The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-09-2019, 01:10 AM
Charter Member

Default Recommendations for a compact active stage monitor

Most of the time I’m playing with other people (who have really nice sound systems and monitors so I’m not looking to get my own), but I’ve also playing in situations where there is not a house sound system and am thinking about adding a compact active stage monitor (using the line out of my LR Baggs Acoustic Reference amp). Since I’ve never gone this route I’d appreciate recommendations on a compact active stage monitor. I realize I could spend way more than what I paid for my amp so would prefer to keep the cost modest. My setup is simple; I play into a Grace Design Felix and then into the Baggs amp on one channel and the second channel on the Baggs has a mic going into it.
The reason for the stage monitor is that the amp is generally in front of me (in these situations, it’s not feasible for the amp to be next to me or behind me).TIA
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 02-09-2019, 03:59 AM

The Yamaha DBR10 are perfect for what you need. Small, very light, good sounding and you can get them cheap.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:56 AM

I had a Mackie SRM150 that worked well when I used a monitor. I think the Yamaha may be a better option simply for the price.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:39 AM

Yorkville nx10c
http://yorkville.com/loudspeakers/nx/product/nx10c/
Old 02-09-2019, 08:47 AM

I use my Fishman Loudbox Mini 60-Watt 1x6.5 Acoustic Combo Amp when I need a wired monitor. It also doubles as a great small amp.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:57 AM

Maybe this.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgJ5N_D_BwE
Old 02-09-2019, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Check out the DB Technologies FM8 powered monitor. 200 watts, 8 inch coaxial speaker, floor wedge or stand mount, and eq settings to adjust for placement and use. $449 street price. I own one myself and I recommend it.

I also own a TC Helicon FX-150 that someone here recommended. It's underpowered if you're playing beer pubs and bars. Might be adequate in a quiet hall. Also, the controls are a one knob for everything. You have to assign the knob to the parameter you want to adjust be it volume, eq, reverb, etc. Not what I want to be doing between songs. I don't recommend it for professional use.

Last edited by Al Acuff; 02-09-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

QSC K8.2. The best speaker I ever bought. So useful and sounds amazing.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:28 PM

Default IN Ear

Cheap in ear solution -out of the line out from your amp into a M Audio Bass Traveller ( $40 Cdn ) earbud amp and out through a headphone extension cable into a set of Shure SE215 ear buds ( $ 120 Cdn ). All in under $200 Cdn ( and even less US$) You will hear yourself like you're in a studio, no feedback issues, it will all fit in a little zippered vinyl pouch and nothing else to carry, Tons of headroom and with tone and volume control on the ear buds. My acoustic duo uses these in even the noisiest pubs they shine. Better than sliced bread.

My 2 pennies

2015 Larrivee OM40 WL
2015 Seagull Performer Mini Jumbo Q1T
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Yamaha DBR10 powered speakers
Behringer XR12 digital mixer
M Audio Bass Traveller headamps with Shure IEM's
Old 02-09-2019, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Great suggestions from all - I’ll take a look at everything, I’m especially intrigued by Groovekings suggestion, I may have all the pieces to try (and will), the in ear solution as it would be great since it doesn’t involve hauling more gear - thanks!
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 02-10-2019, 09:13 AM

EV ZXa1. Smaller, lighter, and louder than anything else in the same class of powered speaker.

I'm also about to try an inexpensive wired IEM, if it ever comes off backorder, the Behringer P2. That would eliminate the need for a floor monitor altogether. The Bass Traveler unit mentioned above also looks interesting, and offers a rechargeable battery where the Behringer uses a replaceable AAA battery. The M-Audio unit is bigger, though, and does not have a XLR input or belt clip. Somewhat off-topic, I previously tried but ended up returning the passive version of the same unit, the PM1, but found it had insufficient volume when simply connected to one of the aux outputs of my TouchMix-8. It needs an amplified signal.

Last edited by GmanJeff; 02-10-2019 at 11:46 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification