The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-10-2023, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Does anyone have experience with Taylor’s factory service or repair?

I’ve got a guitar that I’m considering sending to Taylor to get the top refinished. Has anyone had any experience with Taylor’s factory service? I know I’ll be looking at a lengthy turn around, but I’ve had a couple of rough experiences with a local “Taylor factory authorized” repair guy(super long and frustrating story)and want the job done correctly this time around.

Any info or experiences that someone can share would be appreciated.
Old 05-10-2023, 02:04 PM

I don't live far from the factory and so I have the luxury of bringing my guitar in instead of shipping. It also means I get to see what's coming in and out for repairs while I'm there. Let me just say that I have NEVER had any issue whatsoever with the factory service from Taylor. I've seen some amazing repair work and even had some done myself (on my guitar, not on me) and I can tell you I would not hesitate one bit to send my guitar back to the mothership.
Old 05-10-2023, 02:54 PM

I live near the factory so all of my experience is with Taylor's first team.

I've had fretwork done on a 714ce (warranty). A neck reset on a 756ce (warranty). A Cocobolo GS Ltd that needed its neck removed, all frets pulled, fretboard sanded out, re-fret EVO gold frets and reinstall the neck (not under warranty but worth every penny).

I've been super happy with Taylor's service. They were horribly backed up during the height of the pandemic but they're much better now. Reasonably fast, good communication and responsive. Highly recommended. Taylor's service is one of the reasons I own a small herd of their instruments...

Scott
Old 05-10-2023, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Recently had an all mahogany Taylor re-topped due to an accident that broke the original top. They did an undetectable job of replacing it and matching the special finish that particular model had. They are back logged these days so it took almost 6 months.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 05-10-2023, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

It's been a decade, but Taylor completely refinished a mahogany guitar under warranty that had developed finish "bubbles." I had a shop contact who kept me up to date on timing, progress, etc. I was more than satisfied.
Old 05-10-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
...Let me just say that I have NEVER had any issue whatsoever with the factory service from Taylor. I've seen some amazing repair work and even had some done myself (on my guitar, not on me) and I can tell you I would not hesitate one bit to send my guitar back to the mothership...
I'll second that...
Old 05-10-2023, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Smile Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
I don't live far from the factory and so I have the luxury of bringing my guitar in instead of shipping. It also means I get to see what's coming in and out for repairs while I'm there. Let me just say that I have NEVER had any issue whatsoever with the factory service from Taylor. I've seen some amazing repair work and even had some done myself (on my guitar, not on me) and I can tell you I would not hesitate one bit to send my guitar back to the mothership.
I have had a lot of stuff done at Taylor El Cajon Repair since 1995. Always absolutely killer work. VERY nice and helpful folks too! And I too have seen some absolutely amazing work done there. Fortunately, it was not needed on mine, but all of the work I have had done was done perfectly.

Highly recommended! And, if you’re shipping, be sure to check out pirateship.com, as they can save you money and easier, too.

Go for it

P
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-10-2023, 10:34 PM

Yes, I have and also been there a few times to visit as well.

Taylor customer service is the industry leader in work on their guitars.
If anyone can have your guitar looking and playing new, or as new as possible, it’s Taylor.
100% confidence.
2019 Ryan Nightingale Bearclaw Sitka/EIR

Old 05-10-2023, 11:05 PM

Default a thought

I had superb service from Taylor on a warrantee repair to a headstock veneer delamination. Their fix was to not repair the neck, it was to swap it for a new one. Couldn't be happier.
Old 05-11-2023, 04:35 AM

I sent one back for finish repair.

They did an outstanding job.

It took a while to get it back but I don't think anyone could have come close to the repair they did.

The also put a new nut on, and inspecting the guitar found one brace that they reset

I'd do it again

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-11-2023, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

My experience with Taylor repair was outstanding. I had a faulty ES-2 system which caused an audible hum. After a five minute call, they shipped a new pickup and I had it installed by a local luthier (Taylor authorized).
Old 05-11-2023, 09:39 AM

Hmm. During the past year I needed some work done on my GS Mini-e Koa. I contacted Taylor and their recommendation was to take it to an authorized Taylor service center (dealer). I have one five minutes from me, but when I contacted them I was told they were no longer an authorized warranty center. So, I traveled to another state where the next nearest Taylor authorized repair center was, left my guitar for a week (the repair was minor - electronic) and when I picked it up was told they currently did not have a Taylor certified rep on site!

I will say that my work wasn't overly complex, and the added benefit (to the detriment of my wallet) was that I wound up purchasing a 652ce Builders Edition from them!
Old 05-11-2023, 10:13 AM
Guitar Gourmet

They did wonderful work for me on a 710ce a while back. I've got another guitar at a gold-certified service center right now.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-11-2023, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

I appreciate all of the input. I talked with Taylor Customer Service this morning, my treasured 810e First Edition is boxed up and headed for El Cajon! Fingers crossed!!

Thanks again!
Old 05-12-2023, 04:07 AM

I bought an 810 years ago. Took it for a setup to eliminate a buzz around the 12th fret and the tech said it needed a new neck.

Talked to Taylor and shipped it to them. About 6 weeks later it came back with a new neck. No charge to me. The only bummer was not having the guitar for 6 weeks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion