The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-16-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkenweg42 View Post
No use getting upset about this, Bob. Most of these critics leaving nasty comments on Youtube have nothing to offer. Click on their channel links and you either see that they have no downloads or that their account was canceled.
I learnt a couple of fingerstyle pieces by watching Youtube amateur clips and have posted a couple of originals and covers. It's all done for fun; I am not sure why I would be embarrassed about it.
I'm not upset about the critics leaving comments on YouTube. It's the critics here on this forum and other forums that upsets me. Read through this thread. It's not long. What upsets me even more is that I was just complimenting this section of the forum, the other day, in how everyone here is encouraging of each other and then someone rags on people who aren't "true artists" because they choose to play covers or just don't have the creativity to write their own material.It just a snobish putdown that I'm just tired of seeing.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
I'm not upset about the critics leaving comments on YouTube. It's the critics here on this forum and other forums that upsets me. Read through this thread. It's not long. What upsets me even more is that I was just complimenting this section of the forum, the other day, in how everyone here is encouraging of each other and then someone rags on people who aren't "true artists" because they choose to play covers or just don't have the creativity to write their own material.It just a snobish putdown that I'm just tired of seeing.
Hi Bob,

There have been many very good posts on this thread. For example, I never gave any thought to the fact that YouTube is a way for a family member (not living close by) to see another family member play etc.. That was a great response. Every forum topic has the potential to be controversial and every forum member should feel free to give their views. Someone may not like a given post, but that is part of the social aspect of a forum IMO.

I have lurked around several forums and have found AGF to be superior. I enjoy hearing opinions and I personally like it when there are contrasting opinions. The reason I like to hear contrasting opinions is that it presents a possibility to learn something I didn't know before. The last thing I would be interested in is seeing 20 or 30 posts that say "I agree".

I hope you have a good day, and I look forward to hearing your opinions in the future.

Best Regards, Christian
Old 12-18-2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Reno View Post
Hi Bob,

There have been many very good posts on this thread. For example, I never gave any thought to the fact that YouTube is a way for a family member (not living close by) to see another family member play etc.. That was a great response. Every forum topic has the potential to be controversial and every forum member should feel free to give their views. Someone may not like a given post, but that is part of the social aspect of a forum IMO.

I have lurked around several forums and have found AGF to be superior. I enjoy hearing opinions and I personally like it when there are contrasting opinions. The reason I like to hear contrasting opinions is that it presents a possibility to learn something I didn't know before. The last thing I would be interested in is seeing 20 or 30 posts that say "I agree".

I hope you have a good day, and I look forward to hearing your opinions in the future.

Best Regards, Christian
I wholeheartedly agree. I have NO problem with people disagreeing with my opinion or anyone elses opinions either. I learn a ton from people with differing views. I'm guessing that some people just don't understand what I am saying in this thread.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
I know many of you post videos on YouTube and I enjoy seeing them, but at the risk of being flogged by this forum, I have to ask - What makes you want to post videos of yourself playing non-original material?

I can understand wanting to get original material out to be seen on the internet, but covers?

I hope no one takes this question personally, because it is not meant that way. I sincerely want to understand what prompts you to put covers on YouTube.

Best Regards - Christian
Feedback! I don't do it because I suck, but I would imagine feedback is valuable.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:14 AM

Just thought I'd throw this in the conversation here.

Here is a guy who has NO IDEA that "true art" dwells in the creation of original material, original songs. He should probably either give it up or at least stop posting on YouTube, don't you think. (Be sure to watch it all the way through)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJA6rLHeChU
Old 12-20-2009, 12:18 AM

Of course my last post was to show how ridiculous "I think" that philosophy is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just saying.

Again, I am fairly new to YouTube and I LOVE IT! No matter what is posted I am constantly in awe and constantly learning.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
I know many of you post videos on YouTube and I enjoy seeing them, but at the risk of being flogged by this forum, I have to ask - What makes you want to post videos of yourself playing non-original material?
Best Regards - Christian
Could it be...fun
Old 12-20-2009, 09:07 AM

A lot of folks are upset with the "cover" aspect of things. As I said in a previous post, no better words than "hey, that was real good" to an amateur musician.

I'd like to expand on that to add that there is one of my tunes on youtube that has been covered by a few folks there, and one I discovered by accident that someone posted of themselves playing.

So to modify, there's no greater compliment than that. As an amateur, I'm grateful and pretty pumped that someone would cover one of mine. I can't imagine I'd feel any different as a professional.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

I can understand wanting to get original material out to be seen on the internet, but covers?

I hope no one takes this question personally, because it is not meant that way. I sincerely want to understand what prompts you to put covers on YouTube.

Best Regards - Christian
Christian,
I compose the majority of my material, and the bulk of it is pretty unique on several levels.

There are times, however, when an old song visits me, goes through my blender and comes out almost as unique as my originals.

I've always believed that if you have nothing new to say that it's best to be quiet, although there will always be a market for people who are living, breathing Juke-Boxes.

I don't sing well enough to be one of them, so I'm lucky that way!

Here's my 'Mystery Train' that is nothing like Elvis', which is a cover of Jr.Parker's original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec-Ix5lwVyM

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 12-20-2009, 11:27 AM

Great pickin' Howard!
Old 12-20-2009, 02:50 PM

I confess that I'm guilty of not reading the whole thread. But I wondered if anyone mentioned classical music performances? A lot of times the interpretration of a piece does not involve changing the notes.

As a performer of pop or rock covers, I do some songs sort of note for note the way the original went ... and others I change up a bit. I don't feel more or less "artistic" doing it either way. I just play it the way I feel like playing it. Or the way I can best pull off the song, I guess!
Old 12-20-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelsgirl View Post
I confess that I'm guilty of not reading the whole thread. But I wondered if anyone mentioned classical music performances? A lot of times the interpretration of a piece does not involve changing the notes.

As a performer of pop or rock covers, I do some songs sort of note for note the way the original went ... and others I change up a bit. I don't feel more or less "artistic" doing it either way. I just play it the way I feel like playing it. Or the way I can best pull off the song, I guess!
It's only 6 pages. lol
Actually I mention Bach, Beethoven and the rest of the boyz and I agree.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Best Regards - Christian
I figure people do it for all kinds of reasons--if I'm reading your responses correctly, some you find "good" and some you find less so. I wonder why it matters why people do covers...

I know you're trying and you're being very polite about it, but I think it's pretty hard to ask this question without making people wonder if you're being at least a little judgmental or condescending.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgadi View Post
I know you're trying and you're being very polite about it, but I think it's pretty hard to ask this question without making people wonder if you're being at least a little judgmental or condescending.
The intent was clarified a few posts into the thread. I see so many basic standard pieces played identically by many people on youtube. I really don't care if someone does it. I was just curious as to why. Many replied with a lot of good reasons that I had not thought of. Some got torked off and thought it was a veiled criticism.

I am not sure anyone can ask a question here without someone thinking it is condescending.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:15 PM

Well, your question implies that there is something wrong with doing covers, and only original material should be posted. That takes away the fun of playing music for your own enjoyment. People like hearing songs that they are familiar with.

I'm having fun posting and watching covers, don't spoil the party.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD