The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2023, 07:54 PM

Default Some info on an Alvarez PD80SC please?

I found one that I am thinking may be good for use at open mics. I like Alvarez and you can see I own three and have owned two more. Only one had any problem ... a lifting bridge or a bridge that was not glued completely in when constructed.

I do know this model has :
A solid Engelman top
A solid mahogany back
Laminated mahogany sides
600T Mark II electronics

What I don't know is if it has the thinner 1 11/6-inch nut width (which I think it does) the neck profile and how good/bad that pickup system is so I'd appreciate any help from you owners of this guitar. Also I've never owned a guitar with an Engelman top but I think that may complement my playing style ... flatpick but not a forceful player. And I've never owned an acoustic with a cutaway ... but playing high up the neck is a foreign land to me most of the time so that would not be a big advantage.

Thanks.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 05-29-2023, 12:37 PM

I’m not sure how much help this will be but here goes: I have PD-85 SCAV from the same series. I’m sure the sound would be different because mine has rosewood back and sides, but I can say that the nut is 1 11/16, more like an average electric and the neck profile is relatively shallow from front to back, also like many modern electrics. The pickup system does a good job in a band context but I think it sounds a bit brittle if it’s just me and my voice. For this reason, I’ve just mic’-ed it in the past
Old 05-29-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wproffitt View Post
I’m not sure how much help this will be but here goes: I have PD-85 SCAV from the same series. I’m sure the sound would be different because mine has rosewood back and sides, but I can say that the nut is 1 11/16, more like an average electric and the neck profile is relatively shallow from front to back, also like many modern electrics. The pickup system does a good job in a band context but I think it sounds a bit brittle if it’s just me and my voice. For this reason, I’ve just mic’-ed it in the past
Thanks. That was my understanding on the nut width. I know of the PD-90 series that has a solid rosewood back and laminated sides but I didn't know of the PD-85s. As in another post I'm thinking if I get it I will add some kind of auxiliary pickup, either an internal mic or a simple soundhole pickup, so I can blend the pickups or just one or the other as need be.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 05-30-2023, 05:15 AM

Adding a mic makes sense. Pretty sure this is possible with the system this guitar comes with. I forgot to mention this, but mine has a satin finish that feels great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion