The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-17-2018, 01:33 PM

Great thread.

I find it interesting that Laurelyn is shaping the neck with the fretboard clamped vertically rather than horizontally.

Is there an ergonomic advantage to doing it like this ?
Old 07-17-2018, 04:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have no idea how others do this. Also, in the preceding picture she is not actually shaping the neck as people usually use the words, but is pre-shaping it by establishing the ultimate limits of it in geometric figures: straight and curved lines delineating limited planes. I have never before used these words to describe what we do, but they do seem right. This is the process I have developed for controlling the shape of the neck so that it hit my preconceived goals in the end. And it is the reason I am extremely reticent to change a neck shape once it's done, I'd be lost in the woods w/o a compass.

She is actually shaping the neck as I write, and I will likely get a picture of it soon.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:25 PM

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes!

Yesterday and today I've been working on shaping the neck. It is a many stepped task, something I didn't realize until now! I've finished getting the basic shape, making the 5 sections perfectly flat, and am now working on rounding it into a consistent shape and smoothing out all the bumps.

Here's that picture my dad promised of me shaping the neck:

It's not easy work! Definitely requires a solid amount of elbow grease. Here's dad giving me a run down and step by step instruction on how to do it on his Italy guitar:

Old 07-17-2018, 06:31 PM

Well Hello Laurelyn, sorry I missed your first post a few days ago. Welcome to the AGF! At least we have one good looking Sexauer now!!!!! I hope you remember me as that handsome young fella you and your family had dinner with a while back!!!! Super cool about the guitar. It looks great so far for sure!
Old 07-17-2018, 06:39 PM

Shaping the neck with facets is a term commonly used at the Tele Home Depot guitar building forum on tdpri. A member with the name guitarbuilder had some good instructional threads showing how it is done and most people that start out there learn the method. I see Bruce's arrangement as being practical, more ergonomic in terms of using your upper body strength (or getting the most done with the least effort). It makes sense with the height of the vice, I may have to try it.

Hi Laurelyn. We are all excited to see you here giving guitar building a shot, in part due to the respect your dad has in these parts. If you find you get a sense of satisfaction in building this guitar and all the little steps that you need to do to make a good one does not seem tedious you have no better person guiding you along. Take it easy and get a feel for each operation and the tools. You are doing great and if you do decide to continue building (it can be darn addictive) you have plenty of time to grow into it and develop in the direction you want. That is about the best encouragement I have to offer.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hello Laurelyn...

Welcome to the forum. I've enjoyed watching your build progress, and look forward to seeing the picture your Dad needs to post later...the one with the big smile on your face as you strum it for the very first time (don't forget that one Bruce).
One warning, though...the art & craft of lutherie gets into your blood, and you should probably begin preparing yourself for the reality of future builds. Thank you for sharing your journey with us all.

Joel Teel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 07-18-2018, 05:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Laurelyn test fitted her neck to the body for the first time today:

Now she is doing the hard work of getting bandsaw cuts to look like symmetrical curves. It's coming!
Old 07-19-2018, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Welcome to the forum, Laurelyn. Your guitar is coming into being nicely. Great job!

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-20-2018, 11:18 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Yup. Another awesome Sexauer guitar. Really nice job so far Laurelyn.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Hello Laurelyn, thanks for sharing your work, its very cool to see a craft passed on... Great job!
Old 07-23-2018, 07:03 PM

I didn't have the chance to check the forum over the weekend, and may I say it so nice to come back and see how many of you shared! Thanks for the support!

It's Monday and back to the work bench! Today we glued and shaped the heel cap on the necks, measured and drilled the holes for the tuners, and designed and sawed/filed my "logo" for installation to the head plate tomorrow. All in all a very productive day!

Here's my headstock after we measured where the tuners will go:

Here I am sawing out my logo shape (You don't want to know how many saw blades I broke trying to do this...):

In other news, my kitty, Stella, made an appearance in the shop today. It was pretty cute so I thought I would share:
Old 07-24-2018, 05:21 AM

Cute indeed! Just out of curiosity, what fruit is that growing on the tree outside ?
Old 07-24-2018, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful work so far Laurelyn. I've heard some of your singing on Bruce's recording collection and was mightily impressed. Do you also play the guitar? I noticed you are left handed using the coping saw. Will this be a left handed guitars?

Old 07-24-2018, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Nice photos. Stella is one good looking kitty. Now you have me curious about your logo. I look forward to the unveiling. It is amazing to see how much you have accomplished in a relatively short period of time, Laurelyn. It really is impressive even knowing who your Dad is.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-24-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Cute indeed! Just out of curiosity, what fruit is that growing on the tree outside ?
Apples! Dad and I planted the tree together when I was five!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop