The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-08-2018, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Default NUGD - X7

Two months ago I'd never heard of carbon fiber guitars. A month ago I bought an Emerald X20 and fell pretty much instantly in love with it. I've generally had a primary acoustic and a parlor sized acoustic and getting the X20 and selling the Martin 000 I had before the X20 left me with a dilemma about how to handle the "parlor" part of the equation.

I've had both really REALLY cheap laminated parlor models and semi-nice solid wood parlors and the problem is the really cheap laminate parlors sound about like you'd expect and the semi-nice solid wood parlors need basically as much humidity management as the Martin did, which wasn't gonna happen. I kind of figured I'd just play a really cheap parlor until I saved enough to get an X7 in a year or so.

But the more I read about the new X7s and the previous generation X7s, the more I thought I'd rather have "last year's girl" than the new one. The consensus seems to be that the new one is a fuller, richer sounding guitar but that's it's also a less comfortable instrument to play as a parlor guitar than the earlier version. The new one is significantly wider, deeper, and more expensive and it seems like it might be a good alternative to an X20 but that the older one would be a better compliment to the X20 for my purposes.

They're not making any more of the older X7s and they don't seem to show up used very often, so when Dhart (who I've sort of known on various photography and guitar forums for several years now) offered to sell me his year(ish) old X7 for a price I could afford now, I thought about it for a while and decided to go for it. He said it was in mint condition and I knew it would be.

I picked it up from UPS first thing this morning and have played it a few hours already. It's perfect for my needs. I love the form factor. It's perfect for sitting on the couch or in a more relaxed chair and fine sitting on my guitar stool as well. Playing it back to back with the X20 it's clearly a much quieter and less dynamic sounding guitar, but as is usually the case with parlor guitars, it'll never sound great in comparison to a full size guitar, but once you just play it on it's own for a while and stop comparing it to non-comparable instruments, it comes into it's own, sounds like IT'S supposed to sound, and starts revealing it's charms. That's very much the case with this one - it sounds great for a tiny guitar.

A couple of things worth noting. The neck is actually a bit chunkier than the neck on the X20. I like the X20 neck just fine, but I like this slightly fatter neck on the X7 even more. The headstock on this X7 is unimaginably tiny. And there's no room in the soundhole for any sort of tuner - I guess there would be if I took the electronics out, which I may do someday because I really only need one acoustic with a pickup. So far, my best option for a tuner is the little D'Addario clip-on stuck to the little bit of exposed headstock near the D-string tuner. It's not elegant but it's secure and visible! and isn't in the way when I hang the guitar in a wall-hanger.

0 by Ray, on Flickr

You've seen this guitar before, posing in the Arizona desert, but here are a couple of the Emerald "glamour" shots and one of the two siblings together (with just enough light and photographic trickery to sort of show their colors). As with the red X20, this amber X7 is nearly black to the naked eye from across the room...

untitled-7-2 by Ray, on Flickr

untitled-13-2 by Ray, on Flickr

untitled-2-2-Edit by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 10-08-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:14 PM

Nice! Good looking family you have started there! At this rate of purchase ... by the end of the year..WOW!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-08-2018, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Nice! Good looking family you have started there! At this rate of purchase ... by the end of the year..WOW!
I think it's time for a vasectomy! Since I got really heavily back into playing in the past couple of years, I've been through a number of electrics finding the right mix for what I like these days. But I've settled on three and haven't had any second thoughts or GAS for several months on those. I thought I was settled on acoustics too until I found out about carbon fiber. Once I got the X20, what to do about a small parlor sized guitar was the only question. With that solved, I think the family is complete. I was a one acoustic / one electric guy for about 40 years - going from 2 to 5 feels like a LOT. I have room to hang one more guitar in my man-cave, but I don't want anything else. I could probably consolidate the electrics down to two, but it would cost more to do than just to keep the three I've got, so I'm sitting tight.

You're a bit of an inspiration, but I don't aspire to a collection like yours. Just a little bit of variety...
Old 10-08-2018, 01:54 PM

Congrats! We have an X7 and an X20, and I agree with your description of tone - X7 is lovely on its own, but the X20 is just.... more. Louder and richer. A nice alternative, but not a replacement.

So you now have amber and red. You are obviously missing a green X30 to complete the coveted "traffic light" series.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Congrats! We have an X7 and an X20, and I agree with your description of tone - X7 is lovely on its own, but the X20 is just.... more. Louder and richer. A nice alternative, but not a replacement.

So you now have amber and red. You are obviously missing a green X30 to complete the coveted "traffic light" series.
I think that particular green light might be my wife saying "GO!"...

As loud and resonant as the X20 is, I don't really want for anything bigger sounding. Or bigger feeling - when I play a dread these days they feel HUGE. The X20 has enough softened edges and shapes to get around that feeling of a big guitar, but the X30 is just plain big! And somehow, the red and amber look enough like colors you see on wood guitars that they don't feel too alien. I'm sure I'd be fine with black too, but I don't really see a blue or green guitar in my future...
Old 10-08-2018, 02:57 PM
Guest 928

Seems like there should be a ukulele in there somewhere--there's always room for a uke and it adds flavor to the mix. None of us will ever catch up with nehew K, but that's no reason to run out of gas. The uke/harp is particularly unique.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I think it's time for a vasectomy!
Oh no...now we are cutting on body parts to stop the GAS ! LOL
I love the "Traffic Light" series quote.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Seems like there should be a ukulele in there somewhere--there's always room for a uke and it adds flavor to the mix. None of us will ever catch up with nehew K, but that's no reason to run out of gas. The uke/harp is particularly unique.
I wouldn’t have a clue what to do with a uke or a harp, let alone a combined uke/harp. I’m not into 12 strings or 7 strings or baritones or fanned frets either. I’m a limited six-string player who has enough of a job just getting music out of basic guitars. I’m just about a month into learning to fingerpick and it’s just now starting to be fun instead of just frustration. So I’m good with a very basic set of tools...

But nice try!
Old 10-08-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I think it's time for a vasectomy! .

No cord or chord cutting...well maybe a G Flat 9th Double suspended sharp 13th ... but that's it!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-08-2018, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Oh no...now we are cutting on body parts to stop the GAS ! LOL
I love the "Traffic Light" series quote.
Well, OK, a metaphorical vasectomy. The actual snippage happened a loooong time ago...
Old 10-08-2018, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the X10/X7 duo! I have to agree with you: the two really compliment each other.

I struggle with "which one to take" when we're traveling in our motorhome. They both get plenty of playing time when we're home.

Your two look very nice together.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Congrats on the X10/X7 duo! I have to agree with you: the two really compliment each other.

I struggle with "which one to take" when we're traveling in our motorhome. They both get plenty of playing time when we're home.

Your two look very nice together.
X10 was a typo, no? I have the X20 and X7. I think you may have X10s on the brain...

They seem to be getting along well. The X20 shot a sideways glance at the X7 when I first put them together. No problems since, though. May be a different story when we take off for the winter and leave one of them behind. Now that humidity and temperature aren't issues, I'm gonna be stress free about that. But the one that get's left behind? Who knows....
Old 10-08-2018, 06:00 PM
Guest 928

Oh Ray! Don't let your limitations limit you. Have a drink, sit down with a uke/harp, pick and strum and you will find yourself totally entranced--you will make music like you've never heard. You will amaze yourself. Rust never sleeps, don't be denied.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
X10 was a typo, no? I have the X20 and X7. I think you may have X10s on the brain...

They seem to be getting along well. The X20 shot a sideways glance at the X7 when I first put them together. No problems since, though. May be a different story when we take off for the winter and leave one of them behind. Now that humidity and temperature aren't issues, I'm gonna be stress free about that. But the one that get's left behind? Who knows....
Yes, Ray, you are right: should have been X20/X7. While I do have the X10 on my mind, I'm going blame my fat fingers.

I know the angst of which to take. There is certainly room in our motorhome for the X20, but the X7 is just so comfortable and easy. On the bright side: you have two great, but sonically and size-wise, different guitars. Congrats, again!
Old 10-09-2018, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Oh Ray! Don't let your limitations limit you. Have a drink, sit down with a uke/harp, pick and strum and you will find yourself totally entranced--you will make music like you've never heard. You will amaze yourself. Rust never sleeps, don't be denied.
Six strings, 20 frets, standard tuning. Still an enormous world of opportunities and challenges for me. I have very very little musical talent so I'm in no danger of mastering any of it. But I do get better and have a lot of fun. I have three electrics because they all sound different and play somewhat differently. Two acoustics mostly because one feels and sounds big and one feels and sounds little. But they all have the same notes in the same places and that's enough to keep me plenty busy for the rest of my life.

Keeping the rust at bay and not feeling at all denied! Two of my favorite Neil songs - how did you know? Both sound about as good on an Emerald as on a Martin!

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 10-09-2018 at 05:18 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber