The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

I never followed through with them because it felt like dealing with a used car salesman. Asked a couple questions and was asked the question of when I would be purchasing in return. Asked for the best price on a particular guitar and was asked the classic "how much do you want to pay?" maybe I just got a bad salesman, but I decided to stay away.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like it would be best to buy from them in person, and play the instrument for enough time to be sure you would want to keep it. Otherwise, if you have to pay shipping costs, and just get a credit (with 48 hours to decide), it only makes sense if it's some kind of rare, unusual, hard to find instrument, and you are willing to accept their policies.

How they want to do business is up to them, and it's easy to see how their policies make sense for minimizing returns, and dealing with instruments returned with even a minor scratch or ding.

It's not like there aren't alternatives, unless they are the only ones with what you want, or you live in that area and don't have other options for demoing in person.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 02-22-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcran View Post
I never followed through with them because it felt like dealing with a used car salesman. Asked a couple questions and was asked the question of when I would be purchasing in return. Asked for the best price on a particular guitar and was asked the classic "how much do you want to pay?" maybe I just got a bad salesman, but I decided to stay away.
+1 same sentiment here

Off to new homes:
Taylor GS8e (2007)
Taylor 110e (2005)
Baby Taylor Rosewood (2000)
Alvarez RD8c (2003)
Old 02-22-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
It does not make sense to expect those who make a living selling things to negotiate against themselves. If one has an offer, why hesitate to make it?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 02-22-2015, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

If they don't show any indication that they're willing to work somewhere below msrp, I don't even bother.
Old 05-28-2023, 04:07 PM

Location: I live in Winter Garden, FL use to live Washington DC area.

Now they also have a restocking fee of 10% plus any damages, and shipping. So if you buy a $6000 guitar you are out automatically $600 plus shipping, and for any damages, maybe needing a rebuffing for $300. Does that sound like someone to deal with? Now I almost never return a guitar. However, the future is uncertain and if you buying without hands on playing then it could be a reality that in your hands the guitar isn't for you. I grew up in a family business and have a good sense of fair play, an very expensive business at that. Now I haven't done business with Eddie's and just on phone call information was left holding the ball. However, this like going into a game knowing the rules are stacked against you then complain about getting burn. Everyone makes the choice according to their sensitivity to pain. Me, passing on it. Just doesn't add up for me there are many other dealers who have better sense of fair play.

1964 Gibson LG-01 SB think it has Adi top.
2014 Collings Baby 2HE
2016 Nick Kukich Franklin custom 13 fret OM
Brazilian/German 60y/o
Old 05-28-2023, 04:49 PM

I have purchased two custom SCGC guitars from Eddies.
One was my 75 trip Around The Sun present to myself. A custom 000 Blackwood/Moon Spruce.
The other was a 2019 NAMM SCGC FTC Granadillo/ Redwood.
I dealt with Matt on both. My comunications were generally very good, The discussions always included or copied Carolyn Sills or Richard Hoover which eliminated any ??? about final product. The 000 woods were selected by Richard Hoover after submitting several set selections to Matt and myself after numerous exchanges and comments btween all parties.
I received fair discounts on both products Without asking....maybe because I established a rapport with Matt prior to my purchases and he knew exactly what I wanted. Matt was alway available by phone during buiness hours and also reacted to my email or voice mail very quickly.
The guitars were shipped 2 day air at no additional frieght charge to me.
Matt also did a video for me for posterity with both guitars.
I had considered consigning a guitar to Eddies but ,as with most dealers ,the Commission rate was rediculous.
I was very pleased with them....YMMV , etc.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...

Last edited by HFox; 05-28-2023 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-28-2023, 05:25 PM

Well here we are over 10 years later, so they must be doing something right.
Old 05-28-2023, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Zombie thread I know but as someone who lives 30 minutes from there I will mention that three times I attempted to buy a guitar that they had in stock. I wanted to drive over and buy it and I was either ignored (no response) or put off (I'm out of town this weekend I'll email you Monday...) every time. There won't be a fourth.
Old 05-28-2023, 05:38 PM

Quote:
bad experience as well...
Old 05-28-2023, 06:55 PM

Default Beware of Karens

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if any of you have dealt with Eddie's Guitars? There are about 50 google reviews (i know not much to judge on) and although most of them are glowing reviews but 15 out of 50 were negative reviews. Hey i know you can't please everyone but i thought i'd be extra cautious. So far their email reponses (Matt and Nathan) to my questions have been prompt and their international shipping rates are very good. I am interested to get a Ltd Edition so not a lot of choice around if not i would have contacted Ted from LA Guitar or Jon/Sharon from MFG.

Any thoughts?
No, you can't just look at the numbers and decide based purely on that.

Although 15 out of 50 is pretty darn high.

But as a rule, if you're going to judge by negative reviews you owe it to yourself to actually read those reviews.

I've seen so many 1-star reviews that are along the lines of "the image on my computer showed turquoise but the guitar itself is totally aqua " or "The UPS guy who delivered this guitar was rude to me!!!" that I always check the why of the review and assign value to it accordingly.

Not to mention the posters (mostly on amazon) who go "This is an amazing product! Highly recommended!" and then give it one star, apparently thinking 1 is highest and 5 is lowest.

Last edited by frankmcr; 05-28-2023 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2023, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
No, you can't just look at the numbers and decide based purely on that.

Although 15 out of 50 is pretty darn high.

But as a rule, if you're going to judge by negative reviews you owe it to yourself to actually read those reviews.

I've seen so many 1-star reviews that are along the lines of "the image on my computer showed turquoise but the guitar itself is totally aqua " or "The UPS guy who delivered this guitar was rude to me!!!" that I always check the why of the review and assign value to it accordingly.

Not to mention the posters (mostly on amazon) who go "This is an amazing product! Highly recommended!" and then give it one star, apparently thinking 1 is highest and 5 is lowest.

I've known the owner since he had Tower Grove Music and wont set foot in
the door of Eddies , my money spends anywhere
Old 05-28-2023, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not-stevehowe View Post
I've known the owner since he had Tower Grove Music and wont set foot in
the door of Eddies , my money spends anywhere
Great. Good for you. You did some real research and you made a decision based on that. Well done.
Old 05-28-2023, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Have bought many guitars from Eddie’s over the last decade or so and always had incredible service, prompt responses and great deals offered to me. Matt is particularly great to work with and I have had 100% good experiences every single time with them. It’s actually shocking to read the bad experiences as it’s so polar from my experience that it doesn’t seem like the same shop. Not sure why others aren’t getting the treatment I’ve received for many years, but I’ve continued to go back because they’ve shown to be a wonderful shop to work with and I’ve bought hundreds of guitars all over the country and have had experiences, good and bad, at lots of y’all’s favorite places but never anything but good ones at Eddie’s.
Old 05-28-2023, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Have bought many guitars from Eddie’s over the last decade or so and always had incredible service, prompt responses and great deals offered to me. Matt is particularly great to work with and I have had 100% good experiences every single time with them. It’s actually shocking to read the bad experiences as it’s so polar from my experience that it doesn’t seem like the same shop. Not sure why others aren’t getting the treatment I’ve received for many years, but I’ve continued to go back because they’ve shown to be a wonderful shop to work with and I’ve bought hundreds of guitars all over the country and have had experiences, good and bad, at lots of y’all’s favorite places but never anything but good ones at Eddie’s.
Matt, is that you?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion