The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-06-2018, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Default A pick question...

Picks. For us strummer guys, the pick matters. I've been happily using "upscale" picks like the Gravity Gold Series and Charmed Life Picks black, brown, natural, and red offerings.

This morning while perusing Facebook, there was a post from Thalia (known for their capos) about rosewood laminated picks... saying that these give "a warm tone." I haven't tried them... just wondering if anyone here has?

Just thinking how ironic it would be if a wood pick used with a carbon fiber guitar gives a good tone!

https://www.thaliacapos.com/collecti...nt=49912346063

Old 10-06-2018, 09:04 AM

Do these picks required temp and humidity monitoring ?
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 10-06-2018, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Some time ago, all the music, guitar shops were flooded with a brand of wooden picks.

Looked like a gimmick to me, and confess I prejudged as I can't imagine them transmitting any decent sound.

Here is a video by someone else "testing" them.

Be your own judge.

I've judged and they aren't for me.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Hey, SM - nice to see you on this CF forum! Thanks for the link. Those picks are thicker than the Thalia offerings and look to be made from solid pieces of wood. No idea if that would make any difference.

How are you doing these days?

As an aside: a few years ago, I tried some carbon fiber picks... didn't care for the tone and they left CF dust on the strings.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

I have a whole bunch of them - they were my preferred pick for about a year. I ordered a Thalia capo and they sent along samples of the picks - didn't love the capo but did love the picks for quite a while.

They're darker than most. For reference I have one Blue Chip 35, a casein Fast Turtle, a number of Primetones, and a lot of Dava grip picks. The Dava gels are closest to the Thalia picks. The Fast Turtle is a bit brighter, and the Blue Chip and Prime Tone are notably brighter. I like dark - with brighter strings I basically always played the Thalia or Dava gels to mellow it out a bit. I recently started playing Martin Retro monels on my X20, which are considerably less bright than the Nanoweb PBs I was playing initially (which are less bright than the Nanoweb 80/20s Emerald strung it with). With the Monels I really like the Blue Chip and Primetones best. With brighter strings, I'd probably be playing the Dava gel or Thalias.

They don't come with a bevel, but a half hour of playing pretty well creates the custom bevel you need based on how you play. These picks wear out, but not so fast that it becomes an issue, at least in my case.

If you want to try them, I've got way more than I'll ever use. Send me a PM with a mailing address and I'll send you a few .9 and 1.4s to try. Let me know if you like normal or jazz size - I've got some of both. None of the bigger triangle picks though.

-Ray
Old 10-06-2018, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Kind offer, Ray - thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber