The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2018, 02:17 PM

As a pick snob, I am partial to some pretty expensive picks... But find myself constantly reaching for my Dunlop Primetones. I have many in different shapes and thicknesses; and use them frequently for both acoustic guitar and mandolin. For just general use, and electric playing, I really love the Dunlop Ultex. They're very affordable but feel and sound great, I gravitate towards the 1.00 or 1.14 in both the standard Teardrop shape or the big triangle.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amo_guilford View Post
As a pick snob, I am partial to some pretty expensive picks... But find myself constantly reaching for my Dunlop Primetones. I have many in different shapes and thicknesses; and use them frequently for both acoustic guitar and mandolin. For just general use, and electric playing, I really love the Dunlop Ultex. They're very affordable but feel and sound great, I gravitate towards the 1.00 or 1.14 in both the standard Teardrop shape or the big triangle.
Amo, agreed. Before I got into the business -- before I even knew about high-end picks -- I played almost exclusively Dunlop Ultexes, the same models you play, 1.14 mm teardrops. I've said on here many times, and will say again now: folks, if you haven't tried these, you really need to. I'm convinced that dollar-for-dollar they are the best guitar pick value on the planet.

I love Dunlop. What a company. If you look closely at the way we go to market, I've designed CLP around the same approach that Dunlop takes. You're a fool if you sell guitar picks and don't study very closely how Dunlop does business. They came in and ate Fender's lunch. Good marketing is good marketing, no matter your price points, and no one does it better.

One other thing: Dunlop will send you free picks, with free freight, even one or two Primetones. I can't find it right now, but they have a form for this right on their website.

be well,
scott memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 09-26-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:20 PM

I've tried a bunch BC Primetone, Wegan.
I keep going back to these Fender extra heavys.
The white ones. Standard 351 size.. I drill holes in them. If i drop
one on a flat black stage i can find it quickly ha..
33 bucks a gross..If you havent tried these
you need to do yourself a favor.
look like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-351-...item489a372bc2
Old 09-26-2018, 07:02 PM

I知 sitting here comparing Ultex and Primetone again. In the 1.0, I値l take the Primetone on both my D55 and new J35 as well. But Scott, I found an Ultex 1.14 and it is a different critter. The added thickness adds some depth to the sound that痴 definitely not there with the 1.0. I知 impressed.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchman View Post
I知 sitting here comparing Ultex and Primetone again. In the 1.0, I値l take the Primetone on both my D55 and new J35 as well. But Scott, I found an Ultex 1.14 and it is a different critter. The added thickness adds some depth to the sound that痴 definitely not there with the 1.0. I知 impressed.
Perch, yep, I like them boys a lot. Primetones are also made of Ultem, as far as I know; however, Dunlop would have the resources to tweak the formula if they wanted to. But the natural color of Ultem is the color of the Dunlop Ultex. Interestingly, we've discovered with casein picks that the die used in coloration actually affects the tonality of the picks. Not majorly, but this is a different. I thought I was imagining it till people starting reporting this back to me. So it may very well be that whatever coloring agent is being used in the Primetone is ever so slightly affecting the tone of the pick.

I know this sounds bizarre to most people. It sounds bizarre to me. But this has been my own experience, and also report by a bunch of people.

Thanks, Perch.

scott
Old 10-16-2018, 06:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I've tried a bunch BC Primetone, Wegan.
I keep going back to these Fender extra heavys.
The white ones. Standard 351 size.. I drill holes in them. If i drop
one on a flat black stage i can find it quickly ha..
33 bucks a gross..If you havent tried these
you need to do yourself a favor.
look like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-351-...item489a372bc2
Var, $33 a gross beats $35 apiece. You know, I've discovered that the same plastic with different coloration gets changes slightly with each color. I wonder if this is true for regular old celluloid as well.

scott memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion