The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default Questions on Fretboard restoration.

I thought I was tuning a buddies guitar. It needs the first 6 frets replaced, a new saddle..... and there is considerable fingerboard wear in the cowboy chord areas/first 3 frets worth. Too much to sand the fretboard to level again. Can I fill (Indian Rosewood fretboard) with rosewood dust and CA? My other idea is to rout the first 3 down and put in rosewood patches. I have 40 pounds of Martin Rosewood scrap wood, I am sure I could match whats there. The sides are bound.
Other idea's?
Old 11-28-2010, 05:53 PM

Never tried it myself, but I think CA and sawdust is the standard approach:
http://www.frets.com/fretspages/Luth...boardivot.html

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 11-28-2010, 07:34 PM

John, I'm not really experienced in this, but would it be easier to replace the fretboard? Can it be removed from the neck, and another put down?
Just thinking it might be very hard to make the first 3 fret areas the same height as the rest unless you did a complete re-fret.
I don't really have a clue on this, but thought I'd throw something out there to chew on.
Best of luck,
Bob
Old 11-28-2010, 09:54 PM

You can use CA, or dust and wood glue or dust and epoxy. anything will work. Remove the frets, fill the divits, level the board and refret. It may be noticeable, but will function just fine.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Bob, the Fretboard would be a nightmare to remove. I'd never get the 30 year old binding off and back on. I doubt I could match it. I'll paint a few shades of Rosewood in with CA.
Before I start anything I'll do a surgery consult with the owner.
Looks like I get to use the house Iron I just bought. Home Depot had them for $7.00

Whatever I do I will snap pictures of it and post them.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:07 AM

I say leave it. Grooves = mojo, which also BTW = groove. Look at Tommy Emmanuel's guitars!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
I thought I was tuning a buddies guitar. It needs the first 6 frets replaced, a new saddle..... and there is considerable fingerboard wear in the cowboy chord areas/first 3 frets worth. Too much to sand the fretboard to level again. Can I fill (Indian Rosewood fretboard) with rosewood dust and CA? My other idea is to rout the first 3 down and put in rosewood patches. I have 40 pounds of Martin Rosewood scrap wood, I am sure I could match whats there. The sides are bound.
Other idea's?
I think you're on the right track with the routing it off idea. I can say with certainty that filling that amount of material using CA and sawdust is going to look really jr. high school - no matter how you try to color it.

Rout off as many frets as necessary, cut the fret slots by hand and trim the new segment to fit, and lay that one piece back in to replace what you've routed.

It's finicky work considering that you're dealing with a bound fretboard. Just
rout as close as you dare to the binding and remove the remainder with sharp hand tools.

Jim McCarthy
Old 11-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I think I am with the Kwak on this one. I have read of deliberate scalloping of the fret board to increase variations on pressure. Why mess with the dudes groove?
BUT, his first 6-7 frets are screwed they need to go. I will build wear height into the replacements to level. The neck angle is great. Frets are tight. Still. there is quite a shopping list!
I replaced a hunk of missing binding tonight. I am back to playing I haven't had the time or brain to do Guitar build/repair for 3 months!
I estimate the repair bill on this $200-500 guitar at over $500. But, my bill is 0.
Just having fun.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I estimate the repair bill on this $200-500 guitar at over $500. But, my bill is 0.
Just having fun.
Egads!

Just use Bondo!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:40 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Egads!

Just use Bondo!
I saw a nice Bondo job on a $5-10k 1940's Gibson. Pink flat areas everywhere, yuck. lol

Here is the work order;
Replace 7 frets
Recrown and polish other frets
Clean Nut slots
Manufacture a 84 Ninja cow bone replacement Saddle
Re- slot bridge pin holes
New Bridge Pins
Replace missing fretboard bottom binding (I used Spalted Sycamore)
Final Neck check and set up (neck angle is fantastic for a 30 year old)
Replace 9V battery
New set of strings.

What would you folks charge? Again, I am doing all of this work for fun, just getting a feel for what I should charge in the future. I think Fret replacements are $25-$50 per slot?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
Never tried it myself, but I think CA and sawdust is the standard approach:
http://www.frets.com/fretspages/Luth...boardivot.html
John,
I have used Franks method dozens of times and it is virtually flawless when done properly. Just gouge some 1/8" deep razor lines with the grain. Drop some thin CA in and IMMEDIATELY drizzle in some appropriate wood dust and allow to dry slowly. First, you have to remove ALL of the frets though because you will need to level sand the entire length of the FB level after the glue dries. Take an old cottage cheese or butter dish and cut it into strips 3" x 3/8" then slip the strips into the fret slots prior to using any CA. DON'T use any CA accelerator or the CA can turn white and the repair will be an ugly mess. Just allow it to dry overnight and then sand level.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:50 PM

I am just an amateur.
This is how I repaired the divots in a old fingerboard - with wood dust and CA.

1990 Yamaha FG412 S
1980? Blueridge BR-OS
2006 Epiphone Ej300S
Old 11-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
John,
I have used Franks method dozens of times and it is virtually flawless when done properly. Just gouge some 1/8" deep razor lines with the grain. Drop some thin CA in and IMMEDIATELY drizzle in some appropriate wood dust and allow to dry slowly. First, you have to remove ALL of the frets though because you will need to level sand the entire length of the FB level after the glue dries. Take an old cottage cheese or butter dish and cut it into strips 3" x 3/8" then slip the strips into the fret slots prior to using any CA. DON'T use any CA accelerator or the CA can turn white and the repair will be an ugly mess. Just allow it to dry overnight and then sand level.
ALL THE FRETS? My make believe price just went up a boatload! Happy Holidays! I'll see you soon.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:33 PM

Talking

Quote:
ALL THE FRETS? My make believe price just went up a boatload! Happy Holidays! I'll see you soon.
So now you can go to the make believe Zootman!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair