The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2023, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcf View Post
Matt, is that you?
Nope, Just an honest hardworking American sharing my positive experience. Matt’s a really good guy and wouldn’t need to pretend to be someone else. He is, or at least used to be on this forum.
Old 05-28-2023, 10:04 PM

Great experience, online purchase. Follow through. Response and quick shipped. Got my phenomenal Ad27e flametop maple Taylor. Was about a year ago. Ymmv.
Old 05-28-2023, 10:33 PM

Experienced unacceptably poor communication from them, especially considering the amount of the potential expenditure. So, I turned to a different seller and that worked out great for me.
Old 05-28-2023, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Eddie's Guitars??

I had a very negative experience with them with the one purchase I made, and got stuck with. I cannot consider them for future business, which is a shame because I see a lot of great guitars advertised by them. I really wanted to like them as Eddie is my middle name!
I have not had negative experience with any other legit dealers, so I don’t think I’m overly picky. I’m a good customer and I’ve bought many guitars online at a distance, and I don’t encounter problems often. I realize they have great guitars. And that this thread is really old.

Last edited by RussellHawaii; 05-29-2023 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

I was there last month. Started a thread about it when I got back home. My experience was positive.

Their post-pandemic business model is a bit unusual. You call them up, tell them what you are interested in trying out, and make an appointment. When you arrive, you have to ring the doorbell and they will let you in. They then take you to a room where the guitar(s) you asked to see is all tuned up and ready for you.

I tried out a Bourgeois Touchstone dread. Very nice, but I did not buy it. Played it for about 45 minutes, then left. Talked to 2-3 guys while there, and everyone was very nice.

PS, there are two other nice shops worth checking out within a couple blocks of Eddie's. Music Folk and David's Guitar Loft are right there in Webster Groves.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferganzo View Post
They do not mention "refund" in their refund policy. It's obvious in it's omittance that something needs to be asked. I always look at these closely when buying on line...and then ask in an email for clarification if I'm not clear on it.

Return Policy
We have a 48 hour exchange period on all mail order items (excludes layaways and special orders). Exchanges must be complete and in the original condition, original packaging with all accessories and complete documentation (owner’s manual, warranty card, hang tags, etc.), show no signs of wear or use, and include the Return Authorization Number provided by your sales associate. Items which are not normally stocked (special orders, oversized or overweight items, discontinued products, close-outs, used products, layaways, etc.) are not returnable. Customer is responsible for all shipping charges on exchanged items, both to and from. We do not ship the following the brands outside USA: Fender, EVH, Gretsch, Guild.
That's would be enough to make me look elsewhere.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 05-29-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferganzo View Post
They do not mention "refund" in their refund policy. It's obvious in it's omittance that something needs to be asked. I always look at these closely when buying on line...and then ask in an email for clarification if I'm not clear on it.

Return Policy
We have a 48 hour exchange period on all mail order items (excludes layaways and special orders). Exchanges must be complete and in the original condition, original packaging with all accessories and complete documentation (owner’s manual, warranty card, hang tags, etc.), show no signs of wear or use, and include the Return Authorization Number provided by your sales associate. Items which are not normally stocked (special orders, oversized or overweight items, discontinued products, close-outs, used products, layaways, etc.) are not returnable. Customer is responsible for all shipping charges on exchanged items, both to and from. We do not ship the following the brands outside USA: Fender, EVH, Gretsch, Guild.
Believe that is not a 'refund' policy but a 'return' policy.

I did try on two separate occasions to get in touch with Matt or someone regarding a purchase - once he was on vacation and I received no return call, the guitar went elsewhere before I knew it -
the other time they had 'phone issues" and again no return call, again lost the opportunity to procure the guitar they had for sale at the time. These have been my only direct, personal instances.
Maybe things are better now, don't know
2019 Ryan Nightingale Bearclaw Sitka/EIR

Old 05-29-2023, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellHawaii View Post
I had a very negative experience with them with the one purchase I made, and got stuck with. I cannot consider them for future business, which is a shame because I see a lot of great guitars advertised by them. I really wanted to like them as Eddie is my middle name!
I have not had negative experience with any other legit dealers, so I don’t think I’m overly picky. I’m a good customer and I’ve bought many guitars online at a distance, and I don’t encounter problems often. I realize they have great guitars. ---And that this thread is really old.
"And that this thread is really old "
RussellHawaii I appreciate you pointing out the start date of this thread..... It puts much in context for me regarding this whole subject.
I too was taken aback by all the negative responses and did a little thinking.... Eddies Guitars is a business owned by an indvidule who operates that business as he wishes or in a way he finds most reward with least risk.
If we as consumers don't like the way he operates we can go else where and spend our " dinero ".

"

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 05-29-2023, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
I was there last month. Started a thread about it when I got back home. My experience was positive.

Their post-pandemic business model is a bit unusual. You call them up, tell them what you are interested in trying out, and make an appointment. When you arrive, you have to ring the doorbell and they will let you in. They then take you to a room where the guitar(s) you asked to see is all tuned up and ready for you.

I tried out a Bourgeois Touchstone dread. Very nice, but I did not buy it. Played it for about 45 minutes, then left. Talked to 2-3 guys while there, and everyone was very nice.

PS, there are two other nice shops worth checking out within a couple blocks of Eddie's. Music Folk and David's Guitar Loft are right there in Webster Groves.
Your experience was the opposite of mine. The first time I just walked in and was told to make an appointment. Fair enough, I did that a few weeks later and asked for a few guitars. I did get to play all of them but at about the 15 min mark I was told there was another appointment and it was implied I needed to wrap it up.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Count me in as a big fan of Eddies. One of the few stores left that continuously pushes the envelope with custom builds. Froggy Bottom, Santa Cruz, Collings, Bourgeois, Preston Thompson, Ryan, and numerous others. Lots of Brazilian, the Tree, Koa, Macassar, etc. Not many other shops place those orders for store stock and, instead, put the onus on the customer to do a custom build (which Eddies is also happy to do). They also provide excellent content via the Youtube channel and showcase new arrivals on a regular basis. I've had nothing but positive experiences and think they are one of the top acoustic shops in the country.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Your experience was the opposite of mine. The first time I just walked in and was told to make an appointment. Fair enough, I did that a few weeks later and asked for a few guitars. I did get to play all of them but at about the 15 min mark I was told there was another appointment and it was implied I needed to wrap it up.
Thanks for this and your previous response. It's saved me the drive up from Memphis.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapour View Post
Thanks for this and your previous response. It's saved me the drive up from Memphis.
Its not worth the drive from Memphis brother, go the Gruhns, Carters etc

Rude employees at this store except for Matt the bearded wonder

When the owner dies this shop will go downhill quick
Old 05-30-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not-stevehowe View Post
Its not worth the drive from Memphis brother, go the Gruhns, Carters etc

Rude employees at this store except for Matt the bearded wonder

When the owner dies this shop will go downhill quick
Hah, thanks! I did a tour of those over my kids' spring break. I always love the atmosphere at Gruhn's, but wonder how anyone can hear what a guitar sounds like at Carter. I wound up with an E20ooss/v from Corner!
Old 10-01-2023, 12:12 PM

Default Eddie’s guitars.

Thought I’d update this one to Sept / 2023 . Just took delivery on a high-end guitar from Eddie’s….. the guitar is great , no problem. But the set-up was really no setup at all. I doubt they did anything to it…. And it really could have used one. I called them on it , and the manager said they were super busy that day , and he’d make it up to me on the next one. LOL….I don’t think he’ll get the chance. About 6 weeks ago , I bought a similar guitar from Fullers Guitars in Texas….. and the setup was excellent. Food for thought.
Old 10-01-2023, 03:24 PM

Matt is great. The store is stocked with fabulous guitars. It's true that you call first about a particular guitar(s) and if they have it you set up an appt and they will have it ready for you to play. They are generally fairly pleasant to deal with but not always. They acted pretty disinterested the day I was there.

I don't have any experience dealing with them on shipping as they are a 40 min drive from here. Their business model isn't for everyone I'll leave it at that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion