Old 02-10-2019, 09:18 PM

Default Encouraged by the Grammys

Seeing more guitars. And more instruments in general. Good sign I hope
Old 02-10-2019, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBD View Post
Seeing more guitars. And more instruments in general. Good sign I hope
First, thanks to your post, I saw the last 1/3, I didn't even know it was on! Even in that third, there were several guitars in prominent roles!

When Kacey Musgraves won Album of the Year, there was a dude on stage wearing football pads, lol. Wonder who that dude was.

Tell ya what, I will be buying Brandi Carlile's record, what a song, what a voice.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

I thought maybe you were encouraged at seeing the incredibly low level of talent it takes to be nominated and even win in most of the televised categories.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
I thought maybe you were encouraged at seeing the incredibly low level of talent it takes to be nominated and even win in most of the televised categories.

Good grief man. Let the thread breath. Party pooper.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Troll much?

Of course if you have a Grammy I’d retract my question...
Old 02-11-2019, 12:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

I'm a huge Kacey fan and the new album is wonderful. Sorry to see Prine come away empty-handed, but in a long career I'm sure he just takes it in stride.

sm

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 02-11-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:02 AM

Yea, it was nice to see some guitars around. I wish Greta Van Fleet had won Record of the Year, that would have been nice.

One dislike is that performers often have to shorten or spice up their song in some way to try and appeal to a wider audience, which stupifys me considering they wouldn't BE ON THE GRAMMYS if no one liked their music lmao.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
First, thanks to your post, I saw the last 1/3, I didn't even know it was on! Even in that third, there were several guitars in prominent roles!

When Kacey Musgraves won Album of the Year, there was a dude on stage wearing football pads, lol. Wonder who that dude was.

Tell ya what, I will be buying Brandi Carlile's record, what a song, what a voice.
That performance was shockingly good!
Old 02-11-2019, 08:25 AM

I thought this was a more entertaining effort than many....

We’ve been following Brandi Carlile since I first heard her do “The Story” on one of those NPR shows.
I was not familiar with many of these artists as I just don’t listen to pop music, but my wife and I were impressed with “Her”. (Why the names.....) Straightforward singing instead of all the usual vocal gymnastics..

The opening production number was pretty spectacular, as was the tribute to Dolly... Loved the rendition of Neil Young’s old tune.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:06 PM

I don't know that I saw more guitars than usual but I enjoyed the show, especially Alisha Keys on the piano.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

I lost interest in watching the Grammys (or any music award show, really) in 1989 after the Jethro Tull debacle. But the St. Vincent and Dua Lipa collaboration was great.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
the incredibly low level of talent it takes to be nominated ..
On this forum, we're all, generally speaking, guitar players. In today's popular music, I do not think we get to see the talent these performers have. We are more critical of what we do see, because we play.

I have been fortunate to witness the amazing talents some "3 chord winners" actually have over the years. It seems to me anything more complicated is well within their capabilities, but also well beyond the level of the general public to appreciate.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
On this forum, we're all, generally speaking, guitar players. In today's popular music, I do not think we get to see the talent these performers have. We are more critical of what we do see, because we play.

I have been fortunate to witness the amazing talents some "3 chord winners" actually have over the years. It seems to me anything more complicated is well within their capabilities, but also well beyond the level of the general public to appreciate.
Actually, I did not watch the show. Besides having other commitments, we cut the chord a couple years ago and haven't looked back.

But I'm sure by now most of the performances are up on YT, which is where we go these days.

sm
Old 02-11-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Actually, I did not watch the show. Besides having other commitments, we cut the chord a couple years ago and haven't looked back.

But I'm sure by now most of the performances are up on YT, which is where we go these days.

sm
Only on a guitar forum would someone say, "cut the chord."
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 02-11-2019, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post

this was more a jab at the laptop-as-an-instrument music that dominates the zeitgeist and gets a lot of the televised portion of the show.

The categories that are mostly filled with musicians and songwriters are in the untelevised portion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic