The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 02:42 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default D'Addario EXP11 80/20 vs Elixer 80/20 polys....

Battle of the strings.

I just treated myself to a couple of sets of coated strings, something I haven't done in a while. I just recently put less expensive sets of 80/20s on two of my guitars (D-120 and OM-05) and I'm thinking about yanking them off to put the higher cost strings on. Not that the coated strings would sound twice as good, but I might squeak a little less

I'll have to flip a coin to see which gets what.

You know, I really don't notice any difference between 80/20 and PB strings. Maybe because I never did side by side comparisons, but ......

Marketing....

Elixer Polyweb: "Warm, slick & fast"

D'addario EXP: "Deep, bright & projecting tone"

Keds: "Jump higher and run faster"

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-25-2018, 03:06 PM

That would be 'Elixir' then?

Must admit I use Nanowebs on my 000-28 and my D-28 and have done so for nearly 10 years.

Love them, their sound, their longevity . . . don't like the price much.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:02 PM

Personally I have never met a coated string I liked. Would have a plain or 3d daddario string over them any day and change them more often as you can almost get three sets for the price of one coated. IMHO

2011 Martin 000-18 GE
2017 Martin 000-15m
2006 Martin D-18 GE custom Amberburst
1999 Martin OM-28-V
2018 Martin HD 28 Amberburst
1984 Gibson American SG
2013 Fender EJ Stratocaster
2019 Gibson Les Paul Honey burst "Classic"
2019 50's Baja Telecaster
Vox vt40, 1978 Deluxe Reverb, Fender Super Sonic 22 amp, lots of stomp boxes
Old 05-25-2018, 07:51 PM

Keds. "Jump higher and run faster", is a great childhood memory. Thanks Barry!
Old 05-25-2018, 09:32 PM

For years I wold pull off 'coated strings' the instant I got a new guitar. didn't give them a chance really. Habit and belief.

Tried a whole bunch of things and there are differences but not that great really. Ultimately settled on Elixir Nano 80/20 11's. That slick feel was 'disconcerting' at first. But I came to appreciate it, especially through a PA, minimal squeak.

The ESP's I found brasher, more standard 80/20, I like a bit of new string bite. I did like them but they still squeaked some and did not last as long, but yes cheaper too. Trade offs. I buy the 3 packs, several of and save that way, but it's Elixirs for me. Change once a month, six weeks or so, rather than weekly with standards or maybe fortnightly with ESP's. My take.

Kris
Old 05-25-2018, 09:34 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
Keds. "Jump higher and run faster", is a great childhood memory. Thanks Barry!
Simpler times. Be home before the street lights come on!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-25-2018, 10:57 PM

You lost me when you said Elixer. Finger noise is in the technique, not the string. Nothing wrong with a string that is brash and needing to be tamed some at first.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Battle of the strings.

I just treated myself to a couple of sets of coated strings, something I haven't done in a while. I just recently put less expensive sets of 80/20s on two of my guitars (D-120 and OM-05) and I'm thinking about yanking them off to put the higher cost strings on. Not that the coated strings would sound twice as good, but I might squeak a little less

I'll have to flip a coin to see which gets what.

You know, I really don't notice any difference between 80/20 and PB strings. Maybe because I never did side by side comparisons, but ......

Marketing....

Elixer Polyweb: "Warm, slick & fast"

D'addario EXP: "Deep, bright & projecting tone"

Keds: "Jump higher and run faster"
I remember those Keds commercials and you know what? I DID feel like I jumped higher and ran faster with a new pair of Keds!

A better (closer) comparison would be the Elixir Nano's instead of the Poly's. The Poly's have a thick, external coating. I didn't like them at all. They deadened the string tone a bit and the Poly starts to fray pretty quick and leaves little 'tails' hanging off the playing areas.

The Nano's have the thinner coating which is mostly down in the grooves between windings. They are very slick and definitely reduce string squeak. If you're not used to them then they can feel almost too slippery which is why many don't like them.

I had them my first new guitars so I got used to them pretty quick and really didn't notice. Then when I got a guitar without coated strings on it, it felt too 'grabby' - rough and squeaky. But I quickly got used to that and then when I went back to the Elixirs they felt too slippery at first!

Recently I went over to D'Addario EXP16's on my Martin. The 'coating' on the EXP strings is only on the inner part of the string so your get the grabby feel of a traditional string but with the more long lasting effects of a coated.

I like them on the Martin but I generally prefer the Elixir on the Emerald X20 as I get this little weird bark from non-coated (external) strings on the Emerald guitars. I'm sure it's a technique thing but the quick and easy fix was to go back to the Elixir Nano's.

I just order a couple pairs of John Pearse PB New Mediums (uncoated) to give them a try after John at Shoreline raved about them. Keep us posted on which way you go and how it went.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Simpler times. Be home before the street lights come on!
Actually, wasn't it PF Flyers help you run your fastest and jump your highest? I think I will Google the old commercial.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:27 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
Actually, wasn't it PF Flyers help you run your fastest and jump your highest? I think I will Google the old commercial.
Could have been. My memory was better back then too,

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-27-2018, 08:19 AM

I like the Elixer Polys better than the Nanos. I always used to like strings after they deadened a little, and the Polys already sound like that as soon as you put them on the guitar, and maintain that sound through their life on your guitar.

On my Jazzboxes I use uncoated flatwounds.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion