The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-30-2018, 06:15 AM

Default Any Slate ML-2 Users Yet?

James May has observed that this $149 condenser mic works as well as anything out there, with respect to ToneDexter training. I'm wondering what any additional users have got to report about it (ie, how well does it work for recording vocals?)
Old 04-30-2018, 07:20 AM

interesting. this mic in conjunction with
their VMS preamp and their software can
model classic recording pres like the british
fg73 ..
Old 04-30-2018, 08:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

As far as I know, it is still not available. We were lucky to get a couple of units quite some time ago to assess.

It really is quite the mic for $150. Because it is designed to be used with their modeling software, it has a very flat and neutral response. That's exactly what gives the most consistent results with ToneDexter, so it's a good match to our users' needs.

I understand the delays have been caused by things other than the hardware being ready. Let's hope it comes out soon.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 04-30-2018, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the update, James.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:21 PM

I would exercise caution buying any Slate products requiring wait time to be fully workable. Slate is both a progressive guy and a guy with his fingers in a lot of pies; his company has promised a state-of-the-art recording interface for over two years after they claimed it was about to come out and revolutionize the world. Meanwhile competitors like Presonus and UAD keep getting them out to market.

They are also not beyond reproach at updating older products as they continue to innovate and explore Steven Slate's many (mostly good; not saying he's not talented, cause he is) innovations.

Not sayin' don't buy his mics and modelers, just sayin' be cautious if you have to wait on this or that.

p.s. Slate isn't the only company with hardware mics and mic and preamp models.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Yes it appears the dealers are taking pre orders and do not have inventory yet. If the response is as flat as claimed, it should be a pretty good SDC for acoustic guitar recording as well .
Typically SDC's are not favored for vocals but if the modeling is any good, it might serve as a reasonable if not stellar vocal mic.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 04-30-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes it appears the dealers are taking pre orders and do not have inventory yet. If the response is as flat as claimed, it should be a pretty good SDC for acoustic guitar recording as well .
Typically SDC's are not favored for vocals but if the modeling is any good, it might serve as a reasonable if not stellar vocal mic.
Be my guest but this Slate vaporware has been "Coming Soon" for 16 months:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface

And he offers quite the Jobsian fanfare at the official announcement here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcCjfEjNZdY

In which he also announces the mic and modeling software ... that would be the also delayed mic and modeling software
Old 05-21-2018, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

The write-up on the Slate ML-2 microphone on the Sweetwater web site seems to indicate that the Slate ML-2 is made to be used with the Slate Digital VMS-ONE Linear Microphone Preamp. The Slate Digital VMS-ONE Linear Microphone Preamp sells for $299.00 from Sweetwater.

James, Would it be necessary, and / or advisable, to use the Slate Digital VMS-ONE Linear Microphone Preamp along with the Slate ML-2 microphone for purposes of ToneDexter training?
Old 05-22-2018, 06:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

The mic is all you need with ToneDexter. Any additional preamp in the path would just be a nuisance and not bring anything to the table.

The ML-2 is really flat, comparable to the venerable SM81. They designed it this way so that their modeling software can morph it into the personas of other popular mics. Based on other Slate software that I use, I have no doubt that part will work well, and will be a plus for players who also record with a DAW.

For TD training it is ideal because of the combination of performance and cost. I should add that there are other very good choices on our recommended mic list on our support page.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 05-22-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post

In which he also announces the mic and modeling software ... that would be the also delayed mic and modeling software
reminds me of archangel preamps.They had a two channel
pre they were "coming out soon" with ..,i waited
two years before i stopped watching . Not sure what happened to archangel.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
The mic is all you need with ToneDexter. Any additional preamp in the path would just be a nuisance and not bring anything to the table.

The ML-2 is really flat, comparable to the venerable SM81. They designed it this way so that their modeling software can morph it into the personas of other popular mics. Based on other Slate software that I use, I have no doubt that part will work well, and will be a plus for players who also record with a DAW.

For TD training it is ideal because of the combination of performance and cost. I should add that there are other very good choices on our recommended mic list on our support page.
Yep. Any unnecessary gain stages are actually a bit counterproductive. That's why I'm having second thoughts about using an additional EQ device with ToneDexter for performances. It may do more harm than good.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post

While I appreciate the offer of guest hospitality , the arrival date, is completely unrelated to the mics response curve, the actual focus of my post.
And Slates tardy-ness is meaningless to me, as I won't be buying it, nor do I use a tonedexter. So if you wish to obsess over announcement style and launch timing, "be my guest" (as you might say), But you really don't need my post to do so, just sayin'

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-22-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
While I appreciate the offer of guest hospitality , the arrival date, is completely unrelated to the mics response curve, the actual focus of my post.
And Slates tardy-ness is meaningless to me, as I won't be buying it, nor do I use a tonedexter. So if you wish to obsess over announcement style and launch timing, "be my guest" (as you might say), But you really don't need my post to do so, just sayin'
Just as you're allowed to obsess over response curves of mics you don't plan to buy. You're just an academic then. Got it.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

James, Thank you for your response. It's been awhile since I visited the Audio Sprockets web page. Maybe you have updated it, or maybe I just didn't explore the web page thoroughly before, but it is really an EXCELLENT, well laid out, easy to read, very comprehensive web page!! Congratulations and thank you again for inventing the ToneDexter!
Old 05-22-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Yep. Any unnecessary gain stages are actually a bit counterproductive. That's why I'm having second thoughts about using an additional EQ device with ToneDexter for performances. It may do more harm than good.
Well, I understand why you wouldn't want to place EQ into the microphone path while training, but why not EQ (if it gets you to a better sound) either the pickup signal or the ToneDexter output?

The second way is essentially what the EQ knobs on the ToneDexter do.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification