The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2023, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
I have two Custom Shop guitars, and in addition to the stamp on the neck block one has a paper label on the inside of the back that says:

"Custom Shop
Handcrafted by
The Martin Custom Shop for
[Name]"

and is signed by Chris Martin IV. Not sure when that was the practice.
I don't think that was ever standard practice. Rather, I recall it being a selectable custom option for an additional upcharge,

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 06-04-2023, 09:43 PM

I just had a look, and mine says

CF Martin & Co. (the CF is fancy scroll lettering)
est.1833
CustomShop (in scroll lettering)
followed by the serial number.

Mine has herringbone purfling, so I presume that makes it a "HD-28"

The top looks as if it has never been played. There's not even the slightest scratch from a pick,,, frets are as new.

The only negative, ,, the end-pin is missing. I suspect the previous owner had installed a pick-up, and he removed the end-pin for a jack

I've only had a few minutes playing time (finger-style), and this guitar is L-O-U-D.

I'll contact Martin to get the build-sheet specs.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:14 PM

Default a thought

Bobby, look in the case compartment with a lid. I think CFM ships the instruments with the endpin loose in that compartment.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:24 PM

Well,,,I'll be ****ed,,, Just as you said, the end-pin was there, under a little booklet which also contained the build specs.

It looks like I hit it right on regarding the jack for a pick-up, because the hole is too large for the end pin. The pin falls completely through the hole. Actually, I think I'd prefer the threaded jack anyway, since I can tighten it more securely from inside the body with a nut/washer. FWIW, I play seated anyway. My back is shot (spinal stenosis)

The build-sheet says Sitka VTS top, w/ black ebony fingerboard and bridge,, bone nut and bone end-pins and saddle, scalloped bracing, low-profile neck and the various measurements, solid EI Rosewood, etc.

Thanks for that tip Phavriluk.

Last edited by Bobby1note; 06-04-2023 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post
Well,,,I'll be ****ed,,, Just as you said, the end-pin was there, under a little booklet which also contained the build specs.

It looks like I hit it right on regarding the jack for a pick-up, because the hole is too large for the end pin. The pin falls completely through the hole. Actually, I think I'd prefer the threaded jack anyway, since I can tighten it more securely from inside the body with a nut/washer. FWIW, I play seated anyway. My back is shot (spinal stenosis)

The build-sheet says Sitka VTS top, w/ black ebony fingerboard and bridge,, bone nut and bone end-pins and saddle, scalloped bracing, low-profile neck and the various measurements, solid EI Rosewood, etc.

Thanks for that tip Phavriluk.
In theory, one could add herringbone trim to a D-18 base model, so the trim alone doesn’t indicate much. What makes your guitar an “HD-28”-like guitar is the fact that it has a spruce top, rosewood back and sides and, most importantly, scalloped bracing. Note that the “HD” is a modern designation for that combination. Pre-war guitars with those features were simply D-28s, which is why Authentics and Modern Deluxes with those features are just called D-28s. In any case, if you were to describe your guitar (e.g., to sell it, etc.), it’s probably helpful to describe it as a “custom HD-28.”

There may be other custom features that you haven’t listed, but the VTS top is a custom option.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:07 AM

Default a thought

Stew-Mac sells an endpin intended to do just the job OP mentioned, 'nojack'. These look entirely normal once installed.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I'm tentatively picking up a used Martin D-28 "Custom Shop" in a few days, and I'm wondering how to verify if the guitar is indeed a "Custom-Shop" D-28. The store has referred to the guitar as an "HD-28",,, and sometimes as a "Custom-Shop D-28". I presume the precise model name is "burned" into the heel of the neck, visible inside the body cavity. Would it actually say "Custom-Shop D-28"??

I tried searching yesterday, and couldn't find a Custom-Shop model with the letters HD-28,,, only Custom-Shop D-28 (no letter H).

Also, how would I determine the age of the guitar? and is it possible to determine what the top wood is? (Adirondak vs Sitka for example.)

Thanks in advance. Aside from my old Martin Shenandoah 12-string (D28-12V), I'm new to Martin model names,
Simply call Martin. They can e mail you the build sheet.
Old 06-05-2023, 09:05 AM

I had a Custom Shop OM-28 (2012). The neck block was stamped in script "Custom Shop." It was originally ordered by Elderly Instruments.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 06-05-2023, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aK_bAsh7 View Post
Simply call Martin. They can e mail you the build sheet.
In post #19, the OP says that he found the build sheet in the storage compartment in the case. As you point out, Martin’s customer service department is pretty good about providing spec sheets for guitars, which is particularly useful for custom guitars purchased secondhand.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:19 PM

Apparently my CustomShop HD-28 also has a "torrified" top. I've got to do a lil' more research on that subject. From what I basically understand, it's a moisture-extraction process of some sort ????
Old 06-06-2023, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Apparently my CustomShop HD-28 also has a "torrified" top. I've got to do a lil' more research on that subject. From what I basically understand, it's a moisture-extraction process of some sort ????
A terrified top is baked at a low-ish temperature to “age” and dry out the wood, making it sound more like a vintage guitar (at least theoretically).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion