The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-26-2023, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Default I had forgotten...

...how hard it is to wait for an Emerald.

And it's only been a week since I ordered it.

#firstworldproblem
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-26-2023, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Old 05-26-2023, 01:22 PM

If it makes you feel better, my longest wait for a stock model was 10 days, including a federal holiday which delayed clearing US Customs. My wait for a custom model was two weeks short of a year between time of the confirmed order and the actual delivery, but the plague delayed everything.

Normally I quit reading a post as soon as I encounter the phrase "first world problem" but that was your last line. Everything about AGF is literally a first world problem -- a luxury. In Maslow’s Hierarchy, guitars do not appear on the pyramid.
Old 05-26-2023, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Normally I quit reading a post as soon as I encounter the phrase "first world problem" but that was your last line. Everything about AGF is literally a first world problem -- a luxury. In Maslow’s Hierarchy, guitars do not appear on the pyramid.
You are, of course, correct. I’m well aware that griping about waiting for a guitar to be made is hardly sensible, so the phrase seemed to fit the situation.

Although, in looking Maslow’s Hierarchy (with which I was not familiar), it could be argued that playing the guitar fits into ‘self-actualization’ - but I’m not going to argue the case. I’ve got a good book to read, and a lovely old Martin to play
Cordoba Stage

Old 05-26-2023, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Maslow needs to make an addendum to that pyramid... oh, I suppose "guitar" could fit into the physiological needs level: breathing, food, water, guitar, shelter, clothing, sleep. Maybe the second level: I could use the guitar for employment. Third level: a guitar certainly gives one a sense of connection. Forth level: as long as you don't compare yourself to someone like Tommy Emmanuel, you should have decent self-confidence... and I think those of us on this sub-forum already know that playing a carbon fiber guitar makes you a "unique individual." Which brings us to the top of the pyramid... and playing guitar certainly fits in there. Well, along with the inner potential that comes from "just one more guitar."

Now, pining about the wait for a new Emerald... pretty sure you lose Maslow Bonus Points for that. (but we all get that)

Last edited by Captain Jim; 05-26-2023 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2023, 06:14 AM

Wow. This has gotten deep for some poor guy who just wanted a bit of guitar owner empathy as he begins his gut-wrenching wait to receive his new guitar. Lol. Lord knows I can’t even stand to wait a day or two for anything that I order, let alone a new guitar!
Old 05-27-2023, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
...how hard it is to wait for an Emerald.

And it's only been a week since I ordered it.

#firstworldproblem
If it makes you feel any better, you are welcome to come over and play mine (revisit your old ones). Seriously, that would be fun.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-27-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah1F View Post
Wow. This has gotten deep for some poor guy who just wanted a bit of guitar owner empathy as he begins his gut-wrenching wait to receive his new guitar. Lol. Lord knows I can’t even stand to wait a day or two for anything that I order, let alone a new guitar!
Remember the days of mail order from catalogs? You’d put a paper check in an envelope and send it via snail mail, aka USPS. A standard phrase was always “allow 4-6 weeks for delivery”. My, how time has compressed.

I did my part…. I kept David’s mind busy for a bit looking up Maslow instead of checking the tracking number. He certainly has my empathy.
Old 05-27-2023, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You are, of course, correct. I’m well aware that griping about waiting for a guitar to be made is hardly sensible, so the phrase seemed to fit the situation.

Although, in looking Maslow’s Hierarchy (with which I was not familiar), it could be argued that playing the guitar fits into ‘self-actualization’ - but I’m not going to argue the case. I’ve got a good book to read, and a lovely old Martin to play
You are incredibly patient on forums, sir!

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-27-2023, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Remember the days of mail order from catalogs? You’d put a paper check in an envelope and send it via snail mail, aka USPS. A standard phrase was always “allow 4-6 weeks for delivery”. My, how time has compressed.

I did my part…. I kept David’s mind busy for a bit looking up Maslow instead of checking the tracking number. He certainly has my empathy.
Yes, you did keep him busy!!

Oh and you are soooo right!!! Waiting for anything used to take weeks. I do miss the days, however, of walking into a store and buying what we intended, rather than being forced to buy online sight unseen. As a boomer, this drives me batty! Lol
Old 05-27-2023, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, you did keep him busy!!

Oh and you are soooo right!!! Waiting for anything used to take weeks. I do miss the days, however, of walking into a store and buying what we intended, rather than being forced to buy online sight unseen. As a boomer, this drives me batty! Lol
When it comes to expensive items such as guitars, I simply refuse to do that. I purchased all of my guitars locally. My two Emeralds were purchased from the OP. My McPherson Sable and Touring were purchased at Fret Central, and my Cargos were purchased at The Podium. I can say the same for all my wood guitars.

For many people, buying from an online "catalog" seems to work fine and it Probably would for me too, but as you say, it would drive me batty, so I simply choose not to go that route. David is a really "laid back" sort of guy and I think this waiting period won't drive him batty. Besides that, he did buy both of the Emeralds I purchased from him, direct from Emerald with their respective waiting periods and he appears to still be sane. He has the personality traits that work well for that and I simply don't.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-27-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
When it comes to expensive items such as guitars, I simply refuse to do that. I purchased all of my guitars locally. My two Emeralds were purchased from the OP.
He has the personality traits that work well for that and I simply don't.
Tony
I am from NJ, USA. New Jerseyans have a terrible reputation for being impatient. Haha
No, I will also not buy expensive items from the internet, unless I can try the item out in person first and am getting a better price through the web. All of my guitars were purchased second hand from local owners or shops, and only two were bought brand new in a shop (one, a Guild acoustic, was a gift for my 17th birthday. I still have it MANY years later!).
Old 05-27-2023, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
One of my great joys as a child was to ‘send off’ for things - catalogues, things from catalogues, contests - and then enjoy the anticipation for that envelope or, even better, a parcel, to be delivered by the postman. I remember hurrying home from school to see what might have arrived that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
For many people, buying from an online "catalog" seems to work fine and it Probably would for me too, but as you say, it would drive me batty, so I simply choose not to go that route. David is a really "laid back" sort of guy and I think this waiting period won't drive him batty. Besides that, he did buy both of the Emeralds I purchased from him, direct from Emerald with their respective waiting periods and he appears to still be sane. He has the personality traits that work well for that and I simply don't.
Normally, I’d agree completely. But, in months of reading here and elsewhere, and corresponding with Emerald, I became convinced that I was buying a quality product, and that it would be ‘fit for purpose’. At the time I was still working, and busier than the proverbial one-armed paper hanger, so the time passed very quickly - that experience led me to the second one, and the third, and now the fourth…

And now, Tony owns the first two, and clearly understands my enthusiasm - and, apparently, my personality . He’s right - the wait for this one won’t be that arduous. I have enough going on right now that it will be July before I know it - and, besides, I’m really enjoying playing my old Martin again.

Quote:
I am from NJ, USA. New Jerseyans have a terrible reputation for being impatient. Haha
No, I will also not buy expensive items from the internet, unless I can try the item out in person first and am getting a better price through the web. All of my guitars were purchased second hand from local owners or shops, and only two were bought brand new in a shop (one, a Guild acoustic, was a gift for my 17th birthday. I still have it MANY years later!).
The most expensive item I’ve bought from ‘the internet’ is a camera - for which there were no local dealers. However, I’ve been dealing with B&H Photo for years, and had absolutely no qualms about the purchase. That was around 2 years ago, and no, I won’t be selling this one to Tony
Cordoba Stage

Old 05-28-2023, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

I really like buying on-line. I have access to every imaginable guitar, from anywhere. The first 40 years of guitar playing, I was a confirmed "I have to try it before I buy it" kinda guy. My first "remote" guitar buying experience was with Jim from Guitar Rodeo. A Taylor 814ce. Gorgeous tobacco burst finish. Jim asked how I wanted the action... when it arrived, it was perfect. Could not have been any better if I had traveled the 1,600 miles to Minnesota to buy it in person... but, I didn't have to make that long trek. For a guitar that I already knew would be nice (hey, it's a Taylor), but had never seen this particular finish other than the website photos.

It was a good experience. Made it easier to do it again. And again. And when it came time to buy a guitar from a company in Ireland, I expected it to be a good experience. Turned out to be even better than I expected: Ireland to south Texas in a few hours less than 4 days! For a guitar that I couldn't buy in a shop. Because that Irish guitar company only sells direct.

We don't all have a David in our town who will buy a guitar then sell it to me. The closest guitar shop to me is a small Guitar Center 45 minutes away. And their selection of Emeralds is pretty limited... and by limited, I mean: they've never even seen one... and when I asked them about a carbon fiber guitar 10 years ago, they had never heard of a guitar made from carbon fiber.

When you live in on an island at the edge of the country, it sure is nice to have the opportunity to have things delivered to your door.
Old 05-28-2023, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
One of my great joys as a child was to ‘send off’ for things - catalogues, things from catalogues, contests - and then enjoy the anticipation for that envelope or, even better, a parcel, to be delivered by the postman. I remember hurrying home from school to see what might have arrived that day.

Normally, I’d agree completely. But, in months of reading here and elsewhere, and corresponding with Emerald, I became convinced that I was buying a quality product, and that it would be ‘fit for purpose’. At the time I was still working, and busier than the proverbial one-armed paper hanger, so the time passed very quickly - that experience led me to the second one, and the third, and now the fourth…

And now, Tony owns the first two, and clearly understands my enthusiasm - and, apparently, my personality . He’s right - the wait for this one won’t be that arduous. I have enough going on right now that it will be July before I know it - and, besides, I’m really enjoying playing my old Martin again.

The most expensive item I’ve bought from ‘the internet’ is a camera - for which there were no local dealers. However, I’ve been dealing with B&H Photo for years, and had absolutely no qualms about the purchase. That was around 2 years ago, and no, I won’t be selling this one to Tony
My wife thanks you.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber