The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-19-2022, 04:31 PM

Default New Strings for Quiet Guitar

I recently purchased a classical guitar that is somewhat subdued sound wise so for those in the know will new strings improve volume. Thanks
Old 03-19-2022, 04:46 PM

High tension strings might boost the volume a bit. If you're new to nylon, might need to work on RH technique.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 03-19-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4d8 View Post
High tension strings might boost the volume a bit. If you're new to nylon, might need to work on RH technique.
I have a Cordoba C9 parlor which is a 7/8 guitar. I recently purchased a Cordoba Master Torres which is on par or slightly below the volume of the C9. So I'm wondering if I got a lemon or just a quiet guitar. I heard so much about how the Torres was loud and a better guitar but I would have to say it's on par with the C9. With a major price differential.
Old 03-19-2022, 06:06 PM

If it is quiet across both BASS and TREBLE strings, you can experiment with hard tension strings.

If it is quiet only across the BASS strings, you can try mixed tension (hard bass, normal treble).

You can also experiment with sets that have carbon trebles. The tension of carbon is harder than nylon (so a "normal" carbon string will have more tension than a "normal" nylon string). Carbon strings are louder but they are also brighter.

The links I provided are for Savarez strings. You can research other manufacturers as well.
Old 03-19-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastStrings View Post
If it is quiet across both BASS and TREBLE strings, you can experiment with hard tension strings.

If it is quiet only across the BASS strings, you can try mixed tension (hard bass, normal treble).

You can also experiment with sets that have carbon trebles. The tension of carbon is harder than nylon (so a "normal" carbon string will have more tension than a "normal" nylon string). Carbon strings are louder but they are also brighter.

The links I provided are for Savarez strings. You can research other manufacturers as well.
Thanks I'll look into it.
Old 03-20-2022, 10:06 AM

I think Brad hit it. The guitar has the characteristics that you purchased it for. Now it’s time to master “that” guitar. Spend days, weeks… years exploring the nuances of that instrument and squeezing every dB of tone out of it.
Old 03-20-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fngrpck View Post
I have a Cordoba C9 parlor which is a 7/8 guitar. I recently purchased a Cordoba Master Torres which is on par or slightly below the volume of the C9. So I'm wondering if I got a lemon or just a quiet guitar. I heard so much about how the Torres was loud and a better guitar but I would have to say it's on par with the C9. With a major price differential.
I missed this post. Yes, that would bother me as well.

If you have a return period on the Cordoba Torres, I would encourage you to play the instrument for a while with its current strings and see if its volume improves. If it does not improve, then I would suggest that you return the instrument.

If you are not covered by a return period, then try harder tension strings. That change though may affect the playability of the Torres.

The Torres has a slightly smaller body than the C9 but it would be my expectation that the process of wood-selection, additional 10mm in scale, and craftsmanship should easily make it as loud as (if not louder than) the C9 Parlor.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastStrings View Post
I missed this post. Yes, that would bother me as well.

If you have a return period on the Cordoba Torres, I would encourage you to play the instrument for a while with its current strings and see if its volume improves. If it does not improve, then I would suggest that you return the instrument.

If you are not covered by a return period, then try harder tension strings. That change though may affect the playability of the Torres.

The Torres has a slightly smaller body than the C9 but it would be my expectation that the process of wood-selection, additional 10mm in scale, and craftsmanship should easily make it as loud as (if not louder than) the C9 Parlor.
Thanks Coaststrings for your expertise and advice. I'm primarily a steel string player and new to the classical guitar world but the Torres was kind of timid volume wise. Perhaps I could have waited until the Torres bloomed or "woke up" but in my opinion it had miles to go to even match the factory made C9. I heard so much good about the Torres and really wanted to like it as esthetically it's a looker but the tone/volume just wasn't there. There's a waiting list for the Torres and my order was filled immediately leading me to believe that I had been sent someone's else's returned Torres. I got stuck for shipping one-way as I returned it. I guess that's the chance you take. Thanks again for reaffirming my initial feelings. Much appreciated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical