The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-30-2019, 01:22 PM
some guy from NY

Default Best way to trade a steel string for a nylon

I want to trade a steel string of mine for a nylon string guitar. I'm not well versed in shipping a guitar so I thought I'd go to a guitar store like Guitar Center (not that I like the store but I understand they will buy your guitar).
I'm wondering if I am just headed for a big rip off if I do that. Opinions?
Old 04-30-2019, 02:21 PM

Guitar Center will offer you half of what they expect to sell the guitar for. Other local places might do a little better than that. It's a profit driven industry.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:46 PM

You might not get the money you want for the guitar at guitar center. But selling it is completely hassle free.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 04-30-2019, 03:56 PM

Guitar Center reviews past sales on Ebay and averages them. They then give you 60% of that number. If you're doing it on a trade in you can then get 10% (or so) off your new purchase. If you have a good relationship with your GC sales rep you can get up to 15% off the new purchase so by adding that discount onto your trade in, you don't do horribly. As stated above, it's quick and easy. Otherwise, list it on Craigslist and sell it for 90% of the going rate and you'll get more than any trade in.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
You might not get the money you want for the guitar at guitar center. But selling it is completely hassle free.
I agree. You certainly won't get the best price, but in my experience GC is totally upfront and transparent in what they will offer and why. As a bit of compensation for getting a lower price, you won't have to deal with packing, insuring, shipping (with attendant possible damage), buyer disputes and other headaches. I think it's a great service.
-Bob
Old 05-01-2019, 12:31 AM
some guy from NY

Thanks to everyone who responded.

I really have trouble trading in the steel string.(Gibson J-150) So I decided just to get a low end nylon to try for awhile.
I ordered an art and lutherie nylon parlor w cedar top.
I have a cracked martin 000-15SM that I'm going to have repaired too. I'll probably put my big body guitars away for awhile.

Last edited by 3rd_harmonic; 05-01-2019 at 03:12 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical