The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-03-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Stand or Table for an amp

I am considering the Boss Acoustic Singer Pro amp... 32 lbs weight. Thinking of using it as a monitor, feeding it into a small PA. I have a Fishman SA220, hope I can line out to it. I'd like to have it sitting such that I can reach the Boss by hand to tweak it. What type of stand or table to put it on, any ideas? Anyone know of anything for this. Fold-down and light weight are a plus, always an issue to load in and out. Wondering what is available for this. Needs to be sturdy. Never have used one, would appreciate some tips or suggestions.

Hmmm... found this using "stand" as the search term, looks interesting...

http://www.ultimatesupport.com/produ...-js-as100.html
Old 02-03-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Then again, if you don't mind its 44 lb weight, you may want to consider purchasing the Bose F1 Model 812 PA Speaker that has just had a price drop to $899. This speaker can be mounted on a speaker pole or placed on a table.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-f1-model-812
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-03-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
I am considering the Boss Acoustic Singer Pro amp... 32 lbs weight. Thinking of using it as a monitor, feeding it into a small PA. I have a Fishman SA220, hope I can line out to it. I'd like to have it sitting such that I can reach the Boss by hand to tweak it. What type of stand or table to put it on, any ideas? Anyone know of anything for this. Fold-down and light weight are a plus, always an issue to load in and out. Wondering what is available for this. Needs to be sturdy. Never have used one, would appreciate some tips or suggestions.

I use one of those for my Acoustic singer live, it's not a perfect fit for it.... the power cable and ga-fc footswitch are on opposite sides and line up perfectly with the arms of the stand, but for $15 on facebook marketplace I figured I could make it work. Yours being the bigger version may not have that issue.
On the line out situation, The Boss has 2 XLR outs on it for the vocal channel and guitar channel.... I absolutely love the vocal channel, but I would suggest going from the Boss to the 2 inputs on the Fishman.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:50 AM

The time honored tradition is to borrow a chair from the venue. If you play seated, the height for monitor purposes should be OK. Play standing? You are still shooting sound below the waist though the controls will be a little more accessible. All of these amps should come with pole mounts. My Schertler does as did the Roland I used before that. And it is a great feature.

I have a K&M amp stand I use for electric guitar amps. Expensive but well built, relatively compact and sturdy. It tilts which helps with monitoring function. However, the amp will still be pretty low which will make adjustments tricky if you play standing.

Once you are talking adding a PA style speaker there are many good options. All of which can mount on a pole or sit on a table.

hunter
Old 02-03-2019, 12:18 PM

IF there is room, I would mount a speaker stand cup in it so you can put it on a pole. That's how the Carvin AG200 and 300 were made, and they weigh up to 35 pounds (AG300). Its oriented so the controls are on the side when its on the pole.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:50 PM

Im great at spending your money.
these are really nice folding stands.
https://atlas-stands.com
Old 02-06-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post

I have one just like that, it's ok but it's kind of clunky.
This one is much nicer.
http://https://www.sweetwater.com/st...ombo-amp-stand

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-06-2019, 08:13 AM

There are a number of decent keyboard stands that would probably work just fine, both X braced or table type. Check out Sweetwater. The stand in your link will work, but you'll have 3 parts to carry when you take it apart. I know this because I have one at home for my guitar amp. I recall seeing a similar stand where the arms are on a hinge and fold which would be better.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I have one just like that, it's ok but it's kind of clunky.
This one is much nicer.
http://https://www.sweetwater.com/st...ombo-amp-stand
Your link didn't work but I was able to make it work. Thanks for the suggestion, looks more better, it folds.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:05 PM

I use an Audio 2000S heavy duty short speaker stand with a K&M 26747 shelf. The legs are orange to keep you from tripping over them. Steel, not aluminum. Very strong, exactly the right size and height for my Roy amp, and easy to break down and transport. It looks like this:
Old 02-06-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I use an Audio 2000S heavy duty short speaker stand with a K&M 26747 shelf. The legs are orange to keep you from tripping over them. Steel, not aluminum. Very strong, exactly the right size and height for my Roy amp, and easy to break down and transport. It looks like this:
Thanks, looks good but it would be about $140 with the K&M tray, so, too much relative to the other one posted above.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
That's really a good setup but that shelf is way expensive!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-12-2019, 04:07 AM

Rokdog, do you know if the Singer live will fit also ? Problem is that the power supply always gets in the way with the tubes in the back :-(
Old 05-12-2019, 06:17 AM

Are you using the amp to fill the room or purely as a monitor in association with a PA? I know you've mentioned as a monitor but checking for clarity.

If this is your only amplification then you're pointing it at the audience and standing in front/side them a table is cool. I use one of these for PA, height adjustable (perfect for cases below), solid and smaller versions are available:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ca...HslkbVcdlRa5rM

If this is your monitor only then consider an amp stand that tips it back so it's pointing at your head. This is important for a couple of reasons. If it's hitting the back of your knees but you can hear enough then you can be pretty sure there's a beam of shrill high frequency going out into the room and ruining someone's night.

If your PA speakers are a couple of feet in front then your amp sound is hitting the audience a couple of m/secs later than the PA. This is a common issue with low frequency comb filtering but at high frequency just mashes up your transients and smears your picking sound all over the place (more at greater distances, of course). Solution? Delay the FOH by 1m/s per foot if you have a digi-mixer, or point the amp back at you.

Last edited by shufflebeat; 05-12-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Can you beat this for $18??? https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...luxe-amp-stand
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:08 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification