The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-21-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
One question: the main reasons I use the PZ-Pre are 1) that it provides two input channels, so I can use two different guitars on stage and switch between them with my foot and, 2) so I can switch the pedals I put in the effects loop of the unit on and off, along with a boost, with one foot tap. If I didn't need these functions, I would simply go into the amps. The Shen 85 has a pretty nice feature set, including semi parametric mids, onboard effects, 3 different DI outputs, and an effects loop. Are you sure you need a a separate preamp/DI?

Louis
Bingo! Wondering the same thing myself.

From an earlier reply I wrote:

> I'm trying to add reverb & chorus to my guitar chain. The Shen has reverb but I intend to use that for the vocal channel only as those settings will probably be different from what I want for guitar. I know there's an effects loop but just thought it might be a "cleaner" setup having whatever pedals/boxes at my feet with one cable running to the amp.

Thoughts?<

Frank
Old 05-21-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwphoto View Post
Absolutely right. I'm re-thinking the whole thing over.

Primarily, I'm trying to add reverb & chorus to my guitar chain. The Shen has reverb but I intend to use that for the vocal channel only as those settings will probably be different from what I want for guitar. I know there's an effects loop but just thought it might be a "cleaner" setup having whatever pedals/boxes at my feet with one cable running to the amp.

Thoughts?

Frank

Have a look at the Boss VE8 ( I have one - fabulous!):

https://www.boss.info/global/products/ve-8/

TC Electronics have a similar Play Acoustic unit...

BluesKing777.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I'm using a Platinum Pro with my D18 with JJB pickups (same as K&K) into a Fishman Loudbox Mini and/or a D.I into a board in a church P.A. or into my Yamaha mixer into powered speakers. No issues.
One of the my K&K equipped guitars is a D-18. I do like the Platinum Pro feature set. I'll keep your comments in mind as I decide which way to go.

Thanks!

Frank
Old 05-21-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Have a look at the Boss VE8 ( I have one - fabulous!):

https://www.boss.info/global/products/ve-8/

TC Electronics have a similar Play Acoustic unit...

BluesKing777.
Those are both units I'm researching. :-)

Thanks,

Frank
Old 05-21-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:

> I'm trying to add reverb & chorus to my guitar chain. The Shen has reverb but I intend to use that for the vocal channel only as those settings will probably be different from what I want for guitar. I know there's an effects loop but just thought it might be a "cleaner" setup having whatever pedals/boxes at my feet with one cable running to the amp.

Thoughts?<

Frank
With that amp, if you want to run different effects on the guitar and the vocal channels, you will have to put the effects for one or both ahead of the amp. You can use the reverb on your mic channel for vocals and turn down the effects level knob on your guitar channel. Then you can run whatever effects you like for the guitar before the amp (either just using pedals, using pedals in the effects loop of a preamp like the Platinum Pro--this is what I do with my PZ-PRe--or using a multi-effects unit of one kind or another).

As BluesKing777 suggests, another way to do this is to ignore the effects on the Shen and use one of those vocal/guitar pedal units like the TC Helicon Play Acoustic or similar.

Louis
Old 05-22-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:

Thoughts?<

Frank

Just a few more thoughts on the Genz......

I have found that I like the guitar channel with ....here we go, heresy they cry.........no effects. The treble on about 9 o'clock, bass at 10 o'clock and the mids swept to suit the guitar. (I played 3 guitars just then through the Genz and just found out the standard soundhole plug for my Martin D18 doesn't fit my Lowden S35!)

So I played at approx the same master volume setting with the channel gain on 12 0'clock. No reverb as I think it adds that little thing that makes the guitar sound 'electric' for want of a better word... Splash of plain reverb for the vocals only. Try it, it sounds really nice. (I never want to sing again without reverb - lots!)

So first I played my Maton SRS808 with the fab Maton AP5-Pro pickup with condenser mic and undersaddle on full! Custom small Maton soundhole cover in! This is ready to roll! Nothing else needed.

Next I played my Lowden S35 with K&K Mini direct to amp. No soundhole cover - will need one to go louder or ...gulp...gaffa tape. Sounds great. Nothing else needed.

Next was my Martin D18E Retro with Aura inbuilt with standard soundhole cover - Aura was on the Easy Mode no 1 image. Sounded great but I can see rejigging the whole eq.........

So I guess what I am saying is that you don't need a thing - Guitar > K&K Mini > Genz Benz! All Systems Go! Buy your self a nice....something instead...

BUT...

If you want to leave the Genz at home and need a unit for guitar/vocal direct to someone's PA....Boss VE8.

BluesKing777.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Just a few more thoughts on the Genz......

. . . So I guess what I am saying is that you don't need a thing - Guitar > K&K Mini > Genz Benz! All Systems Go! Buy your self a nice....something instead...

BUT...

If you want to leave the Genz at home and need a unit for guitar/vocal direct to someone's PA....Boss VE8.

BluesKing777.
Thanks for your & Louis' comments!

I checked out the VE8 & really like it. Don't really need the vocal section, though. I have that signal chain pretty much taken care of with Sennheiser mics & Joe Meek processor.

OK, so I finally got around to firing up the Shen 85. So far, I've only had my old D-18 with K&K plugged in. Flattened everything up, swept & gently corrected the mids, & played. I agree with all those that reaffirmed how good that combo really is! Short of a ToneDexter :-), the guitar sounded pretty good. I'll try my K&K pup'd OM-21 later.

That said, I still want to add a guitar specific reverb & chorus to the chain.

I'm wondering if this combination would check all the boxes for me: K&K pup'd guitar > TC Electronic PolyTune 3 (partly for the buffer function) > Fishman ToneDEQ (yeah, I keep coming back to that s/fx unit :-) > G-B Shen 85.

- Tune/Mute Pedal
- levels out all the electronic issues in this chain
- Reverb/Chorus (+ addition fx to play with :-)
- EQ / Lo-Cut (L-M-H only OK since I have the sweep-able mids of the Shen)
- Compressor (a nice add that I hadn't really thought I'd get quite yet)
- Boost (again, a nice add for me)
- DI + Amp out from ToneDeq to Shen

Lots of checks!

So, what am I missing?

Frank

Last edited by fwphoto; 05-26-2018 at 03:04 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification