The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2023, 09:46 AM

Default How do I verify if a Martin D-28 is a "Custom-Shop"?

I'm tentatively picking up a used Martin D-28 "Custom Shop" in a few days, and I'm wondering how to verify if the guitar is indeed a "Custom-Shop" D-28. The store has referred to the guitar as an "HD-28",,, and sometimes as a "Custom-Shop D-28". I presume the precise model name is "burned" into the heel of the neck, visible inside the body cavity. Would it actually say "Custom-Shop D-28"??

I tried searching yesterday, and couldn't find a Custom-Shop model with the letters HD-28,,, only Custom-Shop D-28 (no letter H).

Also, how would I determine the age of the guitar? and is it possible to determine what the top wood is? (Adirondak vs Sitka for example.)

Thanks in advance. Aside from my old Martin Shenandoah 12-string (D28-12V), I'm new to Martin model names,
Old 05-29-2023, 09:51 AM

As a general rule, anything from the custom shop simply has "Custom" stamped into the head block, and does not include a model number. For example, my 1990 custom shop J40 only said Custom and there was no marking anywhere referring to a J40, which was the basis of the custom build. You would need to contact Martin with the serial number and get the actual build sheet. Perhaps your dealer can help you get that....
Old 05-29-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post

Also, how would I determine the age of the guitar?
You can determine the age of the guitar by its serial number. Here's a link: https://www.martinguitar.com/custome...er-lookup.html
Old 05-29-2023, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like a very interesting Martin. As far as the neck block, it will have the Custom Shop logo in the wood, with the serial number below. As for the serial number, you can determine the age from Martin’s site. You can also request a spec sheet from Customer Service. I bought a Custom Shop last year and the sheet says “Inspired By”.

As far as the wood, it would entail someone experienced. Generally, Sitka will be very uniform grain and color whereas Adirondack will be more variable and may red vertical streaks.
Old 05-29-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post

Also, how would I determine the age of the guitar? and is it possible to determine what the top wood is? (Adirondak vs Sitka for example.)
If it's an HD-28 and is pre 2023, it will be Sitka. If it is a 2023 model, it will most likely be Sitka but could be something else. If it is a Custom Shop build, it will be whatever was spec'd by the person who ordered it and Martin can tell you if you request a build sheet.
Old 05-29-2023, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

If it's a Custom Shop guitar based on an HD-28, it will not say HD-28 on the neck block, It will have in script ''Martin Custom Shop'' with the serial number.

If it says in block letters Custom, it's most likely one of the GC/MF custom orders. That doesn't make it a bad guitar. It just means it wasn't made in the custom shop but as a special order on the regular line.

What is it that's custom about the guitar? What does the shop say? You could get the build sheet from Martin with the serial number but it takes a few weeks. Depending on what's custom about the guitar, it might be worth more than a standard, but if for instance the custom feature was script on the neck that says ''I love Johnny Cash'' it could be worth a lot less.

Let us know what you find out. Take some pics. It's probably a great guitar.

Good luck with it!
Old 05-29-2023, 11:48 AM

Unfortunately, the store is closed today (closed Mondays). I'll call tomorrow morning. I did ask a couple of days ago, but the answers I was getting differed depending on who I was speaking to. Some said the guitar was worth $5,500 Canadian, new, Some said $7-8K Canadian.new.

When I researched online, the $7-8K+ models all had Adirondack tops. When I simply researched "HD-28", those were roughly $4500. CDN. and came with Sitka spruce tops.

I don't have much else to go with at the moment. I'm told it was originally bought by a guy with deep pockets, and he wanted a "good guitar" to learn to play. The frets show no sign of wear, and the top is very slightly "yellowed", but I don't want to overstate that. There are very light swirl patterns on the back, presumably from polishing. It supposedly sat in a closet for years, so maybe it's time for that "gittar" to come out of the closet.
Old 05-29-2023, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

'' I'm told it was originally bought by a guy with deep pockets, and he wanted a "good guitar" to learn to play. ''

In that case it could be a shop order. Some shops, like Gruhn or Willcutt, will order a custom run of 5 or 6 Custom Shop guitars. It's an easy way to get a Custom Shop guitar. I had a CS OM-18 that was a custom order by Mandolin Bros. It wasn't right for me, but I was able to sell it easily for what I paid. I now have an 0000-18 12 fret that was ordered by Willcutt that's never leaving my hands!

The shop should have gotten the build sheet. That's where you'll get the specs on the guitar, and the value depends, not only on how it sounds, but by what's in it. Unless it's got incredible specs, I don't think it's worth more than a new HD-28. It's still a used guitar.

And most likely, if it had a build sheet price of $7-8000, the buyer would have paid around $6000. It's probably a great guitar, but be careful to not overpay. you should be able to compare it to the current Martin HD-28 and see how it sounds and feels to you.
Old 05-29-2023, 12:50 PM

I had a 1983 HD28 with a lot of (then) unusual custom features, an Alpine top, squared headstock, 1 3/4” nut, herringbone binding, scalloped braces. But these guitars were not build in some “custom shop” they just went through the assembly line with special features on the tag. Very nice guitar. And it said “Custom” on the block.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 05-29-2023, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

It’s common to use the closest to model when describing a Custom. My Custom is described by me as a D 35 Custom. It’s a rosewood guitar with a three piece back. It’s easier than saying it’s a dread with a three piece back, the wedge being Koa and the fingerboard and bridge being rosewood, with flame maple binding.

But it is not a D 35.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-29-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
If it's a Custom Shop guitar based on an HD-28, it will not say HD-28 on the neck block, It will have in script ''Martin Custom Shop'' with the serial number.

If it says in block letters Custom, it's most likely one of the GC/MF custom orders. That doesn't make it a bad guitar. It just means it wasn't made in the custom shop but as a special order on the regular line.
There’s no special, separate enclave at Martin where the Custom Shop instruments are built - ALL Custom Shop guitars go through the regular production line with special paperwork with them. There’s no separate room where these custom order guitars are built start to finish.

If you doubt me on this, just call Martin and ask them.

whm
Old 05-29-2023, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
And most likely, if it had a build sheet price of $7-8000, the buyer would have paid around $6000. It's probably a great guitar, but be careful to not overpay. you should be able to compare it to the current Martin HD-28 and see how it sounds and feels to you.
Well, it depends quite a bit on what year it was. It wasn't that long ago that 40% off of the build sheet price was pretty common (that was what I paid for mine when I took delivery on 2014). It was what, 5-6 years ago that they changed up the pricing structure. Of course, it also seems that the Canadian market is a bit different, so I don't really know how that would change those figures.

And, as has been suggested elswhere, custom shop models don't get standard line names attached to them. Sellers just use the closest approximation, or the model it's based on, as a convenience.

Technically, from the shop it would be designated as a D-14... which just indicates body shape and number of frets to the body, but doesn't indicate anything else about the build specs. At least that was the standard practice a few years ago.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-30-2023, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
There’s no special, separate enclave at Martin where the Custom Shop instruments are built - ALL Custom Shop guitars go through the regular production line with special paperwork with them. There’s no separate room where these custom order guitars are built start to finish.
Isn't there a separate section in the factory called the "Custom Shop"? I thought that was where, for the example, the Authentics are built.
Old 05-30-2023, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopinhauer View Post
Isn't there a separate section in the factory called the "Custom Shop"? I thought that was where, for the example, the Authentics are built.
Not so far as I’m aware. If there is, it’s a very recent development, in the past few months.

whm
Old 05-30-2023, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Not so far as I’m aware. If there is, it’s a very recent development, in the past few months.

whm
Hi Wade,

The Custom Shop has been a dedicated section of the factory for years—I'm sure someone on the UMGF would know the exact date if no one here does (not sure why Buck is no longer a member here(?)). Here is a video from 2015 about the Custom Shop, and the Martin rep (who I met recently at a Russo Music event dedicated to the Custom Shop), but can't recall his name) mentions early on "when we officially put in this Custom Shop..." so it was sometime in 2015 or before.

Here's another video from Martin from 2017:

I took the factory tour recently and the Custom Shop section is quite large. I don't know if they build entire guitars start-to-finish in the Custom Shop, but I suspect some are. For example, a "standard" custom order probably goes through the regular production process until the custom features need to be applied (inlays, etc.), but afaik others like Authentics are either built largely if not entirely in the Custom Shop.

Here are some photos of the Custom Shop section of the factory:

To the OP, as others have noted, the neck block on custom guitars will simply say "Custom Shop" and the serial number, because they are not production models. In the first video I posted above, the neck block was hand-stamped (see around 2:00 in). At some point Martin switched to a laser-etched block with "Custom Shop in script.

I have two Custom Shop guitars, and in addition to the stamp on the neck block one has a paper label on the inside of the back that says:

"Custom Shop
Handcrafted by
The Martin Custom Shop for
[Name]"

and is signed by Chris Martin IV. Not sure when that was the practice.

Production guitars built in the Custom Shop are different. For example, the neck block on my D-18 Authentic 1937 says:

"D-18
AUTHENTIC
[Serial Number]"

It's hard to tell if it was hand-stamped or laser-etched.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion