The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-14-2024, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Will that mixer give you a separate monitor mix? I looked at it and it looked like it would be simple to operate. I definitely want a separate monitor mix for a powered wedge of my in ears.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcrawford View Post
Will that mixer give you a separate monitor mix? I looked at it and it looked like it would be simple to operate. I definitely want a separate monitor mix for a powered wedge of my in ears.
Yes, we run a 1/4" cord from the AUX out into a QSC 10 for our monitor and each channel has an AUX control so you can set exactly how you like your mix to your monitor
Old 02-15-2024, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I will report back when I am through with my rig mods. I decided to go with another lighter powered mixer (Peavy XR-S). I know this is probably not the best way, but after thinking about my rig, weight is more important to me than cables. The mixer I got was recommended to me by a friend who is in the music retail business and loans them out to acts. He is also a peroHe says it has more "real" power than the Mackie and it is half the weight. It has on board effects and the ability to switch to Powered speakers...which I will not use. The only other thing I may do it get higher quality speakers.....but I will wait and see what this rig sounds like. I know the tower would probably be better for me, but I am so used to performing with with knobs at my disposal, and nothing I have will weigh more than 26 lbs. If I don't like it, I can send it back. We all read horror stories about powered mixers, but I have used two over the last 20 years and have had to make few repairs. Passive speakers are lighter....anywho, that is my story...and for now, I am sticking to it.

I would like to ask those who know more about speakers than I do, what are the best passive 10s for acoustic guitar/vocal? I am not going to spend 1000.00 on a speaker so keep that in mind. I have no idea what speakers would go best with this unit.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Update...I got the Peavy XR-S unit in yesterday and set it up here at the house. I have a gig today so we'll see, but I have to admit I am impressed. First of all, my buddy was right...the power ratings on these mixers can be confusing to those not in the sound/PA business. What I can tell you is that the lighter Peavy unit has waaaaay more power than the older Mackie 808s. Thank goodness, to my surprise, the onboard effects are actually pretty good. Reverbs sound good, every bit as good as the Mackie effects and they are good. There is also some type of effect on this mixer called Kosmos...seems to jack up the low end...but not exactly....anyway, I turned it off or all the way down, and I have to say I like it better with it in its halfway setting. I use a Beta 87A with Phantom and I am not sure that I would not be better off using my Audix OM3, because it took some work to tame the high end. The EQ (9 bands) is very much like my Mackie. I have to cut everything from 1K up slightly. Another cool feature of this little rig is that you can use powered speakers if you want to. There is a non-powered main out, and of course the same for monitors.

So yes, I am a dinosaur, but this thing weighs less than half what the Mackie does. That is sweet. We'll see how it holds up over the spring and summer.

I do have a question for you sound guys and gals who are more up to speed than me. Do you think a better set of non-powered speakers would make a positive difference? I was thinking of getting two powered speakers but decided against it. Just don't want to have to plug something else up. What do you think about a new set of 10s to go with this unit? How much difference do you think it would make?
Old 02-17-2024, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Update...I got the Peavy XR-S unit in yesterday and set it up here at the house. I have a gig today so we'll see, but I have to admit I am impressed. First of all, my buddy was right...the power ratings on these mixers can be confusing to those not in the sound/PA business. What I can tell you is that the lighter Peavy unit has waaaaay more power than the older Mackie 808s. Thank goodness, to my surprise, the onboard effects are actually pretty good. Reverbs sound good, every bit as good as the Mackie effects and they are good. There is also some type of effect on this mixer called Kosmos...seems to jack up the low end...but not exactly....anyway, I turned it off or all the way down, and I have to say I like it better with it in its halfway setting. I use a Beta 87A with Phantom and I am not sure that I would not be better off using my Audix OM3, because it took some work to tame the high end. The EQ (9 bands) is very much like my Mackie. I have to cut everything from 1K up slightly. Another cool feature of this little rig is that you can use powered speakers if you want to. There is a non-powered main out, and of course the same for monitors.

So yes, I am a dinosaur, but this thing weighs less than half what the Mackie does. That is sweet. We'll see how it holds up over the spring and summer.

I do have a question for you sound guys and gals who are more up to speed than me. Do you think a better set of non-powered speakers would make a positive difference? I was thinking of getting two powered speakers but decided against it. Just don't want to have to plug something else up. What do you think about a new set of 10s to go with this unit? How much difference do you think it would make?

If it was me, I’d go with https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...assive-speaker

Yamaha always reliable, solid stuff
Old 02-17-2024, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

I am not sure that would be an upgrade from my Iamcie CS200s. They look very similar in their specs. I was wondering about these https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-speaker-white

not necessarily white, but the model. Looks like power handling is more. The QSC stuff is heavy and I think a bit too much for me.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am not sure that would be an upgrade from my Iamcie CS200s. They look very similar in their specs. I was wondering about these https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-speaker-white

not necessarily white, but the model. Looks like power handling is more. The QSC stuff is heavy and I think a bit too much for me.

Those are nice as well. Cant go wrong with EV. Heck, I own the Evolve 50 and love it
Old 02-18-2024, 10:42 AM

Quote:
The powered mixer always made sense to me because I could run power to one place...near me and be done. The Evolve 50m does that, but I am going to have to hear one in person before I buy one.
Am I missing something?

The Ev50 and the Ev50m aren’t passive or battery powered. Power will need to be supplied to both mixer and speaker(s).
Old 02-18-2024, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Yes, you are missing something. I did not get the EV50. I went with a new powered mixer and two PA speakers. I am possibly going to upgrade my two speakers and I am trying to research which ones would be the best for the money. The EV passive 10s are affordable and if they are a definite improvement over my two old Mackie CS200s (10s) then I might pick them up.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:02 AM

I did understand your original question, just not that last post.

Possibly now just for others - if your heart is set on 10” speakers then carry on but if you’re still flexible then don’t discount the old EX sx300 passives. I may have previously mentioned that I used to drive two of them with the Mackie 808s and it was a fantastic combination. They are so cut-back that they are actually smaller than some 10” boxes.

Good luck with the (always) ongoing quest.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM

Smile

If it's in your budget, I'd definitely go with the sub/tower combos like the Evolve 50m ones you mentioned. Definitely get the overhead for any sized venue, and, besides, lugging around extra poles and having a separate subs for the low end is just such a real pain to haul!
Old 02-18-2024, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

I will check them out.

I will not be getting a sub. I think that my first post may have been misleading. One of the reasons that I did not get the Evolve 50m was because of the weight. The new Peavy Mixer that I bought is less than 15 lbs. The Mackie 808s was about 50lbs. It is now my backup. The Peavy sounds better to my ears and seems waaaaay more powerful. My speakers weigh in at around 26lbs, so there is nothing in my rig more than 26 lbs. I am more comfortable with this type of system....mier is always close by and I can grab knobs if I need to.

Now, I am wondering if a different set of speakers will sound even better. However, they must be less than 35lbs, and honestly, closer to 30. "Light to Fight"
Old 02-18-2024, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

You might want to check out the 12" version of the Yamaha CBR speakers, as they should have a bigger sound and they still only weigh 30 pounds.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Hey Shuffelbeat, I see a pair on sale for like 400 bucks. They look like they have been through the war but maybe they hold up. I see they are much lighter than I thought they were. Is this the speaker you are talking about?

https://reverb.com/item/68998313-ele...BoCv7UQAvD_BwE
Old 02-18-2024, 08:46 PM

Quote:
…Is this the speaker you are talking about?

https://reverb.com/item/68998313-ele...BoCv7UQAvD_BwE
That’s the one.

I’ve seen better deals than that but that might be a geographic issue, also possibly the opportunity for spectacular bargains may have passed as the novelty of powered speakers wears off. Personally I still use powered Yamahas but I still see the value in having all my power requirement in one place and the capacity to fix my own speakers rather than discard and replace an entire amp-board when a class-D amp packs up - often at the cost of an entire new speaker, if one can even be sourced.

Anyway, the sx300 is light and sounds good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification