The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-27-2023, 07:07 AM

There's a great misconception that the banjo drowns out every other instrument. Maybe in a intimate setting like a song circle. On stage good luck. No mic has ever worked for me. You will not hear yourself and you will not be heard. You will struggle with feedback. I have used k and k banjo pickups to good effect. The pads that contain the piezo are small enough to not mute the banjo making it still enjoyable to play unplugged. More recently I am using a clip on KNA model BP-1. Plug into a acoustic amp, mic the amp.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:32 PM

I also use a clip on KNA bp-1 banjo pickup. I use it on my Claro walnut Wildwood Troubadour open back. When playing with others it is hard to get enough volume and gain using an instrument mic. I have used a Shure Beta 57a for many years, but now days really prefer having a pickup. I think with maybe a bit of EQ the KNA has a very nice tone. It's easy and quick to put on and take off. And the price is quite reasonable.

Last edited by firelakekid2; 05-27-2023 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Any mic will do, just don’t plug it in.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-29-2023, 04:36 PM

I've heard banjo with no problem at our local festival. I asked a few years ago what mics they were using, and sound guy said 57s. (Some bands bring their own mics, of course.)

D.H.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
I've heard banjo with no problem at our local festival. I asked a few years ago what mics they were using, and sound guy said 57s. (Some bands bring their own mics, of course.)

D.H.
One of the most interesting banjo players I've been in close contact with is Richie Stearns. His stage setup was open back banjo with a 57 strapped to the perch pole and running out to a mid-size Fender tube amp sitting in a cradle so it was angled up towards him. The amp was angled maybe 30 degrees from horizontal.

Out to the PA mains from that, but I don't remember if he was D.I. or if there was another mic on the cone of the Fender.

I can tell you he had an extremely loud stage volume!
Old 06-02-2023, 11:17 AM

Here's my current pickup.

It's two 5/8" diameter piezo disks mounted on small wood knobs and positioned about 1/2" behind bridge feet. The knobs are chambered under the piezo disk centers so the disks can move in response to head movement. The transducers are mounted with porous foam tape about 1/8" thick, that makes for a less sharp tone, which I find good for banjo.

The output jack is located above the tailpiece, and it works well with a right angle plug.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments