, Jay Howlett, Jayson Bowerman, Kevin Crossett (Kepasa Ukulele's), myself.... I can't help but feel a little third-cousin-twice-removed type vicarious attachment to the other instruments being made with the pieces that once were "mine"albeit briefly.
I spent 18 months in Lyndonville Nov '79 - June '81, operating the Caledonia County Airport. Still have close friends in St. J.

Amazingly small world that brings fellow 'tree' lovers together on a guitar forum with Lyndonville in common...

Cheers,

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 03-15-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post

Now show us more pictures!!!
I second that.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Ummm, yup it's a pretty small world after all. I live just outside Lyndonville in Kirby. A couple years ago I met a gentlemen with a Voyage Air or Harvey Leach baseball cap (can't remember which) who said he was your brother-in-law or something. I got my VAOM-04 a few months back and love it, and have had quite a few players quite amazed by it, most unaware they even existed up hear in the sticks (no dealers for them at all in VT or NH yet).

It's a privilege to talk with you. I very much admire your work and accomplishments.

Jay
In Kirby there is a small brick house, it’s the oldest house in town and was built by the town’s first settler... My great, great, great (give or take a “great”) grandfather, Jonathan Leach (I think about 1800) ...also, my mom was born and raised on the Butternut Farm. There is an old cemetery there that has most of my ancestor’s gravestones. My 00 size guitars is called “Kirby” ... outside of that... I’ve never heard of the place . My Ex-Bro-inlaw would have to be Leigh Griffith?
Old 03-16-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
I spent 18 months in Lyndonville Nov '79 - June '81, operating the Caledonia County Airport. Still have close friends in St. J.

Amazingly small world that brings fellow 'tree' lovers together on a guitar forum with Lyndonville in common...

Cheers,

Phil
Hey you guys are making me homesick!!! Man you must have been really stressed out dealing with all the air traffic up on Pudding Hill!!! We might have crossed paths but I was in Berlin Germany from May ‘78 - Nov ‘81 It’s good you guys were/are there filling in for me... I’m pretty sure chaos ensues if the population drops below 3500.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:43 AM

Quote:
I second that.
in the words of Albert... I am not a machine....
Old 03-16-2012, 03:22 AM

Quote:
in the words of Albert... I am not a machine....
indeed no. the artistry is clear! i'm really intrigued by the black palm. i think i need to search the forum images for more examples.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
In Kirby there is a small brick house, it’s the oldest house in town and was built by the town’s first settler... My great, great, great (give or take a “great”) grandfather, Jonathan Leach (I think about 1800) ...also, my mom was born and raised on the Butternut Farm. There is an old cemetery there that has most of my ancestor’s gravestones. My 00 size guitars is called “Kirby” ... outside of that... I’ve never heard of the place . My Ex-Bro-inlaw would have to be Leigh Griffith?
Now you're just freaking me out. I assume you are referring to the old brick house on Ridge Rd which at one point was some kind of tavern? I've been in it a few times. We almost bought the old Butternut Farm (also called Jones Farm) with it's 150 acres when we moved here 10 years ago or so, but decided it needed a bit too much work for what we could handle at the time. I sometimes still kick myself a bit for not going for it. The house has been completely redone to the point where it doesn't resemble the original anymore, but man what a nice spot and view of The Gap!!

I don't remember the name of the gentleman with the Voyage Air cap, but remember he was about 6' tall and rather thin. I vaguely recognized the name on the cap and he saw me looking at it and reminded me about the guitars which were fairly new at the time. He didn't mention you were from here, but did talk you up quite nicely if I remember.

So were you a Viking or a Hilltopper?
Old 03-17-2012, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Now you're just freaking me out. I assume you are referring to the old brick house on Ridge Rd which at one point was some kind of tavern? I've been in it a few times. We almost bought the old Butternut Farm (also called Jones Farm) with it's 150 acres when we moved here 10 years ago or so, but decided it needed a bit too much work for what we could handle at the time. I sometimes still kick myself a bit for not going for it. The house has been completely redone to the point where it doesn't resemble the original anymore, but man what a nice spot and view of The Gap!!

I don't remember the name of the gentleman with the Voyage Air cap, but remember he was about 6' tall and rather thin. I vaguely recognized the name on the cap and he saw me looking at it and reminded me about the guitars which were fairly new at the time. He didn't mention you were from here, but did talk you up quite nicely if I remember.

So were you a Viking or a Hilltopper?
For fun here is the Butternut farm when it was still a farm.

That wouldn't be Leigh... he's neither tall or slim I think it was probably Mickey who actually lives in Tenn.

VIKINGS RULE!!!

Harv
Old 03-17-2012, 03:44 AM

OK, OK.... enough nostalgia... back to building.

This jig will drill two 1/4” holes, one will be the center of the rosette and the other will be to locate the routing template.

The Winewood with holes drilled.

The 2 holes will align with these 2 pegs. Notice the routed circle and square??? this was my test piece for the 1,500,000th Martin “Vitruvian Man”!!! can’t be wasting resources... besides it's cool to have a little da Vinci in my shop.

Template #1 is aligned over the pins and screwed in place

The same router with bushing is used to rout the cavity for the rosette. Notice that this time there is a brass ring on the bushing, this moves the cut away from the template the diameter of the cutter (1/8”) meaning that the hole and the rosette are now the exact same size...

this brass ring will be an important factor a bit later...
Old 03-21-2012, 12:31 PM

In the previous post I made reference to the brass ring that is used to make the cavity exactly the same size as the inlay... in this case the rosette... after cutting out the rosette I decided that the cavity wasn’t deep enough so I went back and recut the cavity the same depth as the rosette... but in a moment of sever brain-crampage I forgot that the brass ring wasn’t on the router anymore... soooooo..... now I have a cavity that is 1/4” bigger than the rosette.... CRAP!!!! Fortunately I have more Winewood... then the little bird in my head says to me...”But you really wanted to use that Millennium Redwood top anyway!” The more I thought about it the more I agreed with the little bird so I will be forging ahead with a Millennium top which I’m pretty excited about to be honest, the two woods go together perfectly and a few people have asked me what I thought the Tree and the Millennium would sound like together so I can't think of a better way to find out. Hey sometimes the worst mistakes can turn out pretty good.

Here is the new top choice

Cavity routed to the CORRECT size and depth...

Rosette is glued in place and sanded flush

Template #2 is slightly bigger and the 1/8" bit is replaced with a 1/16" one. This allows me to create two 1/6" channels around the rosette.

Black/red/black purfling is glued in the channels

Final rosette sanded and sealed. I like it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop