The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-30-2023, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC View Post
No offence to the artificial intelligence thing...but it’s about as wooden and soulless as you’d expect a machine to come up with.

But give it time and I’m sure it’ll be rivalling what a talented human can do.
Yep, it lacks heart, the rhymes are strained and the metaphors fall flat ….for now
But it’s a good platform to get a running start.
With a few creative deep dives it could be the start of something good.

I use AI when stuck on a lyric
I haven’t yet used what it it spits out, but it has taken me me down a path I was not thinking of going down
So I think it’s great tool
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 05-30-2023 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
As long as we don’t give AI power over its own on/off button….

Or the complete and unfettered and unsupervised ability to learn and adapt from it's own misjudgements and mistakes in 24/7 real time...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 05-30-2023, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
Simply put, the one thing that is likely to end humanity, is humanity.

There have been developments over the years, and like anything, they can be used for good or for evil. What remains are the humans behind it and their choice(s) on how to use any technological advancement.

Well said. AI, as it develops, will in time probably improve in it’s bad poetry skills but imitating true human connection, well, I guess we’ll see. Human beings, regardless of AI, still find ways of committing horrific acts against humanity without much help from anything. Compassion, understanding, empathy, gratitude, kindness, forgiveness, generosity and love have powers beyond intelligence, artificial or otherwise.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-30-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC View Post
No offence to the artificial intelligence thing...but it’s about as wooden and soulless as you’d expect a machine to come up with.

But give it time and I’m sure it’ll be rivalling what a talented human can do.
I’m curious what your opinion would’ve been if you had not been told it was done by artificial intelligence?
Old 05-30-2023, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Interesting in a robotic way. A lot of big $.50 words, but not evoking emotion.
Wonder how it would score on a writing test?
Doubt I would buy the album or book.
All cowboy hat and no cattle as they say around here.

Last edited by catndahats; 05-30-2023 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:53 AM

I tried ChatGPT a while back to see if it could help with some song lyrics I was stuck on. I tried "Complete this poem..." and gave it a couple existing lines. I tried "Write song lyrics on the topic of...". I tinkered and tweaked my prompts.

What I ended up with, regardless, was stuff like the poem in this post. It hit a mood, but had no originality or depth. It was, as others have pointed out and I'm well aware, just a string of words put together in patterns from existing text. Only rudimentary rhythmic and rhyme structure. Maybe a little interesting, but not particularly compelling.

I don't think ChatGPT will replace poets or songwriters yet.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Yep, it lacks heart, the rhymes are strained and the metaphors fall flat ….for now
But it’s a good platform to get a running start.
With a few creative deep dives it could be the start of something good.

I use AI when stuck on a lyric
I haven’t yet used what it it spits out, but it has taken me me down a path I was not thinking of going down
So I think it’s great tool

Yes, I think that it can be a great tool to generate creative thinking and maybe shake us out of our ruts. Lots of different possibilities.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-30-2023, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I tried ChatGPT a while back to see if it could help with some song lyrics I was stuck on. I tried "Complete this poem..." and gave it a couple existing lines. I tried "Write song lyrics on the topic of...". I tinkered and tweaked my prompts.

What I ended up with, regardless, was stuff like the poem in this post. It hit a mood, but had no originality or depth. It was, as others have pointed out and I'm well aware, just a string of words put together in patterns from existing text. Only rudimentary rhythmic and rhyme structure. Maybe a little interesting, but not particularly compelling.

I don't think ChatGPT will replace poets or songwriters yet.
One aspect of technology is that it builds on itself and gains momentum as practitioners in the field learn from each other and continue using what they learned to develop further. AI is still in its infancy, but development continues to gather momentum and now the big VCs are investing in it, further feeding the frenzy.

My posting of the "poem" and putting the reference in quotes achieved my intention, which was not to show how great ChatGPT is, but instead to show that it did something and then inspire further discussion, which is what has been happening in this thread. I was curious what folks around here thought and I felt that rather than asking, posting a sample consistent with the interests of this forum would be a good approach, and it has proven to be just that.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-30-2023, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

In a similar vein to what Kori said, AI is a tool invented by man because of a need or desire, like a sickle, or even a gun. Like any tool, it can (and will be) used for good as well as evil. The problem is, as technology advances, the tools become more powerful than what the need intended.
Steve
Old 05-30-2023, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

This is a portion of my response to a friends Facebook post (actual friend & not just a “Facebook” friend) about his newfound source/toy of information and inspiration called AI GPT. Btw, he’s also a gigging guitar player/singer and a luthier...a creative soul.

IMG_1685463052.397929.jpg
Eastman T386SB
Aria Sinsonido AS-100C/SPL (customized to steel string)
Mid 1930’s Kay Kraft Deluxe K2 archtop
Seagull S12 converted to 6 string lap slide
Takamine TF740FS
2008 Pono PGKC (flamed Hawaiian Koa 0 cutaway)
Old 05-30-2023, 10:19 AM

Skynet getting emotional.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakey View Post
Skynet getting emotional.
LOL! Ever since this AI stuff has hit recent news, I can't stop thinking about "The Terminator" series. Is life imitating art?
Steve
Old 05-30-2023, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

IMHO, I would rather not have something external compose lyrics when I am stuck. My perspective is that what makes my songs mine is that they are written from my heart, mind, and soul. And yeah, collaboration with another artist brings in another mind, body and soul which could be thought as equal by some, but my understanding is that AI brings in billions of data points and experiences to produce the output but it is not generated from the experience of the artist which is how I define what it is to be an artist. That said, art is limitless so if those out there want to use tools et al., it does not bother me as long as they bring their PC, Tablet, or phone up to the podium with them when accepting that Grammy. : ) One thing is for sure, it's fascinating!!!

Last edited by waterlooz; 05-30-2023 at 10:50 AM. Reason: forgot text
Old 05-30-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
LOL! Ever since this AI stuff has hit recent news, I can't stop thinking about "The Terminator" series. Is life imitating art?
Steve
I'm really looking forward hearing how those Robert Patrick's yacht rock compositions might sound.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlooz View Post
IMHO, I would rather not have something external compose lyrics when I am stuck.
My purpose for trying ChatGPT was not to have it compose lyrics for me. I had lower hopes: that it might come up with something--some word, concept, idea--that had eluded me so far, and spark my *own* creativity. In the end, the AI didn't do any better than I had with a thesaurus and rhyming dictionary.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic