The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-29-2019, 09:13 AM

Default Best App for songs

I feel Its about time I got a bit more organised with my tabs and songs, and I should make more use out of my ipad for this.

Searching through the posts it seems that Onsong is highly regarded, however quite a few posts are from a good while ago, is Onsong still one of the best options or are there more recent better alternatives?

many thanks

Jason
Old 01-29-2019, 09:28 AM

I’ve been using SongBook on a Samsung tablet for years. Works for me.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:53 AM

I've used OnSong, but the easiest to me is Ultimate Guitar. Has a good Ipad user interface and can be used online or offline. Lets you transpose and add notes, and you can make "set lists" as needed.
2015 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio
2014 Voyage-Air
2018 Fender Players Series Stratocaster
1981 Fender Statocaster
Old 01-29-2019, 10:02 AM

Still find OnSong to be the most flexible, I play with another acoustic guitarist/vocalist and in a 9 piece R7B/Blues Rock band as well - the ability to move charts, lyric sheets and mp3's around to everyone via Dropbox is invaluable - don't know about other apps, been using OnsSong for well over maybe 7 years now (it's the only app we've used, and it keeps being improved and always worked very well).
Old 01-29-2019, 01:07 PM

Ditto on Onsong, been using it for ages, very dependable, I like it.

There is a bit of a chore getting all the paper tabs into any program, hopefully you have the songs in Word?

Chordpro is the format these apps use to place chords where they can be easily transposed. You can Google it, but essentially the text file has the chord in brackets in the place you want it to display above the sentence. There are programs you can use to move from one format to another, Songpress (free) is my favorite.

Alternatively, Onsong lets you import Ultimate guitar or chordie tabs directly. Then you have to correct for the random chord that is out of place, easy to do in Chorpro format.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:08 AM

I really appreciate the replies, I've now got both Onsong and Ultimate Guitar, had a play around with them last night and I'm blown away with what I can do with both of them, absolutely superb.

I like the Ultimate Guitar for tablature especially being able to play along with them and the backing track option is brilliant, Onsong for me is a great songbook folder, with the ability to change tabs and personalise.

Both are well worth the money.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:33 PM

Still have a premium account for Ultimate Guitar tabs. I notice that when i google search a song, most other sites are stealing or hotlinking to UG.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

I bought a lifetime subscription to Ultimate Guitar when it first came out. I’m not sure that’s an option any longer. UG works well for my uses.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic