The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-23-2018, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

I have never played a fan-fret...something else to justify another guitar!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-23-2018, 09:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Later today you’ll be able to see it with the frets in, I expect.

My version of a MultiScale, typically, is considerably more subtle than your average “fanfret”. I make them because I believe they possess clearly superior tonal performance as compared to guitars with the same scale on all strings. For me, it started with the idea of combining the superior bass of an OM (as compared to a 000) with the sweet treble fluidity of a 000 (as compared to an OM). So it is simply 25.4 on the low E and 24.9 on the high e. This particular guitar, Gibson inspired as it is, is actually shorter scaled; 25 /4 x 24/3/4, I think, but the tonal balance remains similarly enhanced. Novak’s fanfret concept typically has/had a scale disparity of over an inch, more than twice what I do, and may require some technique adjustment to play cleanly on. My implementation is so transparent that if I hand you the guitar without your seeing it, you’d be quite unlikely to notice it at all. By “quite unlikely” I mean I’ve done this many times and no one ever has.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
By “quite unlikely” I mean I’ve done this many times and no one ever has.
Thus far any clunker notes cannot be attributed to the P000’s multiscale...alas...
Old 10-23-2018, 02:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
Thus far any clunker notes cannot be attributed to the P000’s multiscale...alas...
Took me a moment to figure out this was self deprecation, John. I really don't like "clunker notes" to be associated with my guitars in any way. You'll have to practice more.

Got the frets into Tom's guitar this morning. There were to have been birds in this fingerboard, but I balked at disturbing the visual force the Snakewood offers, and Tom indulged me, so side dots will have to be enough.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:22 PM

After seeing that Snakewood fingerboard all fretted up, it would truly had been a shame to put any inlays into it as Bruce had concluded and I wisely agreed as is my want in life (just don't ask Kathy for back-up on that point).
Old 10-23-2018, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Like the choice Tom...
Old 10-24-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Like the choice Tom...
Yes for sure it was the right choice.

This guitar now has strings and the master is NOT disappointed with first strum!!!
Old 10-24-2018, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Great looking fretboard.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Had the pleasure of having Buce and his wife over for dinner, so we could go thru a whole lotta pictures we all took in Italy, but Bruce had just put this guitar together and gotten it strung up with its initial setup, and brought it along with him -

Now, I have to say, I’ve had the opportunity to play a fair number of Bruces guitars, and I’d be happy to be stuck on a desert island with any of them, but there were 3 that are on my dream list -

First is a mahogany/adi 12 fret mini dread, which I don’t need to lust for, as its mine. I should say, the mahogany Sexauer that Laurelyn just built might give it a run, but bird in hand, etc, etc -

Second is the all walnut, which I had a chance to get, but hesitated, and its now in Australia or New Zealand I think, and it will probably not make its way back here ever - but maybe, someday -

Third is the carved maple back, which I never had a chance at, as it was the creative effort of Bruce and Bob working together, and I have a horrible feeling Bob will long outlive me, so that will have to be a sweet memory - I should probably just wish I hadn’t had a chance to play it before it left the shop -

But now, I have to add a fourth - I’ve played and heard a number of Bruces brazilian guitars, even own 2 of them, but this latest one has got something incredible going on with it. I think its the combination of Bruces refined assymetric body, the gentle multiscale, and the beautiful pairing of this quartersawn brazilian with an incredible euro top. The bass is so crisp and articulate, yet rich and full. The trebles are clear and musical, without any edginess or harshness. The midrange doesn’t really exist - its just that area where the bass blends seamlessly into the trebles, so evenly that from string to string and fret to fret, it all sounds incredible. And more than just the sound quality, it is incredibly loud - dig in, and this guitar will wake the neighbors!

Looks are great - I’m used to that with Bruces work, but the clean snakewood fretboard is gorgeous, and as a package, it all comes together just beautifully.

So - this one goes onto the short list of lusting after but unattainable - Tom, you are definitely going to be one happy camper!!
Old 10-28-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Like the choice Tom...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Had the pleasure of having Buce and his wife over for dinner, so we could go thru a whole lotta pictures we all took in Italy, but Bruce had just put this guitar together and gotten it strung up with its initial setup, and brought it along with him -

Now, I have to say, I’ve had the opportunity to play a fair number of Bruces guitars, and I’d be happy to be stuck on a desert island with any of them, but there were 3 that are on my dream list -

First is a mahogany/adi 12 fret mini dread, which I don’t need to lust for, as its mine. I should say, the mahogany Sexauer that Laurelyn just built might give it a run, but bird in hand, etc, etc -

Second is the all walnut, which I had a chance to get, but hesitated, and its now in Australia or New Zealand I think, and it will probably not make its way back here ever - but maybe, someday -

Third is the carved maple back, which I never had a chance at, as it was the creative effort of Bruce and Bob working together, and I have a horrible feeling Bob will long outlive me, so that will have to be a sweet memory - I should probably just wish I hadn’t had a chance to play it before it left the shop -

But now, I have to add a fourth - I’ve played and heard a number of Bruces brazilian guitars, even own 2 of them, but this latest one has got something incredible going on with it. I think its the combination of Bruces refined assymetric body, the gentle multiscale, and the beautiful pairing of this quartersawn brazilian with an incredible euro top. The bass is so crisp and articulate, yet rich and full. The trebles are clear and musical, without any edginess or harshness. The midrange doesn’t really exist - its just that area where the bass blends seamlessly into the trebles, so evenly that from string to string and fret to fret, it all sounds incredible. And more than just the sound quality, it is incredibly loud - dig in, and this guitar will wake the neighbors!

Looks are great - I’m used to that with Bruces work, but the clean snakewood fretboard is gorgeous, and as a package, it all comes together just beautifully.

So - this one goes onto the short list of lusting after but unattainable - Tom, you are definitely going to be one happy camper!!
Wow. Thank you for the review. I am envious you have had it in your hands already. That certainly creates the anticipation of its future arrival. Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful report.

BTW, do you have any interest in attending the B.I.G. next March with Bruce et.al. Lots of cool guitar stuff going on including Bruce not only displaying, but playing....hey that has a ring to it!
Old 10-28-2018, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Your event sounds great, and I would love to go, but between my first trip to europe and buying a new warehouse/workshop, I’m wondering if I am over-pampering myself, and maybe I need to make more effort to pay off credit cards and mortgages - but Bruce has got me thinking about it!
Old 10-28-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Your event sounds great, and I would love to go, but between my first trip to europe and buying a new warehouse/workshop, I’m wondering if I am over-pampering myself, and maybe I need to make more effort to pay off credit cards and mortgages - but Bruce has got me thinking about it!
When does our logical voice take over from our guitar voice? Resist! If you feel over pampered, I can put you to work serving, sweeping, bartending etc. so you feel better about it!!!!
Old 10-28-2018, 10:10 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Congrats Tom!.What a wonderful instrument.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Smile This is STUNNING.

Nice review for sure. Thanks tadol.

Boy Tom you will have a couple new sweethearts in time for B.I.G.!!!

I am looking forward to the whole shebang, but especially playing your new beauties.

Wonderful instrument Bruce! Way to go...

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 10-29-2018, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Glad you went bare on the fretboard, it is just too pretty a wood to cut anything into. I never considered it before, not confident in my skills to land on the correct frets without markers. This weekend I was at the Woodstock show and it seems inlays are out of fashion (Unless you're Grit Laskin), and they are either gone, or in some cases extremely subtle. I realized that, with all my playing over the last few years, mostly on electric guitars with barre chords all over the neck, my reliance on fretboard inlays is negligible. I still rely on the side fret markers, and like those to be a bit oversized.

Back to this guitar...the sound as explained by Tadol is just awesome! That's the sound I gravitate toward; crisp-fat lows, strong trebles, and just enough in the middle to know it's there. I played my first fan-fret on Friday, if I am fortunate enough to purchase another guitar, that's what it will be. This one is looking amazing, Tom, one of the great prizes in your collection.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop