The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 06-30-2018, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Ray LaMontagne

We saw Ray LaMontagne for the first time last night. Neko Case (who I’ve seen many times, and is great) opened for Ray’s group in an open-air concert at Massachusetts Museum of Mordern Art in the Berkshires. I was blown away! I went to the concert expecting to see a throaty folk singer. He did play a few of those familiar songs, but he also played a lot of unfamiliar original music. I was unprepared for his imaginative electric guitar performances. When he pulled out the electrics, I was floored. This man can rock. I felt like the clock got tuned back a few decades, but it was incredibly original stuff.

Dana Bourgeois told me a story about Ray working in a shoe factory next to his shop in Maine. And as I recall, he worked with Dana for a while. He now lives about 10 miles from my house in Massachusetts, but I hardly ever see him scheduled to play in my area. Im going to pay more attention to his act going forward.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:02 PM

Saw that show in Austin on 06/09. Great show!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 06-30-2018, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

I saw him on one of the PBS musical shows... maybe Austin City Limits? Wherever it was, he pleasantly surprised me too.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
We saw Ray LaMontagne for the first time last night. Neko Case (who I’ve seen many times, and is great) opened for Ray’s group in an open-air concert at Massachusetts Museum of Mordern Art in the Berkshires. I was blown away! I went to the concert expecting to see a throaty folk singer. He did play a few of those familiar songs, but he also played a lot of unfamiliar original music. I was unprepared for his imaginative electric guitar performances. When he pulled out the electrics, I was floored. This man can rock. I felt like the clock got tuned back a few decades, but it was incredibly original stuff.
I had the exact opposite experience. I went to see Ray right as he was giving up the folk singer thing in favor of the more "Supernova" stuff. I slept through 3/4 of the show.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN