The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-05-2016, 11:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Wow! Thanks for for all the kind comments, everyone.
Jeff (Bubbaprime), maybe we can collaborate, and you can can make one of these guitars for yourself, when I get my Master shop up and running, and the Innisfree Guitar Works Lutherie course launches. I hope you'll be there for that! I think you'd love how much power and grace these little guitars have, and how comfortable and intimate they are to play.
Roger- at first, I was a little put off by the idea of the 'scoop-away" too, but it really grew on me when I saw and played Joel Michaud's guitars at the Memphis AG Festival last June. He's really got a unique style; and this guitar is intended to be a bow of respect to Joel's brilliant design abilities.

Joel (Wood Knot), my brother, yes the Siren is the fraternal twin to the Falcon model. The first one of these little guitars I made (in 2009) was a Falcon EF 75, with a 22.5" tenor banjo scale, and twelve frets to the body. I took that guitar to the 2009 Healdsburg show, where it was bought by our very own J.R. Rogers. In 2010, he awarded the prototype Falcon the 2010 AGF Founder's Choice Guitar-of-the-year Award- which was the single most important great thing to launch my full-time lutherie career. All of my current success I owe to J.R.'s advocacy and kindness.

Then I made a non-cutaway, 24" scale, thirteen-frets-to-body guitar with the same mold and templates; and it was different enough from the Falcon that I decided to call it by another name- the Siren, ES 75.

Since then, the lines of demarcation have become blurred. I build both Falcons and Sirens in a range of scale lengths, both twelve and thirteen fret configurations, and now they are essentially the same model, in cutaway and non-cutaway versions. But I still think of the cutaway ones as Falcons, and the standard ones as Sirens.

With this build, I wasn't sure what to call it; since the scoop is about halfway between a cutaway and a standard. Finally, I decided to call it the Siren Style S (for "scoop-away) Multiscale.

Your Monty Python Igor impersonation made me LOL- but I assure you, there was no black magic involved. Quite the opposite, in fact. This project came to me more as an unmistakable affirmation of Grace.

Tom, if Joel Michaud made a guitar kit, you bet I would build one! That guy is rapidly rising to the very top echelon of 21st-Century Lutherie Greats. He's got more talent in his left hand little finger than most people have in their entire bodies. I would already put Joel up there with Jordan McConnell and Mike Greenfield. His guitars always leave me gasping in inexpressible awe, admiration and appreciation.

Ken (KAHobbs)... You're next up on my build list. Time to start hammering out the details. You may have noticed in the top pictures, there's your set of the Tree Mahogany to the left, patiently waiting to be fashioned into your next Edwinson:

Stay tuned, folks, Ken and I are about to start on a Tree/Tunnel 13 guitar, my NUMBER 100; also with another Joel Michaud-inspired feature, including some jewelry work by Ken's wife Eileen.

Anyway, I need to get to work now. This Siren needs pore-filling, and the De Profundis is about ready for the final round of wet-sanding. Thanks for looking, everyone. I'm so glad to be a member of this community.

Last edited by theEdwinson; 05-05-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:02 PM

Wow, Ken, that is quite an honor to have number 100 be yours. I thought Steve was going to set number 100 aside as a spec build for himself....you must be quite the customer to get that plan changed....congrats to you, the tree and tunnel 13, amazing woods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2016, 10:10 PM

I've quietly advocated that Steve build # 100 for himself. That said, I couldn't be more pleased that Steve has decided to share a milestone experience with me.

For those who watched the Blackwood Rose come together, I can only say, hold on to your hats. This one is going to be my last commission, my retirement present to myself, and my opportunity to provide an artist with an extraordinary canvas upon which to paint.

It is not by accident that this is a "Tree" guitar.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Fabulous looking guitar, Steve, with extraordinary sound to match no doubt! Looking forward to #100, Ken.
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 05-07-2016, 11:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

I want to let everyone who sees this thread know that Brent and Annette Cole, owners of Alaska Specialty Woods, recently were hit with a disaster- their home and office were destroyed in a fire, and Brent was badly injured. He's on the mend now, and from what I've heard, he's going to recover fully; but they need a lot of help to keep their business alive.
A Go Fund Me page has been set up; however, I don't know how to get to it yet. Anyone who knows, please post it HERE.

You can read Brent's vivid and moving description of this shocking event HERE.

Many of us here know Brent and have done business with him, as he supplies us with some of the best Sitka, Cedar, and Alder guitar woods you'll ever see, at great prices, and with consistently excellent and dependable service. And he ONLY sources his stock from dead standing trees, blow-downs, and re-claimed timber. None of the remaining live trees are molested. Brent is passionate about preserving these resources as a legacy for future generations. Brent is a good man, running an excellent, upright, high-quality enterprise.
The guitar I built, featured in this thread, is topped with some beautiful 4A bearclaw Sitka that I bought from Brent, shortly before this fire happened. I rely on Brent and ASW for ALL my Sitka and Cedar. Brent's grading is the most REAL and HONEST I've seen anywhere. AAA grade sets from Brent are often what other vendors call Mastergrade. And the ones he calls Mastergrade are TRULY the best you will ever find. And his prices are the best you'll find anywhere too.
Anyone who needs to stock up on these woods, please consider giving your business to Brent and ASW. They need to generate revenue to survive this disaster, and you will be very well pleased with the woods you receive. And if you can, please donate whatever you can spare to the GoFundMe account- as soon as we can find out how to get to it. I will update this as soon as I get that link.

And please, if you can, broadcast this around whatever social media channels you use. We need to get the word out, so that hopefully Brent and Annette can put this disaster well behind them, and not only keep their business going, but start a new chapter of prosperity, and wise and careful stewardship of these precious resources.

Thanks to everyone who helps, in any way possible.

UPDATE: Here's the link to Brent and Annette's GoFundMe page, posted on the other thread by our good buddy Nemoman: https://www.gofundme.com/5vzxk5gk Thanks, everybody!

Last edited by theEdwinson; 05-07-2016 at 01:18 PM. Reason: update link
Old 05-07-2016, 11:43 AM

Congrats Steve on the new model! You must feel like a proud father You are obviously a talented luthier with an enormous heart as you've paid homage to both Joel Michaud and Alaska Specialty Woods in your own thread.

I look forward to the rest of this thread along with your exciting upcoming builds

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 05-07-2016, 01:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you, Marcus. Even though I'm a luthier, I have just as much G.A.S. as the next guy; and anyone who knows Joel Michaud and his guitars is fully aware that he has a rare and special set of talents. Not only is his craftsmanship already at Master-level, he also has incredible design skills. He's going to go far in this work- all the way to the top!

About the Number 100 guitar: I had planned on building that one as a spec instrument, pulling out all the stops, and making it the crown jewel of my body of work, so far. But it was going to require a considerable financial outlay up front. I had in mind using Brazilian RW back & sides, a mastergrade Sinker Redwood top, custom Alessi tuners, a Karura carbon fiber case... And I also wanted to commission some custom inlay work from Jimmi Wingert.
However, that whole idea proved untenable, because I couldn't justify draining my coffers on it at this time. Like most of us professional luthiers, I never seem to be more than a few inches from the edge of the cliff, financially.

So, onward to Plan B: That was, to build this new Siren Style S Multiscale as my Hail Mary # 99, which would then position Ken's Tree Mahogany/Tunnel 13 build as my Number 100. Who could balk at something like that! I mean, just having the opportunity to work with such splendid, legendary woods is cause for celebration. And furthermore, Ken has become a lifetime friend, patron, and advocate, and I can't imagine a more worthy and esteemed recipient for this milestone guitar.
I'm really pleased with the way this is all working out.
And I WILL build that other guitar I had in mind. It will happen in its own good time.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Default I must say,

The scope of your abilities is staggering and your honest and public appreciation of your peers is awesome.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:49 PM

Art and heart! Can't beat that combination.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:56 PM

Following on my post in the "Hatcher 16 - 2" thread. I think YOU may be the Larry Flint!

Nice!

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 05-08-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
The scope of your abilities is staggering and your honest and public appreciation of your peers is awesome.
+100

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Thank you, Marcus. Even though I'm a luthier, I have just as much G.A.S. as the next guy; and anyone who knows Joel Michaud and his guitars is fully aware that he has a rare and special set of talents. Not only is his craftsmanship already at Master-level, he also has incredible design skills. He's going to go far in this work- all the way to the top!

About the Number 100 guitar: I had planned on building that one as a spec instrument, pulling out all the stops, and making it the crown jewel of my body of work, so far. But it was going to require a considerable financial outlay up front. I had in mind using Brazilian RW back & sides, a mastergrade Sinker Redwood top, custom Alessi tuners, a Karura carbon fiber case... And I also wanted to commission some custom inlay work from Jimmi Wingert.
However, that whole idea proved untenable, because I couldn't justify draining my coffers on it at this time. Like most of us professional luthiers, I never seem to be more than a few inches from the edge of the cliff, financially.

So, onward to Plan B: That was, to build this new Siren Style S Multiscale as my Hail Mary # 99, which would then position Ken's Tree Mahogany/Tunnel 13 build as my Number 100. Who could balk at something like that! I mean, just having the opportunity to work with such splendid, legendary woods is cause for celebration. And furthermore, Ken has become a lifetime friend, patron, and advocate, and I can't imagine a more worthy and esteemed recipient for this milestone guitar.
I'm really pleased with the way this is all working out.
And I WILL build that other guitar I had in mind. It will happen in its own good time.
Well, with the praises you're singing of Joel, he oughta get a guitar into your hands

Mmmm plan A sounds really good, but I'm sure you're not complaining about plan B either are you haha that's the thing I love about a custom made acoustic guitar (apart from the fact that they play and sound awesome) - that the end product is not the end point, but you get to forge new relationships that play a big part in your life, be it with the luthier or fellow forum members.

So when does this baby start making music?

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 05-08-2016, 02:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
+100

Well, with the praises you're singing of Joel, he oughta get a guitar into your hands

Mmmm plan A sounds really good, but I'm sure you're not complaining about plan B either are you haha that's the thing I love about a custom made acoustic guitar (apart from the fact that they play and sound awesome) - that the end product is not the end point, but you get to forge new relationships that play a big part in your life, be it with the luthier or fellow forum members.

So when does this baby start making music?
If I had one of Joel's guitars in my hands, I doubt I would be getting ANY work done for the rest of this year.

I just finished flat-sanding the first round of lacquer coats; two more rounds of spraying/sanding to follow; then 3-4 weeks of cure time. And then comes the final assembly, fret work, nut and saddle, myriad other little details... I expect the first set of strings will grace this guitar in a month to five weeks. I've already had a couple of inquiries about the availability of this Siren, so I have a feeling it won't be hanging around here very long.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
If I had one of Joel's guitars in my hands, I doubt I would be getting ANY work done for the rest of this year.

I just finished flat-sanding the first round of lacquer coats; two more rounds of spraying/sanding to follow; then 3-4 weeks of cure time. And then comes the final assembly, fret work, nut and saddle, myriad other little details... I expect the first set of strings will grace this guitar in a month to five weeks. I've already had a couple of inquiries about the availability of this Siren, so I have a feeling it won't be hanging around here very long.
Well with all dem birds it can't help but fly away Andy and Buddy are great guys with great stuff, they make my custom emblems....I just love this guitar and I really love this forum. It's so great to be in a place where original individual imagination is encouraged along side more traditional styles and ideas. What you and others are doing here is truly art and your own original style really shines through....I hope you don't mind if I steal a motif idea off this, someday I'd like to make a bat guitar. Can't wait to see more of your work
Old 05-09-2016, 08:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
Well with all dem birds it can't help but fly away Andy and Buddy are great guys with great stuff, they make my custom emblems....I just love this guitar and I really love this forum. It's so great to be in a place where original individual imagination is encouraged along side more traditional styles and ideas. What you and others are doing here is truly art and your own original style really shines through....I hope you don't mind if I steal a motif idea off this, someday I'd like to make a bat guitar. Can't wait to see more of your work
Plus 1 on your comment about Andy and Buddy DePaule. And if you see something in my guitars that sparks your design sensibilities, feel free to riff on it. I've said often that I'm standing on the shoulders of giants- the pathfinders and innovators who made this modern golden of age lutherie possible for people like me to participate in. Inspiration comes from a multitude of sources, and I attribute a lot of what I'm doing to the very inspiring work I've seen by other people. Actually that would be a long list of names! So I'd be honored if you think highly enough of my work to take some inspiration from it. Thank you.

About three years ago, someone here on the Forum- I don't recall who- sent me a link to an eBay auction, for a Vietnam-built guitar that was like a carbon-copy of my Falcon model. Same body shape and cutaway, same Talon-style bridge shape, same headstock shape; the whole thing was clearly a direct imitation of my Falcon design. It looked fairly crude in its construction, and as I recall, it sold for less than $300US. But still, I was sort of tickled that someone on the other side of the world thought my Falcon was so cool, that they went to the trouble to copy it.
I certainly didn't feel threatened or infringed upon, because there was no claim that this copy was a genuine Edwinson Falcon; and I'm happy to let my own guitars speak for themselves, in the hands of the people who own and play them. No amount of hyperbole can make a guitar better (or worse) than it actually is.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
Wow, Steve...I'm shipwrecked!!!
This lovely Siren has an appeal that is hard to resist...the Brazilian Rosewood is flat out gorgeous! Are the back and side plates cut from the same board?

If I'm not mistaken, your Falcon is the twin brother to this Siren, isn't it? I distinctly remember playing your "Midnight Falcon" and being amazed that this little guitar could create such volume. I don't mean just being loud...but having a full range of sweet tones I'd have never expected from such a small-bodied guitar. If this guitar pushes beyond the tonal abilities of that Midnight Falcon,... I would love to see it (and play it) before she ships to her new family.

Let's see...
Over 150 hours...in under 14 days...
That's basically 12-hour-days for two weeks...

Joel
Joel, I can't believe I missed your highly literate reference about being shipwrecked.
I was talking to a man in the doctor's office lobby today, waiting for my mother to get an eye treatment, and that inevitable question came up: "So, what do you DO?" I said, "I'm a luthier."
"You're a WHAT?"
"I build guitars for a living."
"Oh. Cool."
And then I showed him some photos of this Siren on my iPad. He was obviously impressed, but he said "Siren? Why would you name it after that horrible cop car/ambulance sound? That's like an ice pick in the eardrum..."

So I explained to him about the Greek legend of Odysseus and his adventures, depicted in Homer's Odyssey... and encountering the Sirens on the small island of Anthamoessa, and how he instructed his ships crew to seal their ears with wax before they sailed past, lest the entrancing, bewitching songs of the SIRENS lure them to their deaths, crashing on the rocks...
And how Odysseus ordered his crewmen tie him to the ship's mast, and to not cut him loose under penalty of death until they had sailed well beyond the island of the Sirens; just so he could listen to the Siren song. Something no man had ever done, and lived to tell about it.

He said, "That's the coolest thing I ever heard!"

And I've been asked before: Why did I name this guitar model after that horrible, screeching, eardrum-piercing sound? Well, I didn't. I named it after the Sirens of Anthamoessa in Homer's Odyssey. Thanks, Joel, for making that "shipwrecked" reference!

Last edited by theEdwinson; 05-09-2016 at 07:50 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop