The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-21-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
This has been a real joy to follow. The guitar looks fantastic! I hope you can post a sound clip at some point. It must me amazing to play that guitar, knowing you crafted it with your own hands. What a great experience! Thanks for sharing the journey. It makes me want to find something similar around here.
Thank you very much mikealpine, I'll wait until I can find someone with more talent to really bring it out to its full potential. I don't consider myself to be a good guitarist, but my playing accompanies my singing quiet well. That may be a starting point for you. I'll upload a video I did this afternoon to YouTube shortly. It's nothing special, but I hope it will hold you over until I can do a better video.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 09-21-2018, 06:57 AM

Alright, I've got another video uploading to YouTube to share with you but for now, here is the first song sung with my new baby. Apologies for the sound quality, this was recorded using my phone.
This is my cover of Dan Seals "One Friend"

Last edited by Zandit75; 04-01-2020 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:00 AM

That looks absolutely fantastic, it's hard to believe you could even accomplish that in such a short time. Wow.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:00 AM

The internet is being kind to me tonight. This video uploaded very quickly.
Apologies again for the sound quality, also recorded on my phone, but also apologies for the poor performance!!
This is a snippet of Richard Marx's "Now and Forever"

Last edited by Zandit75; 04-01-2020 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
That looks absolutely fantastic, it's hard to believe you could even accomplish that in such a short time. Wow.
Thank you very much Tom. Perhaps it's time for you to do something similar??!!!
Old 09-21-2018, 07:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Incredible. Up and playing with videos. You did it! What a great feeling of accomplishment. Thanks for letting us all live vicariously through this thread. Nice playing and singing too!

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 09-21-2018, 07:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Wow, a hurculean effort, paying off in tremendous dividends. We can all say, "Dan is the Man!" Like Tom, I think the cutaway is particularly well done, and quite a feat for a first guitar! I need to get down to Tasmania and breathe some of that air...
Kudos,
Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 09-21-2018, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

After being on a vacation break, I have been catching up with various threads here. How cool to follow this one and see the whole process that you went through. Congratulations on a fine guitar. It is really beautiful. No wonder you feel such satisfaction. I hope you enjoy it for years to come. Thanks for letting us in on the journey.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-21-2018, 10:07 AM

Congratulations on your build. There's nothing like playing a guitar you have made yourself - especially when it looks and sounds like this. Great job.

Thumbs up on the video

YouTube
Old 09-21-2018, 03:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Congratulations Dan...
I’ll bet that you’re already thinking about a second build
🤔😲🤭

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 09-21-2018, 09:26 PM

You built a beautiful guitar there, Dan. It sounds very nice too - very balanced, clean, and - as best I can tell from a phone video - rich sounding. That's pretty astounding for a first guitar. What an experience, and what fun to follow it! Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Thanks Col, for following along, and your continued encouragement!
One correction to your comment though, it's not Tassie Blackwood, just Australian Blackwood. This particular set apparently came from Victoria.
Thanks, I didn't know the mainland stuff was used in in guitars, but in thinking about it of course it will be. I bought my set in Devonport; maybe a I could have saved myself a trip!

The guitar sounds really great on the clips. I suspect it is going to get a lot of playing in coming weeks
Old 09-22-2018, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Incredible. Up and playing with videos. You did it! What a great feeling of accomplishment. Thanks for letting us all live vicariously through this thread. Nice playing and singing too!
Thank you very much Ryan, Consider this a little payback for all the times I've avidly crawled through everyone's builds here.

The singing is paying its own dues, I currently have a song sitting at #4 on the Tassie independent country music charts, my cover version of another Dan Seals song called "Everything That Glitters". It might be time to record my first album with this guitar front and center on the cover!!
Old 09-22-2018, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Wow, a hurculean effort, paying off in tremendous dividends. We can all say, "Dan is the Man!" Like Tom, I think the cutaway is particularly well done, and quite a feat for a first guitar! I need to get down to Tasmania and breathe some of that air...
Kudos,
Steve
Thank you very much Steve, that means a lot coming from such an accomplished builder as yourself.
You're more than welcome to visit Tasmania, but be warned, you may not want to leave!!
Old 09-22-2018, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
After being on a vacation break, I have been catching up with various threads here. How cool to follow this one and see the whole process that you went through. Congratulations on a fine guitar. It is really beautiful. No wonder you feel such satisfaction. I hope you enjoy it for years to come. Thanks for letting us in on the journey.

Best,
Jayne
You're most welcome Jayne, it's been one heck of a pleasure!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop