The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-25-2023, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Default Emerald revisited

This is a companion thread to my "Sable revisited" thread in which my Sable had a neck adjustment and setup that resulted in an extremely easy to play instrument.

Having just retrieved both my X20 6 and 7 string Emeralds from St. Paul Guitar Repair, I can happily report that these both now play just as easily as my Sable. In fact, prior to the setup, I had to tune down the X20-7 a whole step to make it relatively easily playable. When I retrieved it, it was tuned to standard pitch and plays even easier. Since apparently, the neck angle on the Emeralds can't be adjusted, this means that they were set the way I would like it right from the factory.

So now both McPhersons (Sable and Touting) and both Emeralds are setup with "freakishly low" action and I am an extremely happy camper.

Even better is that I don't have to choose between McPherson and Emerald, I have both in true AGF style.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-25-2023, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
This is a companion thread to my "Sable revisited" thread in which my Sable had a neck adjustment and setup that resulted in an extremely easy to play instrument.

Having just retrieved both my X20 6 and 7 string Emeralds from St. Paul Guitar Repair, I can happily report that these both now play just as easily as my Sable. In fact, prior to the setup, I had to tune down the X20-7 a whole step to make it relatively easily playable. When I retrieved it, it was tuned to standard pitch and plays even easier. Since apparently, the neck angle on the Emeralds can't be adjusted, this means that they were set the way I would like it right from the factory.

So now both McPhersons (Sable and Touting) and both Emeralds are setup with "freakishly low" action and I am an extremely happy camper.

Even better is that I don't have to choose between McPherson and Emerald, I have both in true AGF style.

Tony
We really need a "LIKE" button here.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
We really need a "LIKE" button here.
Ditto! I'm delighted that you've got them both dialed in to your exact requirements.

Next time I see you, Tony, it would probably be best if you kept the 7-string out of sight - otherwise I might be tempted to make off with it again

As a matter of interest, did the folks at SPGR offer any comment about the Emeralds? I can't imagine they've seen many come through the door.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-25-2023, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Ditto! I'm delighted that you've got them both dialed in to your exact requirements.

Next time I see you, Tony, it would probably be best if you kept the 7-string out of sight - otherwise I might be tempted to make off with it again

As a matter of interest, did the folks at SPGR offer any comment about the Emeralds? I can't imagine they've seen many come through the door.
Yes, as a matter of act. Michellle worked on both of them and said they "were a real pleasure to work on". She is quite impressed with them, but she was similarly impressed with the McPhersons too. Prior to Emerald and McPherson, the few carbon fiber instruments she had seen prior, she was not impressed with. She didn't mention brand names, but then that is not her style to talk down about guitars. She was really impressed with the sound of both the McPhersons and Emeralds.

When I first brought them in, she said the X20 6 string "would need work". Apparently the nut slots were not deep enough, it need relief set up, and the saddle lowered. She remember the 7 string, but didn't say too much about it. After I left, I realized I had not mentioned two items:

1. The 7 string was tuned a whole step low so I could play it because it was too stiff otherwise.
2. The Allen wrench for setting the relief was in the hard shell case.

When I went to pick them up, she had the 7 string tuned to pitch, which was fortunate because I found it now plays that way so easily. She had the correct Allen wrench in her tool set, so no problem there.

I have decided to bring my Gibson Citation for her to adjust at some point. It is fine, but she and Ron both do magic with these instruments. I had been planning on selling my Eastman FV-880 archtop until I got that back from Ron. Now, I am playing it a lot. The smaller body and wider fretboard are ideal.

It would be great to try an Emerald Kestrel someday. If that could be made to play as easily as the X20 and X20-7, it would be a "home run" for the archtop world.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-25-2023, 02:46 PM

Default Emerald revisited

QUOTE=tbeltrans;7256443]Since apparently, the neck angle on the Emeralds can't be adjusted, this means that they were set the way I would like it right from the factory…[/QUOTE]

Confused - What is the truss rod for if you cannot adjust the neck relief on an Emerald?
Old 05-25-2023, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Confused - What is the truss rod for if you cannot adjust the neck relief on an Emerald?
The truss rod works as you'd expect, for relief. The neck angle can't be changed, however, because it's not bolted on like a MacPherson.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-25-2023, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
The truss rod works as you'd expect. The neck angle can't be changed, however, because it's not bolted on like a MacPherson.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, thanks. I’m confusing angle with relief.
Old 05-25-2023, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
QUOTE=tbeltrans;7256443]Since apparently, the neck angle on the Emeralds can't be adjusted, this means that they were set the way I would like it right from the factory…
Confused - What is the truss rod for if you cannot adjust the neck relief on an Emerald?[/QUOTE]

You can adjust neck relief, but not neck angle as you can on the McPherson. I will reread my original post to see if I mistyped and said "relief instead of my intended "neck angle" about what can't be adjusted, and come back here to own up if I did. Please see my post below since that quote of mine is what I said and I am confused by steelvibe's question. I am not at all an expert and maybe I have it all wrong.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 05-25-2023 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-25-2023, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
QUOTE=tbeltrans;7256443]Since apparently, the neck angle on the Emeralds can't be adjusted, this means that they were set the way I would like it right from the factory…
Confused - What is the truss rod for if you cannot adjust the neck relief on an Emerald?[/QUOTE]

Now I am confused. When did "neck angle" mean "relief"?

I am not a guitar tech, so I may be completely off here, but here is my understanding of measuring the two (which to me would indicate they are different things):

- Neck angle - lay a straight edge along the neck and see where it lines up at the bridge (the angle of the neck relative to the body)

- Relief - fret the 6th string at the first and 12th frets and see how far above the frets the string is in between (the amount of bow in the neck)

Somebody please set me straight because at this point, either the quoted post is completely off or I am, and I would readily admit to be confused and even wrong.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-25-2023, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The truss rod works as you'd expect. The neck angle can't be changed, however, because it's not bolted on like a MacPherson.

Ahh, thanks. I’m confusing angle with relief.[/QUOTE]

OK....please ignore my two posts following the quote post. I was getting confused in all this.

Thanks,

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 05-25-2023 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2023, 05:38 PM

Glad to hear that they got the setup right for you, Tony. I don't have a similar setup wizard near me. While I have set up several of my guitars of necessity, I'm no wizard. More nut slots have been ruined than improved at my hand. Mine are now all OK but might not meet your very high standard for very low action.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Glad to hear that they got the setup right for you, Tony. I don't have a similar setup wizard near me. While I have set up several of my guitars of necessity, I'm no wizard. More nut slots have been ruined than improved at my hand. Mine are now all OK but might not meet your very high standard for very low action.
That is my problem too. At least in my case, these things are best left to the professionals. A good set up by a skilled person can really make a difference in our daily enjoyment of the instrument. It doesn't take long to amortize the cost of the setup. I want the action as low as possible, and that can be tricky while avoiding buzzes. I play fingerstyle with bare fingers and have a light touch, so very low action doesn't have to result in buzzing for me.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-26-2023, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
While I have set up several of my guitars of necessity, I'm no wizard. More nut slots have been ruined than improved at my hand.
Yes, same here. When I need any nut changes I resort to Gold Tone custom made Zero Glide nuts. It does require taking accurate measurements, but if you did your homework correctly they can do an excellent job.

In the end it is not much cheaper than having a setup done by a luthier, especially with the shipping cost to Europe and added tax duties, but I also prefer the tone of the open strings with the Zero Glide.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber