The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-04-2019, 07:33 PM

Default Bresh Fans - Thom has a new instructional video set

Thom Bresh, probably the best exemplar of the Merle Travis style (that was his father) has just put a video instructional series out on Truefire. It's entitled "The Breshman Chronicles"

In some ways, the instruction is reminiscent of his previous outing on Homespun, "Like Father Like Son", but the video audio and tab are far superior. (of course it's also 25 years later!)

Songs in the series include:Vermillion, Diana, Sidewalks of Bourdeaux, Blue Belle, Marcel's Thumb, Oolala Rochelle, Muhlenberg Moon and Hanging with the Girls I Know. In between takes, he discusses differences in the styles of Travis, Chet, Jerry Reed and Nokie Edwards.

I just started listening tonight - this is pretty deep stuff as the chords are not your usual cowboy chords. There is a lot of Gypsy and Jazz influence, lots of 9 chords, some 6s too.

Regardless, if you are a fan of the style, you know you'll have to check it out.

best,

Rick
Old 02-19-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Thom Bresh, probably the best exemplar of the Merle Travis style (that was his father) has just put a video instructional series out on Truefire. It's entitled "The Breshman Chronicles"

In some ways, the instruction is reminiscent of his previous outing on Homespun, "Like Father Like Son", but the video audio and tab are far superior. (of course it's also 25 years later!)

Songs in the series include:Vermillion, Diana, Sidewalks of Bourdeaux, Blue Belle, Marcel's Thumb, Oolala Rochelle, Muhlenberg Moon and Hanging with the Girls I Know. In between takes, he discusses differences in the styles of Travis, Chet, Jerry Reed and Nokie Edwards.

I just started listening tonight - this is pretty deep stuff as the chords are not your usual cowboy chords. There is a lot of Gypsy and Jazz influence, lots of 9 chords, some 6s too.

Regardless, if you are a fan of the style, you know you'll have to check it out.

best,

Rick
THANKS for this info. NOW I’m going to have to put myself through the grind on another Bresh dvd! The only song I could learn from the first one was Hanging With Girls I Know.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:29 PM

So you’re already one up on the new set!

I like the Homespun DVD much more as regards to its content, but the visuals on the TrueFire lesson are excellent. I found myself watching Bresh’s hands more than I looked at the tab. I don’t think that the producers at TrueFire wanted to admit that ‘loose’ playing can sound great if it has rhythm.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write