The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-19-2010, 07:19 PM

Default dent repair on gloss headstock

Hey guys!

Quick question. Is there any easy way to repair a small dent on my glossed Taylor headstock? I tried putting drops of water on them hoping that the dent would pop back up, but it hasn't. Any ideas? Thanks

"Let me be patient with my enemies, wise with my loved ones, and diligent with my life"

'04 Taylor 310 (gone)
'98 Taylor 815 ce (gone 5/31/2010)

'10 Taylor GS Mini (9/26/2010)
'10 Taylor K14 ce (upgraded Koa 5/31/2010)

'06 Fender Highway One (gone)
'06 '57 reissue Fender Strat
Old 10-19-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1229 View Post
Hey guys!

Quick question. Is there any easy way to repair a small dent on my glossed Taylor headstock? I tried putting drops of water on them hoping that the dent would pop back up, but it hasn't. Any ideas? Thanks
Steam (heat and water) will raise a dent in wood but what you're doing is applying water to the finish - not the wood.

To remove that dent you'd need to remove the finish surrounding it, steam it, sand it back smooth, and then refinish.

It doesn't seem you have the experience to do that so you're left with taking it to someone who does. Ask to see examples of their work because there are people out there who make false claims.

Jim McCarthy
Old 10-19-2010, 11:41 PM

Hey Jim,

Thanks so much for your input. So are there anyone in this forum who's got experience in this, and can show me some pictures? How do I put the finish back on? I assume you first sand the finish off, then steam it, and re-apply finish. Help! Thanks!

"Let me be patient with my enemies, wise with my loved ones, and diligent with my life"

'04 Taylor 310 (gone)
'98 Taylor 815 ce (gone 5/31/2010)

'10 Taylor GS Mini (9/26/2010)
'10 Taylor K14 ce (upgraded Koa 5/31/2010)

'06 Fender Highway One (gone)
'06 '57 reissue Fender Strat
Old 10-20-2010, 02:14 AM

Before you try to do this yourself you need to determine whether the finish is Taylor's UV-cured finish. From your list of Taylor guitars I'd assume that they have the UV finish. Repairing this type of finish is not a DIY unless you have the equipment and experience to work with UV-cured finishes. Some Taylor repair people are set up to do these kind of repairs, I'd suggest you contact Taylor for advice before you do anything.
Regards,
Ed
Old 10-20-2010, 07:55 AM

taylor have a good rep for communication for customer service

you might find that the cost is a little high though.

no idea how much it would cost, but personally, I'm not a person who demands that my guitars are immaculate
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2010, 05:35 PM

I have steamed lots of dents out without removing the finish. Use a pencil soldering iron and a wet cloth or heavy paper towel. Not dripping wet, but enough to make steam. Hold a piece of the towel over the dent and place the hot soldering iron on the towel right on the dent. The steam should help raise the dent. DON'T hold it too long short multiple times are best as yu don't want to burn the finish. Depending on how deep it is it may come all the way out or close. If you remove the finish you will of course have better luck, but much more work trying to refinish and blend in to the old finish, but the finish will level out the dent if steam doesn't. If there is a small divit left you can put super glue very carefully in the divit and let dry, sand and buff. I would only do this on certain finishes. A nitro finish would be better touched up with nitro. Good luck

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair