The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-01-2016, 10:06 AM

Default Built-in ES2 system or soundhole pickup?

I'm trying to decide which would better if I opted for a new Mexican Taylor... Since my budget is around 500-800 dollars, I was wondering if I should get a 110ce/114ce with ES2 or if I should spring for the 210 deluxe/ 214 deluxe with the gloss finish and put something like a passive Fishman Neo-D Humbucker or LR Baggs M1 in it.

This is, of course, assuming I go with a Taylor - I'm researching the neck out of this and I'm not even planning on buying until around Christmas

What's ya'lls take on this?
Old 04-02-2016, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

I really like the ES2. I'd pick the guitar first based off what I was looking for and then decide on the pickup.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:27 PM

Default Decisions, decisions.....

You might want to consider saving up until you can get to the 300 series. It's all solid woods. Of course you could always consider used and get more bang for your buck, Taylor or other.

As far as the ES system goes, I've never been a fan of punching holes in otherwise perfectly good wood. The knobs, holes in the bridge, the big ugly boards inside and the rattling battery door where the end block should be.

Also, why settle for someone else's choice on a pickup. Pick the guitar you want and put the pickup you want into it.

Just my opinion, but you did ask.......
Old 04-02-2016, 06:55 PM

As someone who hates both the ES and ES2 I'd vote to get the pure acoustic version and then add a K&K pure mini.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-02-2016, 07:04 PM

I suggest you give them a try. There are many satisfied ES2 customers. If you are getting a giging guitar, consider ES2. Ask one of the sponsors to work with you on the price for a 210e or 214ce DLX. You'll spend a bit more, but you won't have to replace it any time soon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2016, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I suggest you give them a try. There are many satisfied ES2 customers. If you are getting a giging guitar, consider ES2. Ask one of the sponsors to work with you on the price for a 210e or 214ce DLX. You'll spend a bit more, but you won't have to replace it any time soon.

I agree with this advice.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

214ce Deluxe is an incredible value. I am a Martin guy... But frankly, for a performing musician, the Taylor at this price point sounds and plays much better than the Martin PA series, let alone lower...
Old 04-06-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifdawg View Post
I'm trying to decide which would better if I opted for a new Mexican Taylor... Since my budget is around 500-800 dollars, I was wondering if I should get a 110ce/114ce with ES2 or if I should spring for the 210 deluxe/ 214 deluxe with the gloss finish and put something like a passive Fishman Neo-D Humbucker or LR Baggs M1 in it.

This is, of course, assuming I go with a Taylor - I'm researching the neck out of this and I'm not even planning on buying until around Christmas

What's ya'lls take on this?
Clifdawg, what did you decide to do?

Old 04-06-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Clifdawg, what did you decide to do?

I appreciate all the input... right now I'm actually torn between the Taylor 114e or a Seagulls Walnut Excursion mini-jumbo with a case and a Seymour Duncan SA6 Mag-mic put in. Two very similar guitars in acoustic tone, build quality, and playability... I'll just have to go back and jam on both of then for a while and decide what works out best for me

Thanks to the input, though, I've decided not to fall for the extra bling of a 200-series Taylor and stick with a workhorse 100e series if I opt for the Taylor.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:41 AM

Default Built-in ES2 system or soundhole pickup?

I got my 414 back last week and I am very happy with the ES2. Very natural sounding and much more of a plug and play system than the old ES1. It does benefit from some subtle eq, but then that applies to any pickup. There is a nice high end sparkle in the sound that other piezo systems don't have and a good weight to the main body of the sound. Unlike the ES1 it is much easier to integrate it with various preamps - I use mine with the Tonebone Pz-pre and my usage of eq is much more subtle then it was with the ES1.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-07-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
I got my 414 back last week and I am very happy with the ES2. Very natural sounding and much more of a plug and play system than the old ES1. It does benefit from some subtle eq, but then that applies to any pickup. There is a nice high end sparkle in the sound that other piezo systems don't have and a good weight to the main body of the sound. Unlike the ES1 it is much easier to integrate it with various preamps - I use mine with the Tonebone Pz-pre and my usage of eq is much more subtle then it was with the ES1.
So glad to hear you're enjoying the new ES2!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification