The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-18-2023, 11:44 AM

Default Any Emerald Virtuo owners?

I’ve been looking at Emerald guitars recently. Going to do some travels and want one to take along.

I started out looking at the x7 for obvious reasons but I noticed the Virtuo and it looks intriguing.

I have 3 very nice acoustic guitars and one fender strat. It occurred to me the Virtuo could double as another electric with flexility to play acoustic stuff in the same gig

That’s IF it will be satisfactory acoustically not plugged in.

Can any owners comment on that? How loud is it playing alone? If you played in a living room or around a campfire could others hear it?

Otherwise not sure if it would be an ideal travel or take-along guitar.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-09-2023, 07:12 PM

It is far louder than a Strat or other solid body electric.
It is quiet compared to a normal acoustic.
It is a thin body, and so acoustically it will be relatively light and "thin" in tone.
To be able to play somewhat quietly when everyone is asleep, that's when I usually use it.
Old 05-10-2023, 05:10 PM

Thank you very much for your help
Old 05-11-2023, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

I'm curious how much of an issue feedback is at higher volumes when using the hum buckers with a high amount of overdrive/distortion? I wish they would take this design and do a solid body version with a trem... I bet they could as they did do a couple different solid body electrics some years back;the Steve Vai Alien guitar and the electric for that stage show that was scrapped. War of the worlds I think it was?

I won't bother asking right now though because for a custom job like that, I'm pretty sure the price would be out of the affordable realm shall we say.
Old 05-12-2023, 11:09 AM

That’s my point. Why would we word it that way?

But how is your Virtuo? I’ve been looking at X7s as a travel guitar. And then I saw the Virtuo and wondered if it could function to travel but also give some flexibility on stage.

Do you like it? Is it trying to do too much?

How does it sound unplugged? How would it do as a travel instrument in terms of tone and weight?
Old 05-18-2023, 11:45 AM

I've been eyballing a Virtuo for some time now—I own an X20 already and it has become my primary acoustic. But I've been hesitant on pulling the trigger.

From the intel I've gathered, the Virtuo would be best in scenarios where you'd likely already be playing an electric, but would like some more acoustic-sounding tone options while still plugged in. It's a performer's guitar that gives you oodles of tones (and more than oodles if you get into midi). Or, as someone stated above, very quiet acoustic playing on the couch at night to not wake up the rest of the house. An X7 would project much more than a Virtuo, which is not a "travel guitar" like the X7 is IMO.

But I have a late-90s PRS CE-22 that I adore for hum/split tones already. And the X20 for great acoustic tones. It's hard to justify the $3k+ to hope that mashing them together in a Virtuo would be worth it or not.

So I'm still on the fence. Maybe if I find myself flush suddenly I'll pull the trigger on one. But even the recent 10% off coupon I got from the builder sweeps doesn't have me jumping quite yet.

-T
Old 05-21-2023, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

I just picked up one on the secondary market. Now trying to find my way around the switches and knobs. Lot of possibilities. Already a lot of fun. It's early, but at this point I'd say more electric than acoustic.
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber