The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-25-2019, 12:41 PM

Default Totally stuck...ANY help please..

Hi Guys
This may be slightly embarrassing, I think im stuck on something 'Easy' but just cant figure it out....so frustrated, cant ask my Teacher as he's over sea's on Holiday, because of this I cant move on.
Im studying Carcassi. Im currently on E minor and am totally stuck on the Prelude Opus 59....Its probably something so easy but im stuck.
My problem starts on the 3rd Bar, it goes to the second position, the second group of notes within the bar and im lost???
PLEASE help.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:57 PM

What exactly are you stuck with? Fingering? Rhythm? Something else? Op. 59 is the method, and there are a lot of pieces in there.

Can you be more specific about which piece you're talking about? Is it the part of the method where he goes through the various major and minor keys, with the scale, chords, then a prelude?

In bar 3 of that prelude, you continue with the D7/E from the prior measure for the first half, then the second half is essentially a B7 with the E still in the bass. You finger the f# on the 4th string with the third finger, the a on the third string with the first finger, and the d# on the second string with the fourth finger.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:17 PM

Thank you for the reply, VERY grateful!
Forgive my ignorance, I can read music, 'just', still learning.
I have gone through the scale, chords, scale study, now the prelude. Strange thing is I don't see the D# on that bar??? That's were im confused I suppose. I have the carcassi book in front of me, a print error maybe?? I definitely see no D# in the Bar???
Old 07-25-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorefinger View Post
Thank you for the reply, VERY grateful!
Forgive my ignorance, I can read music, 'just', still learning.
I have gone through the scale, chords, scale study, now the prelude. Strange thing is I don't see the D# on that bar??? That's were im confused I suppose. I have the carcassi book in front of me, a print error maybe?? I definitely see no D# in the Bar???
What edition of the Carcassi book are you using? Is the prelude in 6/8 time? If you look at the scale and chords, there should be a d# in there, and the prelude will be following the same chord progression.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:39 PM

Hi,
the edition just says, CD sheet music, no authors name. Carcassi's Method for Guitar.
I see the D# in the Exersice/scale study but none in the Prelude, checked and checked again???

PS its 6/8 time
Old 07-25-2019, 06:43 PM

Misprint. The CD Sheet Music editions aren't particularly good. You can find better versions in IMSLP, the Rischel collection, or the Boije collection.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:27 PM

Makes perfect sense, misprint.
Thanks so much! Difficult to learn as it is, but a misprint to a relative beginner is lethal!
Thank you again.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:39 AM

Also, I should correct my initial reply. Even though the second chord shape looks like a D7, it's really an F#dim here. So the progression is i-iidim-V7.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:55 AM

Thank you Sir.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical