The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-23-2017, 05:11 PM

Default 4 maestros sold in 24 hours

I just saw 3 of 4 maestro guitars from Singapore -- listed 2k-3k -- sell out in under 24 hours in a shop carrying Collings, H&D, Santa Cruz, Martin, Taylor, Bourgeois, and Sexauer.

So I took the 4th myself before it was gone.

WOW are they quality
Old 06-23-2017, 05:35 PM

I almost bought one but the string spacing on them was too narrow for me. They sure are nice looking.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:24 PM

Default Maestro comparison

The shop here received 2 Maestros at Christmas time. They had thin neck profiles and narrow string spacing. Both were good instruments but not great. Equivalent to very good Eastmans.

THESE WERE OF AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT ORDER.

All four were impeccably built and appointed. All four had hefty neck profiles and finger style spacing. These were far superior to any Eastman I've ever played and compared well with boutique American builders.

I had been entertaining either a Taylor 712 or 914 for my next purchase, but these instruments out-scored them.

The first three were snatched up yesterday by local players who normally stick to Bourgeois etc. The last Maestro was still there this morning. I went back and A/B'd it against the Taylors again as well as a more traditionally- voiced Collings OM2H. The OM2H came closest on tone, and the Taylor 712 on playability. But that PacRim instrument had it all. Seriously, I had the money for either Taylor or the Collings. But the maestro was the winner going home.

Crazy but true.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereklaney View Post
The shop here received 2 Maestros at Christmas time. They had thin neck profiles and narrow string spacing. Both were good instruments but not great. Equivalent to very good Eastmans.

THESE WERE OF AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT ORDER.

All four were impeccably built and appointed. All four had hefty neck profiles and finger style spacing. These were far superior to any Eastman I've ever played and compared well with boutique American builders.

I had been entertaining either a Taylor 712 or 914 for my next purchase, but these instruments out-scored them.

The first three were snatched up yesterday by local players who normally stick to Bourgeois etc. The last Maestro was still there this morning. I went back and A/B'd it against the Taylors again as well as a more traditionally- voiced Collings OM2H. The OM2H came closest on tone, and the Taylor 712 on playability. But that PacRim instrument had it all. Seriously, I had the money for either Taylor or the Collings. But the maestro was the winner going home.

Crazy but true.
I'd like to know which models. I contacted Maestro and they told me the widest spacing they had was 2 3/16. I was looking for 2 1/4 or 2 5/16. I am familiar with their higher end models.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereklaney View Post
...All four had hefty neck profiles and finger style spacing...
Dealbreaker...
Old 06-23-2017, 11:58 PM

I hope it is everything you ever wanted in a guitar. While I never purchase a new/used guitar anticipating resale, I do sleep well knowing my recognizable name branded guitars will fetch most of what I pay for them if I ever do decide to sell. For someone to pay $2000-$3,000 for a guitar from Singapore it must be something to play and hear. I am looking forward to your photos, review and (hopefully) audio clips.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:05 AM

Sounds like their private collection models which are head and shoulders above their standard high end range. I have one still waiting for me to pick up in KL.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:04 AM

Derek, what model Private Collection Maestro did you end up buying? Also, can you post (or PM me if more appropriate) the store you purchased it at. I would like to look them up as they carry all my favorite brands in one store.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:48 AM

Default Just found the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Derek, what model Private Collection Maestro did you end up buying? Also, can you post (or PM me if more appropriate) the store you purchased it at. I would like to look them up as they carry all my favorite brands in one store.
Hi there. Just happened across the old thread.

I don’t think my Maestros are from the Private Collection. Not sure what that is. My first Maestro was a ‘Raffles” and the newest Maestro I got is a ‘traditional’ OMIR. It’s crazy great.

The shop is Lidgett in Council Bluffs IA. It’s a remarkable place. They’re dealers of Collings, bourgeois, Martin, Taylor, Huss and Dalton, Eastman, Santa Cruz .... and on the electric side, Fender, Gretsch, Collings, Suhr, Whitfield, PRS, Heritage. Etc. Just a killer shop. They are cool with trades too. Lots of good used stuff.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:25 AM

Here's a link to the Private Collection - impressive looking guitars there for sure - if they sound as good as they look then the prices seem reasonable.

https://maestro-guitars.myshopify.co...ate-collection

There's also a new website launching in the next 12 hours or so:

http://www.maestroguitars.com/
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI

Last edited by AndyC; 05-26-2018 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:54 AM

Tonally, my Maestro Private Collection is in the same league as my Collings Traditional. I invited a friend to come and do a blind test and he was utterly shocked with how good the Maestro sounded, I regret not doing a video of his reaction, it was priceless!
Old 05-26-2018, 10:57 AM

Wow! There are some good-looking guitars in that Private Collection link - if they sound as good as they look, that's really something!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion