The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-11-2019, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Questions for Soundcraft EFX Owners

I have an EFX-8 and a Bose S1 Pro, and a QSC K10.2. I'm impressed with all of it!
I'd love to hear folks favorite EFX settings for vocals and instruments. I need kind of a "mixing for dummies" course. I've started with everything flat and just do the eq reduction in areas by ear--but I'm not sure that is the best approach, and not totally sure I trust my ears. I know the individual voice, mics, speakers, etc make a difference, but what are some suggestions for a starting/ending point? I use both dynamic and condenser mics.

Also, what effect settings are your favorite for vocals, for smaller venues. I've found that "less is more" when it comes to reverb and delay, and that for my guitar a little more is ok. I can't say I've settled on a particular setting on my board--one day I like one preset, and a different one on another day.

Thanks for any guidance!
Old 02-11-2019, 07:14 PM

It's hard to make recommendations about EQ without hearing the sources and hearing them in context. The main thing is to be patient with yourself as you turn the knobs and listen until you start to get a sense of what the controls do to the sound and what sounds best to you. One thing that's a good thing to try and do is to think about what frequency ranges that each signal occupies, and then use the controls to crave out ranges for each in complementary ways. In other words, you can reduce one range of frequencies a little in the guitar signal and boost that same range a little in the vocals, and that will help each to sound distinct in the mix.

FWIW, I use an MFXi12, which has, I believe, the same effects engine as your EFX8, and I like the "V. Hall" setting. I just set it to the preset parameters and mix in as much as I need for each channel and for the room. It's a very nice reverb for vocals.

Louis
Old 02-11-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
It's hard to make recommendations about EQ without hearing the sources and hearing them in context. The main thing is to be patient with yourself as you turn the knobs and listen until you start to get a sense of what the controls do to the sound and what sounds best to you. One thing that's a good thing to try and do is to think about what frequency ranges that each signal occupies, and then use the controls to crave out ranges for each in complementary ways. In other words, you can reduce one range of frequencies a little in the guitar signal and boost that same range a little in the vocals, and that will help each to sound distinct in the mix.

FWIW, I use an MFXi12, which has, I believe, the same effects engine as your EFX8, and I like the "V. Hall" setting. I just set it to the preset parameters and mix in as much as I need for each channel and for the room. It's a very nice reverb for vocals.

Louis
Thanks for your input!!
Old 03-02-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Any other input? Favorite effects settings on the mixer for vocals? Thanks
Old 03-02-2019, 04:47 PM

I have an MFXi8 and run K10's or 8's depending. Lovely set up for small to mid sized venues in or out doors.

It's tricky suggesting actual settings because it always varies depending on the room and the voice/instrument. But.. I only use reverb on the vocal and just enough to get a taste of fullness without obvious boing or echo. Guitar is left to pedals.

Guitar flat with a slight pull on the mids and maybe the highs as well depending.

Vocals will be pretty flat with small tweaks so a female vocal pull a pinch off the highs and a very slight push in the upper mids. Male a slight push perhaps on the highs and a pull on the lows and mids. Seldom large at all and only to get clean separation and have the individual sounds more distinct in the mix.

Look at a few 'cheat sheets' they're all over the net and get the rough freq ranges and play and listen from there. Won't take long to get the ballpark and minor tweaks from there will follow. Your ears are the guide, not some figure or net advice. Just listen and 'feel' what each small twist does. You'll get there.

Kris
Old 03-02-2019, 05:21 PM

Ill just chime in a bit and say it really depends.
on your pickup and your mic. Generally for me
it comes down to a mid scoop usually around
700 give or take and bass and treble boosts
or hi low cuts. Bass usually in the 180 range
and treble in the 5k range. of course ymmv.
If i was at your gig i could dial it in for you
but alas im not. Best advise is use your ears.
If you cant trust your ears then find somebody
to help that you trust to be knowledgeable.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
I have an EFX-8 and a Bose S1 Pro, and a QSC K10.2. I'm impressed with all of it!
I'd love to hear folks favorite EFX settings for vocals and instruments. I need kind of a "mixing for dummies" course. I've started with everything flat and just do the eq reduction in areas by ear--but I'm not sure that is the best approach, and not totally sure I trust my ears. I know the individual voice, mics, speakers, etc make a difference, but what are some suggestions for a starting/ending point? I use both dynamic and condenser mics.

Also, what effect settings are your favorite for vocals, for smaller venues. I've found that "less is more" when it comes to reverb and delay, and that for my guitar a little more is ok. I can't say I've settled on a particular setting on my board--one day I like one preset, and a different one on another day.

Thanks for any guidance!
Is your Bose used together with your QSC or is your Bose used as the monitor only? Just curious because they sound a little different and might need different eq - if they are both used as speakers out front. This might throw you off a bit when trying to adjust the EQ.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Is your Bose used together with your QSC or is your Bose used as the monitor only? Just curious because they sound a little different and might need different eq - if they are both used as speakers out front. This might throw you off a bit when trying to adjust the EQ.
Not using them as a pair for mains. I could use one or the other as main speaker depending on the venue, and use the Bose as a monitor if needed. Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification