The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-19-2023, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default Journey RT660 body length?

Does anyone know the body length of the RT660? What they have listed on their website isn't right. It says "body length 36.5" This must be the full length of the guitar.

Also, the neck shape used to be listed as "Traditional C Shape." Now the neck shape is being called "thin D profile shape." Can anyone confirm what the neck feels like?

I've emailed Journey about a week ago, but haven't heard back from them. Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 05-19-2023, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

This one is not meant to be broken down. It can be, but it's meant to be travelable without taking the neck off. I found a used one on-line for half price and bought it for my grandkinds. A previous guitar I had given them (cheap Martin) had fallen apart. Body-top separation. They leave it out on a stand year round. Bad environment. So I bought them the used Journey.

It's at their house so I can't get measurements. But as to the neck profile, it's more of a "D". The sides are pretty straight up. I like old thick Gibson type necks. This is almost as thick, but the steep side of the neck is not comfortable for me. They love it. I can play it for a half hours or so. But if it was just for me I wouldn't like the neck profile. The Journey-Tek pickup, on the otherhand sounds terrific when plugged in. The acoustic sound of the guitar is pretty good too. A little tubby, but fun and acceptable as a second guitar.

Necks are a personal thing. I've tried Emerald guitars and don't like their neck profile. Others love it. I thing the Journey is similar to the Emerald in neck profile.
Old 05-19-2023, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Marshall for your information and impressions. I'm not sure that I've ever played a "D" neck. I wonder what other brands have that profile. Yeah, everything is personal when deciding what guitar to get.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 05-21-2023, 03:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Does anyone know the body length of the RT660? Thanks.
Just measured mine - 17 13/16”

As for the neck, I prefer Taylor style necks, in general. I have noticed not much of a difference with the Journey neck. It has a fuller feel to me, but the slightly shorter scale changes my arm/hand position enough that I got used to it fairly quickly.

One thing to note, these are surprisingly bass heavy for a CF and small bodied guitar. Like any other guitar, strings and playing style matter. I play with a pick 75% of the time. I use a much lighter attack on my Journey than on my X20.

Hope this helps
Vince
Old 05-21-2023, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Vince for the info. The body length feels like it would be good for me. I'm not too concered about bass-heavy as I play with extra-light strings and have a fairly light touch when picking or strumming.

I like your signature!
Old 05-22-2023, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Glad to help!

I think you will be happy with one, if you get it. It's a no frills, quality instrument that serves its purpose. I've thought many times about replacing it with an X7. I just cannot justify the cost difference, though, particularly for my use. This is my camping, beach, boating, travel anywhere guitar. I just love it. Remember to post if you get one!

Glad you like the sig
Old 05-22-2023, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

If you still have questions, give Journey a call. When I did James was very helpful in answering all my questions.

If portability is important you might consider the FF660, a bit larger than the OF660. And has the same removable neck. The FF660 is about the size of an Emerald X7:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=666942

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber