The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-02-2010, 08:25 PM

Cool I need to buy a new bridge...

Hello all, thanks in advance for all and any advise.

I need to buy a new bridge... To make a long story short, got a great deal on a very old, Pre-Washburn Oscar Schmidt OCG312 but the bridge (which was not attached) is slightly warped. The only one similar I can find is a Martin Jumbo40 (but Martin won't sell me a bridge).

Here is the bridge:

I've gone to all the popular sites listed on this website for parts and none of them have any that have the main strings next to the saddle like mine.

Thanks again for any advise...

Dan Reilly
Sarasota, FL
Old 11-02-2010, 09:12 PM

Link to the pic of the bridge:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsreill...n/photostream/

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hello Dan
I can make you a new one using the old one as a pattern. PM me if you'd like.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:05 PM

If it is only slightly warped you might be able to heat it and straighted it, or plane it. When building a new bridge i like to have the bridge on the guitar before routing the saddle slot to make sure the intonation is correct.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:24 PM

Im not sure what you mean by " main strings next to the saddle"... if its a cheapo repair, allparts sells rosewood martin copy bridges for like 15 bucks ( WATCH THE INTONATION), or better yet, if you can shave or plane the warp out of the original you'll keep it all original... or a luthier might make it out of a very original design but you're into a few bucks... setting the bridge properly is huge though since unlike a stratocaster, there is only a very limited ability to adjust the intonation of an acoustic guitar and an improperly placed bridge will turn your vintage into a pretty wallhanging. If it were me I would take the original to a luthier and have the warp planed out if possible and set on the guitar, not just made and shipped... it seems like the cheapest solution that will leave the instrument in original form.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:13 PM

Intonating the bridge is not that hard as long as the saddle slot is not routed. I use a hex wrench ,the size is determined by string height, and place it where the saddle will go, by measuring, then string up the two E strings and move the wrench to intonate. Mark each side of the wrench and route the slot for the saddle width and length.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair