The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-06-2019, 09:33 AM

Default Question about connecting pedals with Fishman Soloamp

Hi. I am new to live gigs and just bought a TC Helicon Perform VG to use with my Fishman SA220 PA system. Question is.....how do I connect it to my Fishman? The Perform VG has one XLR Out and a 1/4" Out, which is a pass thru for the guitar. So I am guessing I want to use the one XLR out and plug that into my Fishman. But do I plug it into one of the main channels in the front or do I use the "Monitor In" XLR input on the back? I don't think the Perform VG is considered a "preamp" so would it need to go into the front main channel of my Fishman? Or....do I use the "Effects Loop Send" and "Return" 1/4" connections on the back of the Fishman?

Thanks!

Last edited by JackB1; 02-06-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:53 PM

anyone? I know its a stupid question probably, but I need a little help
Old 02-06-2019, 03:15 PM

You can connect your TC Helicon unit to either the front XLR input or Monitor in at the back. The benefit of front inputs is having extra features EQ, phase switch etc. and gain if the signal is not high enough.
Try both, see if there is any difference in quality of the sound (e.g. noise level).
But I think most people would plug into the front channel inputs as the Monitor In is meant to monitor what the other performer plays or as an additional input if you need more than the two in the front.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

I am not familiar with the pedal you are referencing. But weather it is a guitar pedal or a mic pedal, you would plug your guitar or mic into the "In" of the pedal, then, plug the XLR into either of the 2 inputs of the SA220. Then you can EQ, change phase, or volume, or use the anti-feedback as you wish.

For example, I run both a RedEye pedal for my guitar and a Mic Mechanic for my mic. The really nice thing about the SA220 is it allows me to have phantom power to both pedals since the mic I use (PR35) needs phantom power. So, I plug the 1/4" chord from my guitar into the back of my RedEye, then an XLR out from the RedEye to one of the 2 front inputs on my SA220. On my Mic Mechanic, I am come out from the pedal with an XLR up to my mic, then, another XLR to my SA220.

Hope this helps.

Steve
P.S. Daren usually answers his own phone and is eager to answer any questions regarding his unit.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:13 PM

OK so it sounds like I go from the XLR out on the pedal (TCH Permorm HG) to the XLR input front regular channel of the Fishman.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2019, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Correct.

Steve
Old 02-07-2019, 02:48 AM

I use the sister of the Perform VG - Play Acoustic. I connect to the main input of the Fishman unit with only the single xlr, with the combined signal of both guitar and vocal. From there, I can EQ as needed.

If I find after doing this, I need different EQ for each, I would split the signal and output vocal to channel 1 (using the effects of the VG) and the guitar to channel 2 and add the guitar EQ and effects at the Fishman unit.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:46 AM

Hopefully the combined approach will work, because if I output them separately then I am only really utilizing the vocal half of the Perform VG, since the separate guitar output is a flat pass thru. Yes I would be able to EQ the guitar on the Fishman and add reverb...but that's it. I would be missing out on all the guitar effects on the VG unit (chorus, echo, body rez). Hopefully separate EQing won't be needed or this unit will be going back.

I did consider the Play Acoustic unit, but this VG Perform seems so much simpler to use. I'm more of a plug and play guy and don't like fiddling with all the submenus and settings. This will primarily be used live, so I want to pretty much set it and forget it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
I use the sister of the Perform VG - Play Acoustic. I connect to the main input of the Fishman unit with only the single xlr, with the combined signal of both guitar and vocal. From there, I can EQ as needed.

If I find after doing this, I need different EQ for each, I would split the signal and output vocal to channel 1 (using the effects of the VG) and the guitar to channel 2 and add the guitar EQ and effects at the Fishman unit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification