The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-08-2015, 09:57 AM

Default 'Old' Podium store 00-12 Martin

Let me start with a little background info.

I bought a used 000-15 from Gryphon Instruments. It plays like a dream and I've been happy. I don't like the Sapele, or the finish but, I repeat, it plays like a dream. So that lead me a few years ago to pick up the Podium 00-12 that is a gloss, ebony fretboard, slothead, with beautiful mahogany.

The problem is it's a case queen because of a narrower string spacing at the bridge. I didn't ask the right questions at the time, so that's what I got.

My question? Is there a simple fix? I want to go from 2-1/8 to as close to 2-5/16's as I can get.

I suspect it's a 'sell it and get a different guitar' scenario but this combination of woods and finish is unmatchable in the price range I paid for it. Truly a gem, just won't work for me......yet.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:41 AM

If you add 3/16 to the saddle width, will the strings align up the neck?

My vote - sell it or get used to it. Just keep playing it man. Your technique will adjust. If you can't warm up to that - Sell.

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 11-08-2015, 11:55 AM

If you look at many of the Traveler Guitars marketed as "acoustic" they have a notched saddle as the strings go around the back. Why not try making a notched saddle with the string spacing you want and see if it actually works. I know this is heresy on the AGF, but a notched saddle combined with Powerpins with which you could reduce the break angle of the string over the saddle and point the string at the notch, might make it work better. My experience with Powerpins is quite good and I think too much is made of their mass (since it is right at the fulcrum of the seesaw, which is an acoustic bridge, and the energy wasted wearing away your bridgeplate is recovered for sound). Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-08-2015, 12:39 PM

It depends less upon the bridge, but rather depends upon the fingerboard width and taper and if there is any room to widen the spacing. A new bridge with wider spacing is easy.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-08-2015, 08:00 PM

If I grab it by the waist, facing me, I can hook my thumbs on both 'E' strings and pull them outward a bit and still have enough fretboard space toward the edges. I'm thinking this may be doable!

I was rough estimated $700 to redo the bridge and bridgeplate though. I need to get a job where I can charge that much for a little wood work, lol.

That quote was just a phone call discussing it so I'm not really holding that against 'em.

If I could spend a couple of hundred and make it comfortable I'd drop it off in a minute.

Thanks for the replies. Ned is this doable in your opinion? (without seeing it).
Old 11-08-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarfish View Post
If I grab it by the waist, facing me, I can hook my thumbs on both 'E' strings and pull them outward a bit and still have enough fretboard space toward the edges. I'm thinking this may be doable!

I was rough estimated $700 to redo the bridge and bridgeplate though. I need to get a job where I can charge that much for a little wood work, lol.

That quote was just a phone call discussing it so I'm not really holding that against 'em.

If I could spend a couple of hundred and make it comfortable I'd drop it off in a minute.

Thanks for the replies. Ned is this doable in your opinion? (without seeing it).
Very doable. I can't imagine needing to charge 700 for the job. It's just a new bridge, with plugging of the original holes before gluing the new bridge on. Just a day of work, maybe a slight bit more. Even coupled with a new nut (to widen the spacing slightly from there, too), it shouldn't run into 2 full days of work. Bridge plate does not need to be replaced (presuming it was well-fitted and glued to begin with.)

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-08-2015, 10:41 PM

Well thank you, that gives me a little knowledge. So now I'm dangerous.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I know this is heresy on the AGF, but a notched saddle . . .
Right-o, that's a simple and logical way to do a temporary setup to see how the spacing will work out. I've done it many times, preparatory to, or even instead of engaging in more serious modification.

Frank Ford
Old 11-09-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post
Right-o, that's a simple and logical way to do a temporary setup to see how the spacing will work out. I've done it many times, preparatory to, or even instead of engaging in more serious modification.
Yes, and since this method is both reversible and non-destructive, you can try it and decide then if you want to make the permanent change. It's a simple matter of getting another saddle made to try the new string spacing. You may find it not worth the difference, and decide to sell it and buy a more comfortable guitar. Nice to know before sinking a lot of money into re-bridging it.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair