The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-28-2021, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Classical guitar under 1k

I recently almost bought a Martin classical(regret that I didn’t) and I’ve been looking at Yairi and others. I’d like to get something vintage but it doesn’t have to be, as well as I’d prefer ebony board and a slimmer than typical classical nut width. It’s mainly for practice and for recording softer folk and rock sounds. Any recommendations?
Old 12-28-2021, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

A typical "Classical" nut width is 52mm (2.01"). Some come in at 50mm but I'm not sure they 'qualify' as Classical. Anything under 52mm is labeled as a "Crossover", in most cases. That Crossover label, I have found, can be used for various combinations of measurements. .

But it's a start if you want something with a nut width <52mm. I can't comment on "vintage" since that's another term that means different things to different people. I can tell you that I've enjoyed a guitar from Cordoba that I bought and a few others I auditioned. They are not vintage by any means.

I currently have a Cervantes, with a 48mm nut; and a Kenny Hill New World Player with a 50mm but a scale of only 628mm (which I like).

There are a few makers of instruments with narrower nuts but because this is a fairly new phenomenon as best I could tell in my "research", I don't think you'll find any that are "vintage".

Maybe a Kremona but they are tough to find used it appears.

Edit: the Cervantes and K. Hill are >$1000
Various models of Cordoba and Kremona and <$1000
I'm sure there are a couple others but I'm drawing a blank

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics

Last edited by birdsong; 12-28-2021 at 02:35 PM. Reason: added info I forgot first time
Old 12-28-2021, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I loved my Alvarez-Yairi CY-116. I regret selling it.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:11 PM

I typically recommend either Yamaha or Cordoba for classicals under $1k.

Most nylon-strings that are built with nut-widths under 2 inches (~52mm) usually fall into the category of fusion guitars and will include electronics. Some may be 14-fretters as well.

Is that what you're looking for?

Cordoba actually has a Fusion line and you can find a good number of guitars under $1k. The Cordoba Fusion Orchestra CE Crossover is $900.

Yamaha's fusion line is the NTX series. The NTX3 got pushed up in price to $1050 due to all of the supply-chain problems. The NTX1 is $460.

I have not played fusion guitars by either Yamaha or Cordoba but I have played their traditional classical and flamenco guitars and found them to be very good value for the money.

Last edited by CoastStrings; 12-28-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Classical guitar under 1k

Cordoba does make a Parlor version of a classical that has a shorter 630mm scale and narrower 50mm nut in both mahogany (C9) and rosewood (C10). They can be purchased new for close to 1K, used for less.
Bradford Werner did a nice review of both:

https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.co...ssical-guitar/

https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.co...parlor-guitar/

Kenny Hill does make classical models in all wood models as well as with laminate bodies with a shorter 628mm ( and 615) scale and narrower 50mm nuts. I have an all wood player series with the 628/50 combination and like it very much. It is very comfortable and sounds good. I picked mine up used for less than 1K.

Many makers make shorter scale classical guitars with narrower nuts. Cordoba has Torres master copy made in California with a 640 scale and 51mm nut. It has a smaller body and is an amazing instrument. I have one of these as well and is a completely different instrument from the previously mentioned ones. At 4X the cost it should be.
Here is a good review of it:

https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.c...c.php?t=123104

Last edited by TRose; 12-28-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the recommendations. There’s just something about the older Martin, Guild and Yairi classical that’s drawing me in. I wish I could try them in person but that’s not gonna happen. I’m not 100% sure but some of them look visually like they might be narrower nuts but I’ll have to confirm with sellers. The full nut on my Lucero coupled with its full D profile make it pretty tough to get along with except for traditional classical playing. Plus it’s ladder braced and not super loud.

I’ll keep searching, but I have a feeling a ~$500 Yairi might be making its way to me at some point. Martins tend to be well over 1k.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

I’ve had an interest in an older Martin nylon string guitar as well. Some of the nut widths vary with the actual guitar. Scale length became progressively longer ( up until 1962 the G series had the 24.9, the C series had a 25.4 scale until around 1970 and the scale was made 26+ inches- which is a deal breaker for me) and so be aware. I personally have not played one that didn’t need a neck reset so there’s that too.
The Yairi scale lengths tend to be excessive for me but I’ve heard great things about their tone.
I’ve read some good things about the Guild classicals- particularly the higher numbers. I don’t know anything about their specs.
Good luck with your search.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

I've been looking for something similar as well, sort of an old beater classical that I can write with and that sort of thing. Been looking at Guild Mark guitars, Yamaha, as well as some of the Gibson C0/C1's and the vast array of MIJ guitars from the 70s. Leaning toward going with one of the MIJ's at this point, they can be found for under $300 pretty consistently and seem to hold up really well.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:20 PM

I bought my Lucida lg 777 an off brand made by predencio saez - a spainish
guitar company - very good for the money ,used they go very reasonably( about 3-4 hundred gently used ) - something to check out.

thou i bought mine new ( with no regrets ) I bought a decent case for it and upgraded the tuners with schallers ---
Old 12-30-2021, 11:24 AM

Default Classical guitar artical

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
I recently almost bought a Martin classical(regret that I didn’t) and I’ve been looking at Yairi and others. I’d like to get something vintage but it doesn’t have to be, as well as I’d prefer ebony board and a slimmer than typical classical nut width. It’s mainly for practice and for recording softer folk and rock sounds. Any recommendations?
Hi there! I just find a great artical about classical guitar u can translet the page hope it will be helpful for your choice
Old 12-30-2021, 06:02 PM

Really enjoy the Yairi CY135 I recently purchased, encourage you to consider.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

I’ve been eyeing a Yairi cy90 I believe. On reverb and the seller says it has solid mahogany sides and back. Looks like a good buy. It’d either be that or a Guild mark iii. I’ve read that some of the older Guilds have slimmer neck profiles but I have no way to confirm.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:17 PM

The Alvarez 136 is a nice guitar and the Hirade Md8 , anything before 1990
Old 01-03-2022, 06:22 PM

I had a Hirade 5 (cedar top), and an 8 as well. I liked the 5, which was made in the late 70s IIRC, better. Another one probably in the OP's price range
are the Horabe line; I think they went model 30 - 40- 50, the last one being
spruce, all w/ laminated sides. I didn't own one, but played and worked on
a few, and they were nice guitars. One nice thing about all these mentioned
is that they had relatively slim necks, more suited to their domestic market
I think.

I'm pretty sure the Yairi CY series all had laminated B/S, but not 100% sure.
They were well-made guitars of good materials.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:46 PM

I'm pretty sure the Yairi CY series all had laminated B/S, but not 100% sure.

Nothing wrong with laminated sides and back. The Hirade Md5 and 8 we mentioned all had laminated sides. Many will disagree, but I drilled many sound ports in both...they are laminated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical