The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-20-2016, 06:31 PM

Default Rattling preamp circuit board - Taylor 614CE

I played my new (to me) 2015 614ce Taylor last night and did a couple songs that were drop D tuned and finger picked a bit. I noticed last night that I get some rattle when I play an open D string, and even more when I play an open low D. If I touch the circuit board (preamp) inside the guitar (ES2) then I can stop it, so I am 99.9% sure it is something on that board, or the board itself.

Anyone else have this issue? Anything I can do to fix it? It isn't bad enough when I'm strumming that it bothers me, but when fingerpicking it is noticeable and annoying, especially for such a nice guitar.

Edit: Got it taken care of!

Last edited by HotRodx14; 11-18-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:17 AM

You're pretty close to Phoenix, there's gotta be a Taylor dealer near where you live. Unless you've got the inspection mirrors, lights and tools to fix something like this, you're way better off paying someone to fix it right.
Taylor 600ce Special
Taylor 615e Baritone
Takamine EG-124 Classical.
Fender American Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Taylor 150e 12-String.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:48 PM

Could be a loose ferrule holding the board's controls to the side of the guitar. You need a special tool (which I happen to have) and I would think any Taylor repair center would tighten them for free. You could pull off the knobs and try to do it by hand or cut a notch out of a stiff credit card and use that.

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-18-2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodx14 View Post
I played my new (to me) 2015 614ce Taylor last night and did a couple songs that were drop D tuned and finger picked a bit. I noticed last night that I get some rattle when I play an open D string, and even more when I play an open low D. If I touch the circuit board (preamp) inside the guitar (ES2) then I can stop it, so I am 99.9% sure it is something on that board, or the board itself.

Anyone else have this issue? Anything I can do to fix it? It isn't bad enough when I'm strumming that it bothers me, but when fingerpicking it is noticeable and annoying, especially for such a nice guitar.

Edit: Got it taken care of!
Hey wondering what solved it? I have the exact same problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification