The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-26-2010, 11:25 PM

Default Removing extension on Martin neck block

I have a dovetail neck block that came with the Martin kit I got from someone who decided not to complete the build.
This will be the next build for my son, Bobby. I'm wanting to remove the extension that goes into the body just under the top.
Maybe it's to give a place to clamp under the fretboard when gluing it on, and/or adding a bit more gluing surface to connect the sides to the top. To me, it's just a bit of over-building on Martin's part. I've never used this type block, so I may be all wet on this.
It only weighs a little bit, I don't really want to keep it. And it makes accessing the truss rod harder.
Is there any harm in sawing it off?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 11-27-2010, 01:58 AM

Well there certainly are a lot of guitars out there without them. I've only built one guitar and it doesn't have one. Just a flat graft between the headblock and upper transverse brace. I like the concept of the headblock extension though, and will be using it on my second. Prevents distortion of the area of soundboard between the headblock and upper transverse brace, reducing likelihood of a neck reset being necessary, or at least putting it off longer. Not much acoustic activity above the UTB, and the fingerboard is glued there anyway weighting things down.

If you do saw it off, then you might want to replace it with something else. The flat graft (1/8" or so thick, often called a popsicle brace) is probably the most common, although there is debate whether it serves any useful purpose versus just leaving the soundboard bare between the headblock and UTB. Possible effects of it are helping to prevent cracks along the edges of the fingerboard extension, and stiffening the top a little bit to help resist the compressing force of the headblock trying to move toward the bridge.

Another good option is an A-frame going from the X arms, along the sides of the soundhole, notched underneath the upper transverse, and notched into the headblock. Similar structural effect to the headblock extension, less wood.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair