The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-09-2018, 08:09 AM

Default Carbon Fiber the Only Way to Fly

I have never trusted cargo holds in planes. There is a lot of wrong information on the internet. So how do you think your wood guitar would do there? Not so good in my opinion.

Some think you sacrifice a lot with carbon fiber and with the smaller travel sized guitars. I don't believe this to be true anymore. The materials and designs have improved significantly and will only get better.

I have traveled with my Shorty FLE and even if I have to gate check it, at least I don't have to worry about it cracking. The Peavey Cargo has been a joy as it fits so easily above the seats.

I have been flying back and forth to Boston every 3 months to take care of my mother for 8 years. So incredibly grateful for the carbon fiber world of guitars!

Happy Playing!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 09-09-2018, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

As I mentioned in your other, similar thread, how well a wooden guitar fares in the cargo hold of an airplane depends on many factors. Most importantly, it matters which cargo compartment the guitar goes in. Most modern jet airliners have at least one bin that is temperature- and pressure-controlled. The other areas are not nearly as regulated. So, it is very hard to make a broad generalization that a wood guitar will do well or it will do poorly. There are too many factors at work.

Glad you're happy with carbon fiber. That should certainly ease your concerns.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
As I mentioned in your other, similar thread, how well a wooden guitar fares in the cargo hold of an airplane depends on many factors. Most importantly, it matters which cargo compartment the guitar goes in. Most modern jet airliners have at least one bin that is temperature- and pressure-controlled. The other areas are not nearly as regulated. So, it is very hard to make a broad generalization that a wood guitar will do well or it will do poorly. There are too many factors at work.

Glad you're happy with carbon fiber. That should certainly ease your concerns.
Kerbie thanks for your feedback on the other thread. I can tell you that when I used to check my guitar to the cargo area, it was freezing cold when I received it. This is when I thought I best not check them any more.

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 09-09-2018, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
I can tell you that when I used to check my guitar to the cargo area, it was freezing cold when I received it. This is when I thought I best not check them any more.
Oh yes, that tells you which bin the guitar went in. It can get below freezing in an unregulated bin.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:36 AM

I don't understand how you carry-on a guitar. They have those test boxes that carry-on items are supposed to fit in.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I don't understand how you carry-on a guitar. They have those test boxes that carry-on items are supposed to fit in.
They are more accepting ever since that video "United Breaks Guitars".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=5YGc4zOqozo
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-09-2018, 11:16 AM

Default There is a law for this

Quote:

https://www.transportation.gov/brief...travel-musical

I’ve seen YouTube videos but never tested it myself.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Same way a majority of roller bags get on. Almost nobody had a 22x14x9 inch bag anymore. Guitars are a bit bigger, but almost nobody complies with FAA limits. Good news is, most airlines use jets with large overhead bins that can accommodate larger bags, so they let it go. Only the small regional jet flights need to strictly enforce the FAA carry-on bag size rules.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
I have never trusted cargo holds in planes. There is a lot of wrong information on the internet. So how do you think your wood guitar would do there? Not so good in my opinion.

Some think you sacrifice a lot with carbon fiber and with the smaller travel sized guitars. I don't believe this to be true anymore. The materials and designs have improved significantly and will only get better.

I have traveled with my Shorty FLE and even if I have to gate check it, at least I don't have to worry about it cracking. The Peavey Cargo has been a joy as it fits so easily above the seats.

I have been flying back and forth to Boston every 3 months to take care of my mother for 8 years. So incredibly grateful for the carbon fiber world of guitars!

Happy Playing!
I just took a position that will require quite a bit of travel...enough that I knew I'd have to get a new traveling companion. I defintely came to the decision to go Carbon Fiber early on in the search process. Of the wood travel sized guitars the Taylor GS Mini had my vote. I really leaned towards going with a Journey Instruments OF660M and a local shop was kind enough to get one in to try. The guitar sounded better than anticipated, the key feature of the removable neck and backpack case was really cool, but the guitar had awfully high action towards the higher frets (where I do spend sometime...Thanks Tim Reynolds!). That coupled with finishing flaws and the price tag convinced me to spend more and go with the new Emerald x7 Artisan.

Questions on flying with the guitar...
Don't you feel a bit 'guilty' taking up two or three spots with the guitar? No judging here, but I think I might feel a twinge of guilt as some people don't travel well and the added stress of a guitar taking up a spot may make someone else's day a bit worse (or a couple people).

The x7 comes with a gig bag and while it is sturdy and will be in use when driving, I am concerned taking a ~$2k guitar on without a hard case...plus Airlines will only get involved with replacement/repair if the guitar is in a hardshell case that also has been damaged. Anyone with a newer x7 that can recommend a hardshell case that would work? My main plan is to have it as my 'carry-on' but with the likelihood that I'll gate-check the guitar.

Kevin from Emerald linked to a GS Mini TSA flightcase that he said may do the trick...anyone tried one on the x7? To Kevin's credit, spec-wise it looks like it should work...just looking for confirmation from someone who has tried this combo.

Anyone gate check a CF guitar with just a gigbag?

Last edited by showmeproof; 09-09-2018 at 01:20 PM. Reason: add hyperlink; sp correction
Old 09-09-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by showmeproof View Post
Airlines will only get involved with replacement/repair if the guitar is in a hardshell case that also has been damaged.
See Remi Claude Arsenault's Vintage Larrivee L-10. The Airline drove a forklift through it (stabbed it with the forks).

https://globalnews.ca/news/4420849/g...port-forklift/

He is still fighting them over their responsibility.

And to be fair, I don't think one of my Rainsongs would have survived a lot better. Carbon Fiber might be tough, but...
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-09-2018, 01:51 PM

Let's just hope Delta is ready when we are.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-09-2018, 02:01 PM

I have one of the Mono soft/hard travel cases and have been hugely satisfied with it.

I understand that it does take a bit of space up top, but you know, people are bringing these enormous "carry on" bags, and chances are they will have to gate check any way.

If you fly as much as I do, invest in a Mono case, they are totally awesome!

https://monocreators.com/collections/guitar-cases

Happy Playing!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 09-09-2018, 02:36 PM

These days I buy early boarding and carry my guitar in a hard case on the plane. The problem with gig bags are the people who stuff their wheelies in the overhead with great force if they don't see a wheelie already in that spot. Even a great gig bag won't save a CF guitar from some of these guys. Also, should it ever get gate checked I'm protected.

A RainSong 12 fret parlor "just fits" and I mean just fits a Gator 3/4 case, and is snug in a TKL Parlor case.

Gator GWE-Acou-3/4
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...3U4V0JsWmVmRGc

TKL 8975 "Deluxe Parlor" case
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kc...4FmS0XL7JxGTKK

The TKL is a much better case and I had to pull loose staples out of the Gator's interior lid padding. I think either of these cases are less bulky than a GSmini, Mono, or other top quality gig bag that fits your guitar perfectly (should one exist). The Gator case can be had pretty cheaply from MF, but they buy them bulk packaged and box them in their flimsy packing material so don't expect a pristine looking case when it arrives. 8th Street Music was reasonable for the TKL.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-09-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
See Remi Claude Arsenault's Vintage Larrivee L-10. The Airline drove a forklift through it (stabbed it with the forks).

https://globalnews.ca/news/4420849/g...port-forklift/

He is still fighting them over their responsibility.

And to be fair, I don't think one of my Rainsongs would have survived a lot better. Carbon Fiber might be tough, but...
That certainly is heartbreaking. I tend to not get overly concerned about isolated incidents and focus more towards the likelihood of something happening. For every guitar that is damaged, how many fly safely? In that particular case, a fork-lift puncture, I'm not sure any instrument in any case would have survived unscathed. Also, if gatechecked as a carry on, it should minimize the forklift scenario. Maybe a conveyor to a flat bed which is then taken to the jetway and possibly thrown in for recollection.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
These days I buy early boarding and carry my guitar in a hard case on the plane. The problem with gig bags are the people who stuff their wheelies in the overhead with great force if they don't see a wheelie already in that spot. Even a great gig bag won't save a CF guitar from some of these guys. Also, should it ever get gate checked I'm protected.

A RainSong 12 fret parlor "just fits" and I mean just fits a Gator 3/4 case, and is snug in a TKL Parlor case.

Gator GWE-Acou-3/4
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...3U4V0JsWmVmRGc

TKL 8975 "Deluxe Parlor" case
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kc...4FmS0XL7JxGTKK

The TKL is a much better case and I had to pull loose staples out of the Gator's interior lid padding. I think either of these cases are less bulky than a GSmini, Mono, or other top quality gig bag that fits your guitar perfectly (should one exist). The Gator case can be had pretty cheaply from MF, but they buy them bulk packaged and box them in their flimsy packing material so don't expect a pristine looking case when it arrives. 8th Street Music was reasonable for the TKL.
Thanks for the other options and the experience with flying. I am a bit leary of the mono case as it is nearly 2x the price as the SKB. What would be the benefit of hybrid case (weight?)? I'll take a look at these other options from Gator and TKL.

TKL's lower bout is too narrow. The Gator's depth is too shallow. Looks like it will be the SKB for the X7 Artisan. I am pretty firmed up on the need for a HSC while flying. Any other's that fly with MONO?

Last edited by showmeproof; 09-09-2018 at 02:58 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber