The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2023, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas30066 View Post
Hope it's a great fit for years to come. I like the midgrade Yamaha stuff well enough in the shops but would love to find an LL or LS16 in person and get a better sense of the substance.
I hope you will. Brought more than I was expecting really. I certainly played a lot of Yamaha's starting out. If you can find one I highly recommend it!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-27-2023, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I owned the Mahogany model with ARE. It was the best sounding guitar I had owned until got my A5R. My only gripe was the plugged in tone was not to my liking. I'm spoiled by my LLX6A with A.R.T. Anyway, the LL models look great, are well made, and sound incredible acoustically. Run through an acoustic amp or through a paracoustic DI a great tone can be had through the Zero Impact pickup.

I did upgrade my nut and saddle to Tusq and went with Ebony bridge pins.

YamahaGuy, is the ART system sound board transducers? If so, is it still available? How would u compare it to Atmos Feel?
Old 05-28-2023, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

I owned a couple of LS16s (and an A3M) among my 2 dozen or so good guitars over the years, with good Taylors, Yairis, Eastmans, Guild, etc. in the mix. Played some nice vintage Martins, too.
The LS16 had almost everything I was looking for, but not the bottom end I missed from the dreads, and not quite the "chime" of the Taylor 416 or 812 I had. I resisted the LL16 for a long time because of the large body size, but I found a like new LL16D that I couldn't walk away from.
It is quite large, bigger than standard dread size, but the size pays off in volume, bottom end power, increased sustain and "dimensionality" over the LS16, without boominess or obfuscation. I just love it. A marvel, not just for the price, but in absolute terms. Somewhat like a good Taylor, perhaps with slightly less finesse, but with real muscle.
No, it doesn't sound "like" a Martin, or a Taylor, etc., but beautiful on its own terms.
One fine guitar will never be favored by everyone over all others, and there are plenty of reasons why others might be preferred, but the clear, powerful tone, and build quality of the LL16 floats my boat.
I don't practice with it due to size, but when I want to hear that full range power and tone I pick it up and smile.

Last edited by jonbee; 05-28-2023 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-28-2023, 01:38 PM

I once owned a LS-16ARE : Ended finding the highs too bright for me.
Tried an LL-16 in store : same issue to my ears.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
I once owned a LS-16ARE : Ended finding the highs too bright for me.
Tried an LL-16 in store : same issue to my ears.
No argument there. Our tastes vary greatly, as in all things. To me, the Yammies have a balance I prefer, while I feel the big Martins are a bit too warm- for me.
Of course, string selection comes into play. I like D'Addario nickel-bronze BT on my Yammies. NB are a little warmer than some others.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltazar View Post
I bought my LL16 in november -17, and it has been with me all over the world. I just love it, simple as that. I've owned several Gibsons, Takamines, Martins, etc, but this Yamaha is the one for me. Every single detail is just right. Would recommend this guitar to anyone, great guitar!
Hello Baltazar!

I see this is your first post! Welcome to the AGF! I hope you enjoy things here!

- Glenn
Old 05-29-2023, 02:46 PM

Fantastic guitars – beautiful shimmering overtones and easy supply.
Using Martin retro Monell strings reduces the overtones and brightness a little giving a slightly more fundamental sound which is warm and clear.

Monels give it the best of both worlds between the D18 and D28…on a budget.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Timing View Post
Using Martin retro Monell strings reduces the overtones and brightness a little giving a slightly more fundamental sound which is warm and clear.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yep...thanks...I'll have to try a set of those!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-30-2023, 12:27 PM

For strings, my LLX6a and both LLX16s do well with D'Addario Nickel Bronze or Ernie Ball Aluminum bronze.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:12 AM

Quote:

Oh man, I've tried retro Monels on my LL16 twice, and I gave it over 4 weeks, I've never wanted to throw a guitar in a bonfire so bad, to my ears that combination of guitar and strings produces the most awful metallic ear wrenching tone.
I do really love those strings on my Guild however, maybe it's the way I hear or something.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:25 AM

Had one of these briefly. Ll16m. Sold it fairly quickly. Nicely built but thin tone. Resonance was great but sound had no depth. Maybe i got a lemon. I think FG830s sound great
Old 05-31-2023, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

I am considering one of the LL-16s for a backup guitar for my wife. I started her out during Covid on a FS800 just to see if she was going to stick with it. This year I bought her a L-00 as an upgrade since she is still taking lessons and trying hard at it. I am going to gift the FS800 to a family member and am looking around for a $800-1000 guitar for her #2.

+

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion