The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-08-2024, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

I don’t know anything about some of the ones you mentioned, but I have owned a Taylor 114e for 15 years and it is rock solid. Excellent pickup system too.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:46 PM

What kind of player is your pastor? Might they have an opinion or preference? Are they someone who just can't work with certain specs (nut width, scale length, string spacing, etc.)?

There are lots of threads here about buying a guitar for someone else, and the best advice is to let them pick it out.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 04-08-2024, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
What kind of player is your pastor? Might they have an opinion or preference? Are they someone who just can't work with certain specs (nut width, scale length, string spacing, etc.)?

There are lots of threads here about buying a guitar for someone else, and the best advice is to let them pick it out.
Yeah, I'd certainly be that way. But in this case a surprise gift is best because he probably wouldn't let me buy it for him any other way. And he's not picky. He'll love anything I get him.

And it's interesting because I have to keep reminding myself it's for HIM, not me. Many of the features are somewhat opposite of what I'd choose. I'd like a little bling, he wouldn't. I don't want a barn door, he would. Passive pickup is OK for me because I have a pedalboard, he doesn't. I think the Yamaha AR series checks a lot of boxes.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 04-08-2024, 01:30 PM

An eleven-year-old boy at my church: his parents just bought him his first guitar. It's a grand auditorium style guitar called Kepma. I think they paid around $600 for it. It's the first one I have ever seen. I think it's made in China. It plays extremely well and sounds very nice. It's a good-looker to boot. I am very impressed with the bang-for-buck value. They ordered it with a nice Gator soft case. It has a pickup, but I don't know what kind. I think it's proprietary to the manufacturer. It hasn't been plugged in yet. The frets have been plek'd. Set-up is excellent. I played it last night. I can highly recommend it. Not just for beginners either. I just wish the old Yamaha I started on as a teenager had been this nice. Kids these days. They don't know how good they have it with all the incredible options that now exist. I think something like that would serve your pastor well. Also, I commend you for taking care of your pastor this way. It's a great way to let him be counted worthy of double honor.
Old 04-08-2024, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
...This guitar won't be taken care of with mittens; it will be used and left out and probably banged around occasionally. It's utility. No bling. I think a gloss finish would do better at protecting the guitar. Absolutely needs a simple pickup, likely UST...

I'd appreciate any suggestions...
Speaking as one in a similar position as we speak, have you considered an Ovation: entry-level models start around $400, they're known for their roadworthy durability (the laminated-top models even more so), and the built-in electronics are simple and reliable - something like this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...neyburst-satin
Old 04-08-2024, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Buying someone else a guitar is IMHO a very bad idea.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-08-2024, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
I don’t know anything about some of the ones you mentioned, but I have owned a Taylor 114e for 15 years and it is rock solid. Excellent pickup system too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Buying someone else a guitar is IMHO a very bad idea.
The 114e that I mentioned above is not what I wanted, but it was a gift from my Dad. It is everything I said it is, and very road worthy as a simple but good player, but I would have chosen something different if I had picked it out.
Old 04-08-2024, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

I have a Cort like this and it is fantastic...
these fly under the radar....not sure why....but I love mine...
My local GC was clearing this model out, and I got mine for $239
The neck feels like a round C, description says a V....not sure about that

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Cort/SF...SABEgISTfD_BwE
Old 04-09-2024, 04:54 AM

Do you have access to a music store where he could try things out? Maybe get him a gift certificate to that store for him to purchase the exact instrument he wants.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

I would think a Yamaha would be perfect for a worship guitar. They are tough and can take environmental changes without getting wonky. I drug Yamahas all over the world when I was in the Army and never had an issue with them. They rarely got any care or cleaning as I didn’t have room to drag a bunch of stuff with me.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

I'm sorry but a Yamaha 800 is for beginners not people who already know how to play.

My advice is find others who are willing to add to the pot and get him a good guitar. But there are tons of used Guilds and Martins in your price range on reverb and else where.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
Yeah you make good points. Every church is different. More affluent churches would just buy one without hesitation. This one is more financially conservative. Maybe the way to look at it is we try to be "content" with what we have. I've just become sensitive to this since his guitar has been in my workshop a couple times and it just needs to be "retired". Another guitar guy is going in with me, so whatever we do will be split. So $600-700 split isn't too bad.
I totally get it, man! Sure, your pastor is probably completely content with what he has, thankful even. Your ears know what sounds better, and your hands understand what plays better. These, plus your generous heart spurs you to buy him a guitar. To these points, I say go for it! Your generosity and selflessness are admirable ...kudos to you, man!

Edward
Old 04-09-2024, 11:24 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Or, you know, the pastor could think that the $600-$700 is better spent on feeding/clothing local kids in families that are struggling. A guitar is just a guitar. Musical worship has little to do with how the instrument sounds. It's about the spirit and community of those in attendance. In fact, you don't really even need an instrument to worship with song.

How many meals can $600 provide?

If I were the pastor, while I would want to appreciate the sentiment, I would struggle with the fact that the money was used on something like that, instead of addressing real needs in the community. But hey, that's just me.

It would be different if someone simply offered an 'extra' guitar that they have, versus spending money directly on a gift for the pastor. It might not be as well-received as the OP hopes... but what do I know? I don't know the guy or the situation at the church or in the community.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
Or, you know, the pastor could think that the $600-$700 is better spent on feeding/clothing local kids in families that are struggling. A guitar is just a guitar. Musical worship has little to do with how the instrument sounds. It's about the spirit and community of those in attendance. In fact, you don't really even need an instrument to worship with song.

How many meals can $600 provide?

If I were the pastor, while I would want to appreciate the sentiment, I would struggle with the fact that the money was used on something like that, instead of addressing real needs in the community. But hey, that's just me.

It would be different if someone simply offered an 'extra' guitar that they have, versus spending money directly on a gift for the pastor. It might not be as well-received as the OP hopes... but what do I know? I don't know the guy or the situation at the church or in the community.
True true. I have considered this. Problem is the guitar he has isn't working. I've fixed it a few times. He needs something. I thought about giving him my $400 camping guitar, it plays and sounds great but because of it's value I don't mind taking it camping, cold, hot, weather, etc. But if I did that, I'd turn around and buy another something similar.

I appreciate the sentiments, your heart is in the right place.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 04-09-2024, 07:17 PM

So my buddy and I just purchased a 2014 Taylor 214ce DLX for $725 (we split it). Excellent shape, no scratches at all. Action is high, I will bring that down. The case needs a drawbolt fixed and is a bit beat-up so I'll see what I can do on that end. It's interesting the guitar is in such great shape and the case is not, but of the two I'd rather have that.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
'21 Gretsch 5622

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion